Hospitals Offer Cheaper Lung Scans For Smokers

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A local hospital is offering discounts on CT scans for smokers.

Abbott Northwestern Hospital has begun offering discounts on low-dose lung scans after a national study found that early diagnoses can reduce mortality by 20 percent.

“This is the first randomized study ever performed showing a benefit of detecting a (lung) cancer early, that would actually lead to better a outcome”, said Dr. Subarao Inampudi, a radiologist at Abbott Northwestern.

NewsRadio 830 WCCO’s Steve Murphy Reports

That’s the reason Abbott Northwestern is offering an incentive for current and former smokers between the ages of 50 and 74 to get a CT scan.

The national study involved 56,000 subjects. The findings were published in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Comments

1. smoker says:

I guess people under 50 don’t have to worry about lung cancer then? Not a slam on your report, more so to whomever decided the limited age bracket.

2. They can stop smoking... says:

Smokers made a choice to smoke. Maybe they need an incentive to stop? If they get a lung cancer scan and it shows they are healty that is good, but it could also let them to continue smoking. Smoking hurts more than just lungs.

1. gaveupsmoking says:

I am a ex-smoker but I agree we choose to smoke and we don’t have too. I feel I should be responsible for this not someone else, it is a addiction but there are so many ways and help out there to quit.

3. jan says:

Radiation from CT scans cause cancer too. No thanks, I smoked for 30 years and quit 30 years ago. Smoking the the most stupid thing I ever did. I’d rather not know if I have lung damage as if I did, there’d be nothing they could do to save me anyway, their treatments only prolong life for a few months and what kind of life is that?

4. Lung cancer x ray says:

Cancer malignancy takes a huge number of lifestyles each year on a around the world range. Lung carcinomas as well as those that propagate for the lung area would be the most critical and also dangerous on this illness.lung cancer

5. Mesothelioma what is it says:

What’s carcinoma of the lung so what can you know about the idea what are the brings about and also signs or symptomsMesothelioma