Head-On Crash Kills 2 Near Mankato

MANKATO, Minn. (WCCO) – Two people were killed and at least three others were injured in a head-on crash that involved four vehicles, according to the Minnesota State Patrol.

Authorities said the crash happened at about 10:41 a.m. Wednesday on Highway 14 and County Road 17 near Mankato in Nicollet County. A 17-year-old male driving a dodge pick-up was headed westbound on Highway 14 when he crossed the center line and hit two motorcyclists head-on, killing both of them.

Authorities identified the two victims as 49-yar-old Lars Albrecht of Rio Rancho, New Mexico, and 61-year-old Robert Austin of Canby, Ore.

The State Patrol said after the pick-up truck hit the two motorcycles, it struck a Chevrolet Lumina head-on, injuring two others. The 17-year-old male was also injured in the crash.

Authorities are not releasing the juvenile male’s name until it’s determined if charges will be filed. The accident remains under investigation.

Comments

1. dont get high says:

teenager high on drug. come on now

1. markH says:

And dollars to doughnuts the “drug” is alcohol, not marijuana. Second point-teenages are simply not mature enough to drive a motor vehicle. There are exceptions, but they are just that. Peace.

1. Will says:

A quote from the Star Tribune online today.

The patrol said it was still investigating why the pickup crossed the center line. Langer said that “at this early point in the investigation, alcohol does not appear to be a factor” in the crash.

Ignorant comment without knowing any facts.

2. Sue says:

This is sad and tragic, I sure hope there is no texting while driving or any form of phone usage while driving involved.

3. Jake says:

I’d be checking the cell phone and the vehicle’s computer for sure.

4. mn mom says:

Personally, I think 16-17 is too young to be driving. Kids don’t have the maturity to be able to handle such a huge responsibility and often do not take it serious enough. Yes, there are exceptions, but generally, they are too young, too immature, lack common sense and feel “it won’t happen to me”.

My sympathies to the families involved.

5. amanda says:

anyone in mn please keep me updated on this story. this is my brothers uncle that was killed. He was taken to soon from his family. thanks

1. Sporty007 says:

My thoughts and prayers go out to your family Amanda and I hope that you find some form of comfort in the memories you have of him.

6. M.A.B. says:

Lars Albrecht was my high school & life long friend. The 17 year old kid driving the PU killed him for my 50 birthday. I don’t blame him however, as much as I blame the Artic Ice Co. for cutting costs by hiring an inexperianced driver. “HOPE YOU GO OUT OF BUISNESS SONE!”