2 Officers Shot At In Minneapolis; Squad Hit

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Police say whoever was shooting at two Minneapolis policemen during a traffic stop Monday night was trying to kill the officers.

The incident happened around 11:20 p.m., after the officers stopped a suspicious vehicle outside Union Liquor Store near Lowry and Penn avenues North.

The driver of that vehicle was given a ticket and had to leave the vehicle, according to Cmdr. Mike Martin with the Fourth Precinct.

While the officers waited for a tow truck to arrive, the driver returned to get something from the car. Soon after, shots were fired at the squad car from across the street.

Martin said the squad car was hit three times, twice in the body of the car and once in the tire. Neither officer was hit.

The officers called for backup and perimeter was set up to investigate. A search was conducted by air and on the ground for possible suspects who ran away.

Martin said he believes whoever was shooting intended to kill the officers.

Minneapolis Police are working on leads but ask for the public’s help in locating the shooter or shooters.

It was first reported that a vehicle that matched the description of the suspect vehicle was stopped and two people were arrested. But Sgt. Steve McCarty said police did not arrest anyone in connection with this case and they are still looking for help finding the shooters.

Comments

1. DARREN says:

And they keep telling u the rate of crme is down in North Minneapolis. Would you go there?

1. Alison says:

I live in North Minneapolis, it is a huge area so maybe don’t generalize the whole “North”side. I am very safe in my neighborhood & love every single one of my amazing neighbors. With that said, I would not go to Lowry & Penn after dark… the area around that part of North is filled with a lot of bitter and thoughtless people. It is sad that so many people living there feel the need to live up to the stereotypes.

1. dan says:

Usually it’s just hoodrats killing hoodrats, and that’s alright by me.

1. kim says:

Until they kill someone else by accident or while robbing them. It is a problem for all of us.

2. Silly says:

@ The Architect, what was your point? You didn’t make one with your questions. I happen to live in North too and I am certainly not hiding in my home hoping I don’t get shot at. You just seem a tad aggressive, the people shooting are bitter and thoughtless, seems pretty obvious that is what the person above was referring to, don’t start silly arguments.

1. Jim says:

Right behind you.

2. Chloe says:

“Why doesn’t the large percentage go out and eradicate the small percentage that are the lawless, sagging pants gangsters?”

How do you suggest doing so?

1. Jim says:

LOL. Minneapolis is a beautiful and safe city. It must be difficult to live life in such fear. I feel sorry for you.

2. The Architect says:

The city I live in is beautiful. Minneapolis is overcrowded and dirty.

I don’t live in fear. I live in Prescott. My neighbors don’t steal from me, and their kids don’t drive by hanging out the window with gangsta rap thumping, trying to intimidate people. Nobody gets shot and nobody walking down the street gets robbed and beaten to death.

If you live in Minneapolis, your neighbors do that. Period.

1. Jim says:

LOL. Beautiful Prescott, Wisconsin. I know it well.

I live in Minneapolis, a very quiet residential neighborhood in Northeast. The next block over is a nice park where kids play almost all year. My neighbors are mostly friendly people with families and they don’t steal from me, they don’t shoot people, they don’t play loud music of any kind. No one has been beaten or robbed walking down the street in my neighborhood in the 8 years I’ve lived there. No one.

If you don’t live in Minneapolis and make ignorant comments about the city based on what you see on the local news, then you’re a fool. Period. But please, continue to hurl your ridiculous accusations from another state. The fewer people like you we have here the better.

1. Xavier says:

Jim,
                Northeast Minneapolis is st. paul. We’d take it back but you know we don’t got no guns.

2. The Architect says:

I bet if you leave a bicycle out in your front yard overnight it won’t be there in the morning.

2. Duh says:

Yea, because nobody ever commits crimes in Prescott.

1. The Architect says:

People don’t get shot at or home-invaded. No gangs of thugs on street corners or front steps staring down passers-by to intimidate them. No $1500 cars with $4000 rims blasting gangsta rap music. No looting or rioting or shotspotter devices on the corners.

I think I saw someone get pulled over for speeding. 31 in a 25mph zone. They got a warning.

3. Todd W. Olson says:

I live in Minneapolis, and you’re not just wrong, you’re a liar. Shame on you.

1. The Architect says:

I worked there. Shell casings in the streets and mattresses behind the houses. I’m not asking you. I’m telling you. I could give you addresses…

3. Alex says:

We don’t need ppl like you in north mpls. “Build a wall”? I’m laughing out loud at you! Most these thugs probaly live in your neighborhood but conduct their buisness in mine MORON!

1. The Outdoorsman says:

Uhh no, that has never been shown to be the case. The perpetrators in the crimes in your neighborhood live in your neighborhood.

2. @Twister says:

Wow, that is pretty evil. You are proof that bad doesn’t only exist in North Minneapolis as you’d have us all believe.

3. Randy says:

I have a solution! Maybe they need to pick up everyone who doesn’t have a job at 6 am and keep them awake till 10pm. I bet crime would drop off significantly. All the criminals wouldn’t sleep till noon and break into houses and commit crimes till 4 am. This may sound “old timey” but I think it would work.

2. Brerwster says:

To many Norweigen Immigrants!

3. Lars says:

There was a slight smell of lutafiish in the area. Yea sure, You beatcha!

1. red says:

that’s lutefisk Lars

1. Gardoglee says:

He must be a North Dakota Nowegian.

4. Jake says:

Jus keepin it REAL, gotta represent ya know.

5. KegHead says:

This sounds like St. Louis. (The most dangerous city in the USA).

1. Kevin says:

Why is St Louis the most dangerous?

6. Pete says:

Geniuses!!! After they took their shots… They continued to drive around in the (likely stolen) vehicle they fired their (likely stolen) weapon from. A cry for help maybe? Idiots… As for the boys in blue, I’m glad you’re okay.

7. em0886 says:

Wow…real mature everyone!! I agree Alison, you are going to obviously hear about the crime because that’s what makes the news…they are not going to report on how most of the people get along and are law abiding…that wouldn’t be news would it?? A lot of people who comment on here are bitter and negative and it’s getting really old. You complaing when they don’t fight the crime and then complain when they do…complain and whine is all I ever hear…and the racial comments, political comments…its ridiculous

1. laugh for the day says:

0886-comments like yours makes this board fun to read.

2. The Architect says:

I like em’s comments too, even when I am not in total agreement with the opinions therein.🙂

1. laugh for the day says:

2 cops are ambushed and we are bitter and negative. I wonder who em0886 blamed for the exection of Officer Jerry Haaf.

1. em0886 says:

You clearly don’t read all the boards…they generally are filled with racist hate remarks…people whining about everything…that’s what I am referring to! I definitely don’t agree with what happened and I agree with people being upset that this happened but it always leads to racial comments…yes the stats show that african-american males make up 70% of the criminals but it doesn’t mean we have to attack each other.

1. kate says:

Newsflash. Crimes committed here are by white people also.

2. The Architect says:

Big deal? White people commit crimes too, so maybe inner city blacks really AREN’T shooting up the city every other night? Is that really your argument here?

8. The Architect says:

I am!!! Well, technically, I’m Norwegian.🙂

1. red says:

What do me technically? Whether you are or your not-

9. red says:

That’s Norwegian, See BS

1. See BS says:

It’s really NORSK, and I responded to the first post in this thread — now my response post is way down here and it’s in moderation for some reason.

Seems like we have our own radicals shooting at cops.

10. MARK says:

Yeah, European countries like Norway sure are having problems with diversity, what with all those immigrants shooting people and igniting bombs and stuff. Oh, wait…

1. MARK says:

Luckily for us we have the NRA to protect gun rights in this country and no one ever gets shot. What a relief!

2. Kevin says:

The basic cause was that he felt his country was being taken away by Muslms and other immigrants…..In Eurabia they have VERY strict hate laws! Even making a factual statment can land you in prison. MPR had a great show yesterday. They interviewed people in Norway about the immigration issues. All answered the same…they felt their country was being taken over by immigrants, and they felf helpless to do anything about it. I am afraid…if you study Eurabia….that Oslo may have just been the sparks of a much larger flame….

1. MARK says:

Glad to see that Kevin and some of his fellow Republican knuckleheads have come out in full support of the psycho shooter in Norway. The shooter “felt his country was being taken away,” so he decided to murder dozens of innocent children. What’s your point, Kevin? You agree with those actions?

11. Kent says:

Shooting at cops is as serious as it gets.
    They must be caught.

12. Chloe says:

I also live in North Minneapolis and I really, really love it here. I came from a little town ‘up North’ and the sense of community here is stronger than where I came from. I have the best neighbors I’ve ever had. And yes, ‘North Minneapolis’ is a rather large area (33 thousand people, I believe?) so the generalizations are a little ridic. This story is very unfortunate and I am very happy that the officers we not hurt, but quite frankly- this could (and does) happen all over… as sad as that is. So let’s get over the whole “North Minneapolis is horrible” way of thinking. Peace.

1. :) says:

Love your comment. Thanks for being one of the sole voices of reality on this page.

2. Commander Riker says:

“quite frankly- this could (and does) happen all over”

I have to disagree. That doesn’t happen where I live, Chloe.

Not this year, not last year, not the year before… But it DOES seem to happen every other day in YOUR community.

3. Randy says:

There is going to continue to be more crime in North Minneapolis than anywhere else in the state till people quit lying to themselves. Why do they have such a high Officer to Citizen Ratio? Does it have something to do with parades? or is it the crime?

13. The Architect says:

Once they get herded inside the Metrodome, the demolition crews can get started.

1. Pete says:

Hee hee @ Architect!!!

14. The Architect says:

LOL

Ding!

Fries are done, Kevin.

15. Gardoglee says:

Am I the only one who wonders whether the guy who was originally stopped went to his car to get something because he knew someone was going to come and take shots at the police car? Like maybe he saw his friends across the street, and knew they were waiting for him to be out of the way? Bad stuff. They need to find these guys and lock them up for a long while. If they would shoot at cops and then run on foot (as the article seems to say), they probably aren’t afraid to shoot anyone else in their way.

16. zee the reporter says:

cops need to stay of of the area!

17. TL the alligator says:

when i see a young person smoking i think IDIOT….wearing pants that dont fit and sag i think PATHETIC FOLLOWER IDIOT……when i see “rims” ruin/taint an otherwise respectable ride i think IDIOT….when i hear thumping bass from a vehicle i think its a STARVED FOR ATTENTION MORON(s)…….all these and more can be found in Mpls everywhere but especially in the area of Penn/Lowry at any given time……..when people SHOW you who they are BELIEVE THEM.