ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — The Minnesota Supreme Court says the teenager accused of killing three people at a Minneapolis convenience store should stand trial as an adult.
The court has upheld a district court ruling that Mahdi Hassan Ali was 17 when the shooting at Seward Market took place on Jan. 6, 2010. Ali’s attorney, Frederick Goetz, has argued that the defendant was 15 at the time of the shooting.
The Supreme Court upheld a district court ruling that followed an age verification hearing last year. Ali was born in Somalia and doesn’t have a birth certificate.
A criminal complaint says Ali entered the store with another teen, ordered two employees to the ground and demanded money. The complaint says Ali fatally shot a customer who walked in the door and one of the employees. Minnesota Public Radio News reports prosecutors say both teens then left the store, but Ali returned and shot the other employee.
(© Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)