600 Troopers On Patrol For Deadliest Day On Minn. Roads

ST. PAUL (WCCO) — The State Patrol will be out in full force in the next 48 hours for what troopers call “Maroon Day.”

Nearly 600 troopers will be on patrol in an effort to increase their presence on highways on June 30 — historically the deadliest day on Minnesota roads.

Since 2000, more fatal crashes occurred on June 30 than any other day of the year, with 30 fatal crashes and 35 deaths.

“Really the goal is to make June 30 not like one of the previous ones it has been the last 10 years,” said Lt. Eric Roeske of the Minnesota State Patrol.

So far this year, there has been 130 traffic deaths, compared to 166 at this time last year. In 2010, 411 people were killed on Minnesota roads.

“Obviously, that’s a great improvement, as 2010 was a historically low year. But it’s still over nearly 130 people killed, which is far, far too many. Naturally we’re pleased with that progress but we still have a long ways to go,” Roeske said.

The State Patrol believes gas prices and weather have led to less travel this year, and as a result, less fatalities. But what they are really hoping is that drivers are taking the roadways more seriously.

“It really comes down to people making common sense decisions. Don’t drink and drive, wear your seatbelt, don’t speed, it’s really that simple,” Roeske said.

More from John Lauritsen
Comments

1. Andrew Mostovoy says:

I commend the law enforcement community for the additional patrols. Here’s a request however:
    – Stop wasting your time and my tax dollars writing tickets to people driving10-15 mph on clear roads in good conditions
    – Start writing tickets to people driving erratically because they are on the phone
    – Not using signals because they are on the phone
    – Obstructing traffic in the left lane
    – Driving vehicles that are not road-worthy (bald tires, cracked windshields, loose body panels)
    – Don’t intimidate traffic by slowing down to the exact posted limit, newsflash: no one drives 55mph on i394 because this limit, as many others in MN, is retarded.
    Your help on our roadways is greatly appreciated, please focus on the right stuff.

1. Matt says:

Thanks Andy, your dead on…

Please if we are going to have law enforcement use them for value added activities. Ever have you identity stolen and call the police? GOOD LUCK… Get off the roads and start working on real issues.

2. Trooper Says ... says:

Dayton’s mobile revenue raisers will be out in full force before he shuts it all down … watch your wallets!

1. Mindy says:

REALLY???? You must not be the smartest person in the world. When you get a ticket you pay the county in which you got the ticket not the STATE! DUH. Maybe you are one of those people who drive drunk, text while driving and then kill innocent people. If you know anything about working for the state you would know we do not get that much revenue from tickets!

1. idiocracy says:

But you have a job. Regardless of actual money and where it goes, the numbers from traffic stops are going to be a large factor in personnel decisions. The more stops/tickets, the more the appointed managment gets to go to the governing bodies and ask for more staff. More numbers, more staff, more reputation points for the chief. Conversely, if the budget needs to be cut, the numbers help retain personnel.

Plus, you can’t say that 100+ dollars isn’t a revenue. Sure, you might not get a large cut, but the money doesn’t just disappear after it comes out of the public’s pocket.

I’m thinking the thing that saves the most lives will be this announcement.

2. TAXED says:

But the state DOES get revenue from BS tickets nonetheless……….

3. REAL Trooper Says.... says:

Forget your wallets. Watch your speed, cell phone use, seatbelt use, and the traffic around you. That way, you’ll have no problems.

1. Rep. Michele Bachmann says:

Speaking of cell phone use, I’ll bet you are on the damn thing more than a regular person. Either way there should be a law banning everyone (including law enforcement) from using them.

2. Don_J says:

I hope they work this budget out so that you guys don’t loose your jobs…

3. Sarah in Outstate MN says:

Real Trooper, good advice. Pay attention and wear safety belt. Exactly what I learned in drivers training 20 years ago and still true.

4. Bobby Harrington says:

its just one big robbery all they want is money

5. Govt shutdown says:

Mobile cash registers! Don’t drive on the roads. they will nail you for anything! Gotta make money for their boss!

6. Dan says:

I, for one, am glad they’ll be out. I wish there were more of them!! You need only drive a couple of miles anywhere and see there is no shortage of aggressive, idiotic drivers.

1. PeaceKeeper says:

God Bless Our Troopers!

7. How Much Does That Cost? says:

The budget crisis rumors must be the sky falling.

8. Les Johnson says:

Everywhere I drive, I see women texting and driving.

Seriously, females, put your GD phone away. The car is not your place to catch up on gossip while you drive. You’re driving. Please try to take it seriously for once.

Where are you on those ones, Mr. Trooper?

1. Hang Up and Drive says:

Agree Hang Up the dang phone. Oh you don’t think I can see you there looking down and texting on the phone. The conversation is not that important or talk on speaker phone.

2. Jean says:

Men are texting and driving too. I just saw two men on my way home on 494 south. Driving in the left lane, weaving, texting, one guy even had ear buds in his ears and driving 50 mph. Not paying one bit of attention. I also did see a woman texting on 101 south in a gray Volvo with two young kids in the back seat. She came into my lane two times, I honked at her to warn her but she ignored me and came into my lane yet again.

1. Les Johnson says:

I saw a girl yesterday with iPod ear buds in. As a matter of fact, I see that all the time. You people doing this do realize this is incredibly dangerous, not to mention illegal, right?? Why would people think this is a good idea?

My wife had a woman (and I use that term loosely) who was in the left lane of Hwy 61 going North out of Hastings, going 45 mph and texting. She was holding up traffic, and my wife passed her in the right lane and honked and mouthed the words “stop texting” to her, and the chick flipped out. She swerved over and slammed on her brakes in front of my wife, and then got behind her and tailgated her so close the front of her blue volkswagon station wagon was not visible in the rear view.

A quick call to the police, and she was pulled over and having a tantrum at 80th St and 61 in Cottage Grove. I hope she saw my wife smile and wave at her as she went by.

3. Women Cell Phone Users says:

Agreed……women, is it that hard to get a bluetooth or what? Get the phone out of your hand.

9. Unknown says:

Actually, 8% goes to county, 5.00 to the police dept. The rest goes to the state.

10. Stewart longerman says:

We are in tough times and what do we do? More spending , how about leaving I dont know 150 of them home so that they are not all on overtime. The time has come to stand up to goverment. They are killing this great country.

1. Les Johnson says:

I wasn’t aware the MN state government was ruining the entire country. Can you give more details please?

11. Jbally Jball says:

To many cops around makes me nervous that I might drive wrongly. This is what triggers an accident!!! The more COPS = the more ACCIDENTS

12. Darren says:

Les, It doesn’t say Minnesota state government. It says government. Well it is spelled incorrectly but I knew what he meant.

I agree, I see maybe 2 or 3 troopers a year. I go to Wisconsin and I see them all over the place. I wonder why?

13. annoyed with whiners says:

1. The posted speed limit is the speed limit for all lanes. There is no such thing as a fast lane.
    2. if you are going over the posted speed limit you are at risk of a ticket. And yes there is alot of people who do drive the speed limit.
    (if they gave more tickets like this, then more people would slow down
    3. tail gating make me drive faster will not work, It means if you hit me, you are at fault for not maintaing a proper distance.
    4. If you are driving over the speed limit, you are breaking the law, and deserve the ticket, so stop whining, man up and pay the fine. or did you whine and beg your parents how unfair they were when you were grounded to the point you annoyed them and they let you off.

1. Dan says:

There is such thing called fast lane, hence they have a sign shows “slower traffic keeps right”! if you are driving slower than the posted speed limit, move your damn car to the right!
      You must be one of those idiots that drive 40mph in the left lane where the speed limit is 70mph

1. Brian says:

You are right, Dan. However, there is nothing called a “fast lane.” There is, however a law (Statute 169.18) that states that unless you’re passing another vehicle, you need to keep your vehicle in the right-most lane. And if that isn’t enough, Staute 169.15 states that no person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic. In short, MOVE THE F* OVER!

1. Les Johnson says:

Correct. It is not the “fast lane” it is the “passing lane.”

2. Commonsense says:

Actrually you can be pulled over for driving the speed limit in the left lane if you are holding up traffic – it’s called impeding traffic – you are not the warden of the speed limit – I know this because my brother in law is a cop – they don’t issue those tickets often but they do issue them – in most states you are prohibited from driving in the left lane unless you are passing another vehicle – It is common knowledge from drivers ed that slower traffic moves to the right. Its a simple matter to move over and let the person behind you pass than you can move back over once the faster traffic has gone by. Maybe if we were all a little more courtesy out there we would have less road rage.

14. YOU HAVE NO CLUE says:

Always love the know-it-alls that come out of the woods when it comes to commenting on police. People without a first hand perspective, with no experience in the field, and yet have nothing but loads of criticism.

POLICE~~YOU HATE US, UNTIL YOU NEED US.

1. fred says:

when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

15. zee the reporter says:

Drive in the fast lane my friend life is short! zee reporting!

16. Alfred says:

Is there a correlation between the number of tickets written and a reduction of highway accidents?

17. Wake Up says:

I see way too much stupid stuff on the road and I drive for a living. One hang up the phones – seems yakers are incapable of using turnsignals – they aren’t optional in this state or anywhere else as far as I know, also before you change lanes, please check your mirrors, because running into me is seriously going to ruin your day and mine. As far as more troopers on the road – I’m all for it – maybe the idiots will think twice before doing something stupid – doubt it, but we can only hope. I agree there are idiots in every walk of life and my job is no different – might help if most could speak and/or read english, but it is what it is. Lets be safe out there as everyone has a family member that would miss them if they were gone.