Trial Begins For Man Accused Of Killing Deputy

CROOKSTON, Minn. (AP) — A man accused of killing a Mahnomen County sheriff’s deputy goes on trial Monday.

Thirty-four-year-old Thomas Fairbanks is accused of shooting Deputy Christopher Dewey in the head and midsection Feb. 18, 2009 as Dewey responded to a call. The deputy died late last year as a result of his injuries. Fairbanks was indicted on first-degree murder charges.

The trial was moved to Polk County on a defense request for a change of venue. The Forum says the trial is expected to last up to four weeks.

Comments

1. Sad Loss says:

RIP Brother

2. Jim S. says:

I wonder what the story is. Brain damage? Mind of a child? All of the above? Ah well, the cop is in heaven and this guy is looking forward to prison showers followed by slowly aging to death and then ending up in some kind of bizarre nightmarish afterlife he can’t escape or get a handle on.

3. Outdoorsman says:

Death Penalty for the convicted, when he’s convicted. I can’t figure out why life in prison is the highest level of punishment. It’s like we’re saying it’s ok, maybe it was just a mistake, we forgive you. Well I don’t. There is no forgiveness for this.

1. john0990 says:

If there’s no forgiveness for this crime, what good does executing him do?

1. Outdoorsman says:

Was that a serious question? What “good” does it do?

He’s a murderer. Executing him reduces the amount of murderers in our midst by one.

Why forgive? You want this man to “change his life around” and go on a speaking tour about how it’s bad to murder cops, so don’t do it, kids?

2. RetroDude says:

A) it ensures that he will never harm another person, and B) it won’t cost the taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars for room, board, and health care for the remaining 50 or so years of his miserable life.

4. Respect says:

My heat goes out to the Christopher Dewey family. Deputy Dewey was just dong his job, and to have some nutcase gun him down is so Sad and Senseless! My daughter and son in-law are both Sheriff Deputies and I worry constantly about their safety!
    Not only do our young men and women in the military deserve our respect and admiration but also the men and women who work for law enforcement! I feel for some reason, society feels different about (cops). Yes there have been some who abuse their power but this also happens in the military and all other types of service. I would say 99% of law enforcement is here to do one thing; help us when were in need and protect us from harm here at home. My total respect for Deputy Dewey’s sacrificed and service

5. The Architect says:

I think guys in Cop Uniforms are HOT..Especially the ones with those Leather hats..I’d love to be handcuffed & roughed up by a few hot cops with mustaches..Then forced to submit to their perverted desires & commands..That’s when my “training” would kick in.

6. The Architect says:

Officer Dewey had chest hair..That drives me wild!