Reporting John Lauritsen
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — At Summit Brewing Company in St. Paul, true love can be found in a bottle of beer — literally.
Summit released a beer called the “Honeymoon Saison,” which debuted on tap at Grumpy’s in Minneapolis Tuesday night and will come in bottles on July 25. It’s part of Summit’s unchained series, where a brewer gets a chance to craft and release their own beer for a limited time.
In this case, the honeymoon came before the wedding. Brewer Sam Doniach knows it’s tradition that a guy in love with a girl buys her an engagement ring, but he just decided to create a whole new line of beer to show his undying commitment.
“I did get her a ring. You still have to keep with the traditions,” said Doniach.
“We always joked about maybe making our own beer for the wedding and this is just the best thing that could ever happen. He gets to make it for work, it’s a big deal and it’s a delicious beer. I’m really excited,” said Doniach’s fiancé, Camber Lubarski.
Doniach was the latest brewer from Summit who got the go-ahead to tie the knot with his own beer creation. So, he designed a summer, farmhouse ale with a French and Belgian twist. He added honey from Minnesota in honor of his upcoming honeymoon.
Now, he and his fiancé Camber have a story to tell the kids, grandchildren, and anyone who shows up at the bar.
“Not a lot of people get to brew their own beer that they get to serve at their own wedding. It’s a really unique opportunity that was a fun thing for me to do,” said Doniach.
However, as far as limited time only beers go, Summit is far from done.
This year is also Summit’s 25th Anniversary. To celebrate, they will be releasing a new, but limited, version of the first beer they ever made, the Extra Pale Ale. It comes out July 25th and it will be dedicated to those who drink it.
“The Extra Pale Ale is the foundation for the beer. You are going to be the expert when you put that beer in your glass, not me,” said Summit founder and owner, Mark Stutrud.
The Honeymoon Saison will be released in bottles the same day the Silver Anniversary Ale is introduced.
Both beers will be sold until supplies run out, and they predict that could be anywhere from 2 to 3 months.
Here are key dates for both the Honeymoon Saison and the Silver Anniversary Ale:
• Tuesday, July 12: Grumpy’s (Downtown Minneapolis), 5-7 p.m.
• Wednesday, July 13: Stub and Herb’s, 4 p.m.
• Thursday, July 14: Haute Dish beer dinner, 4-7 p.m.
• Friday, July 15: Tiffany’s Sports Lounge, 3-5 p.m.
• Friday, July 15: Fabulous Fern’s, 5:30-7:30 p.m.
• Monday, July 25: Available in bottles at liquor stores
Silver Anniversary Ale:
• Monday, July 25: Mackenzie’s, 5-7 p.m. (First 25 beers served are free and then $.25 taps till 7 p.m.)
• Monday, July 25: Liquor Lyle’s, 7:30-9 p.m. ($.25 taps of the Silver Anniversary Ale and 2 for 1 deals on all other Summit beers)
• Tuesday, July 26: Groveland Tap, 6-8 p.m. ($.25 taps of the Silver Anniversary Ale)
• Thursday, July 28: Specials served at Sweeney’s, 4-6 p.m.
• Friday, July 29: Beer Dinner celebrating Summit’s 25th anniversary at Tracy’s Saloon & Eatery, 7 p.m. (Pints will be on special in the bar as well).