Fireworks Injuries Decline In Minnesota

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — The number of injuries and property damage caused by fireworks has declined in Minnesota.

But, the Minnesota Department of Public Safety says even one fireworks mishap is too many. Annual statistics collected from Minnesota hospitals and fire departments from June 25 through July 15 show the number of injuries has dropped from 111 in 2004 to 57 injuries in 2009. And property damage numbers have declined during that time from about $4,000 to $1,500.

State fire marshal Jerry Rosendahl says there are a couple things to keep in mind in order to continue to bring down those statistics. If it flies or explodes, the fireworks are illegal in Minnesota. Those that are legal include sparklers, snakes, glow worms, string poppers and other non-explosives. And, even sparklers with a tip that burns at 1,800 degrees can cause injury.

Comments

1. M says:

Nanny state. Your not allowed to have any fun.

1. TW says:

You have to go to bed early for complaining. And you can’t watch fireworks on Monday night.

2. Jason says:

Minnesota tax is so high I cannot even afford snakes.

3. Les Johnson says:

Sparklers can be turned into massive concussion bombs.

Bigger than anything at a professional fireworks show.

I’m talking mushroom cloud, car alarms blocks away going off, people being blown off bicycles 25 yards away, 4 foot crater in a lawn, garbage can a hundred and fifty feet in the air…

4. Grover says:

One of the most ridiculous laws in the state — and it isn’t even enforced anyway. I drove to Wisconsin last night. Spent $900 on the “good stuff”, but burned through a tank of gas and 5 hours driving time round trip. I didn’t look at the tax I paid, but I’m sure it wasn’t a small amount. Get a clue, Minnesota.

1. Les Johnson says:

5 hours drive time?? Why did you drive 2 1/2 hours one way to Wisconsin for fireworks? Which fireworks place did you go?

1. Grover says:

I went to Fireworks City in Baldwin. I’m in Western Minnesota. I could go to SD (save an hour round-trip), but the deals are way better in Wisc.

1. Les Johnson says:

Nice. No wonder you made it worth your while by throwing down almost a grand, eh?

I live right down the street (literally) from Victory Fireworks in Prescott. I think I’ll be heading over there tomorrow on payday for some colored assortment sparklers.

2. TW says:

True, to me it is another sign that the more laws we have the less common sense there is. As kids we learned that firecrackers and BB guns could be a lot of fun but you had to be smart and know the limits. Kids today don’t know the real limits because the gov’t has them in car seats until they are old or big enough and forget riding a bike without a helmet. Good lord, a kid falls down and scrapes a knee and it’s a major deal. In my day unless you broke a bone you kept playing, blood loss was not an excuse to head home. Fainted a few times but man we had fun.

5. Happy day says:

It seems that the price for fireworks has nearly doubled from last year. Most likely cause in this decrease…importing from China seems to be getting more costly for consumers.

6. Dave says:

Just think of all the tax revenue Minnesota could collect if people were spending their money here and not in WI or SD!

7. NANNY STATE says:

BRING BACK THE “REAL” FIREWORKS MN!!!!!