17-Year-Old Shot While Riding Bike In North Mpls.

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Minneapolis Police are looking for a gunman who shot a 17-year-old twice while he rode his bicycle on a north Minneapolis street.

The teen was shot in the 2200 block of Dupont Avenue North shortly before 3:30 Sunday afternoon.

Family members identified the teen as Josiah Taylor. They said he was riding his bicycle when someone opened fire, shooting him twice in his chest.

On Sunday night, he was in surgery at North Memorial Medical Center.

According to family members, Taylor left his father’s church, New Mercy Empowerment Center Church of God in Christ, located on North Logan Avenue just after 3 p.m. He was riding through the neighborhood when he was shot.

“We know very little about what actually happened when he was shot. For right now, the investigators are doing their best to figure out what happened at the time of the incident,” said Minneapolis Police Sgt. Emily Dunphy.

Witnesses said they heard three to four shots from a large caliber weapon and saw the teen get off his bike and run about a block before collapsing. He is currently at North Memorial Medical Center in serious condition but he is expected to survive.

Family members say Taylor is a kid who is more concerned with playing basketball than hanging in the streets. Police say they believe the shooting is not random. His family said Taylor was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Taylor’s father is a pastor and also works with youth in the community. Police believe someone may have seen something that may lead them to the gunman. If you know anything about this shooting, you are asked to contact police.

More from Reg Chapman
Comments

1. DARREN says:

So no witnesses? Race, Color or creed of those who show a boy on a bike? Ages? Short? Tall?

YEAH BS

2. Eleuthera says:

heartbreaking. we’ll be praying.

3. AP says:

you guys this could’ve happened ANYWHERE

4. KegHead says:

Sounds like St. Louis. (The most dangerous city in the USA).

5. rachel says:

😮 that sgt is my cousin!

6. quentin says:

No, you sure don’t. Other than the guy in Ohio over the weekend who killed seven. And, I guess you have to add the three Florida siblings currently on a shooting spree after firing at police. But, other than that, it just never happens.

1. Just saying says:

or the group of White teenagers who ran over and killed a black man right? Yeah, White people never do anything like that.

7. Mark says:

@facts are facts

your racial hatred is not appreciated here.

The simple fact is that when there is virtually no chance to better your life economically, anger and violence follow.

Ever try to get up for work at 3 am to make it to work by 8:30am? Because of bus service, this is normal. Or how about child care in that situation? How many daycares do you know of that are open at that time?

So you work til 5:30pm, and then on the bus until maybe 10:00 pm. not alot of quality time with the kids, huh?

Remember everybody, “we are all in this together!” And maybe if we would work towards bettering each persons life a little, maybe some of this violence would subside.

1. Mark says:

@blame whitey
      Excuse me, I am a life long northside resident. I have 3 jobs, and do what I can to help others on the northside! I grow tired of you folks in the burbs who can’t understand why any of us would live here. It’s because we can’t afford to live else where or like me, I don’t want my kids to grow up bigoted like so many on this page!

1. Jack Mehoff says:

Yeah, okay. But what have YOU done to curb the black violence in your own town??!! Not a single thing from what you just wrote. In other words, you’re simply just another part of the problem, period.

8. curly_racks says:

Yeah white kids dont do stuff like this.. tell that to the black man who was beaten by 2 carloads of white kids and then ran over with their truck in Mississipi recently…or tell that to the people in Ohio…….Or tell that to the Norwegians…..Right us whites are the best and so non violent

9. markH says:

It rains in southwest Minneapolis too, it’s just usually not bullets.

10. Ghettos suck! says:

As the police stated they dont believe it to be a random act! Parents think the kid would rather play basketball….little do they know their precious little boy is a THUG in the making. White/Black/Whatever race it doesnt matter as inner city kids will do whatever it takes to get street cred so they dont look weak. My bet is this kid was looking for drugs or got in an argument over drugs or some petty material item and bang bang bullets fly. It all starts with the parents however even the best parents can end up with a child who’s destined to be evil and all the love in the world cant help those types! Another sad day in the school of hard knocks!

1. KJ says:

It’s pretty easy to judge people or make assumptions based on location. “This kid” is a good kid not some “child who’s destined to be evil”. Nor is he a “THUG”. Ignorance is not a good place to live.

11. tina says:

Only black people ride the bus. The rest of us have cars.

12. REALLY TINA??? says:

@tina you have to be the stupidest person to even think that ONLY BLACK PEOPLE ride the bus! EVERY RACE rides that bus Dumb A$$!!! I live DT Mpls and work so i know for a FACT WHITE BLACK ASIAN MEXICAN ALL RACES RIDE METRO TRANSIT!!! THEY EVEN HAVE BUSES THAT GO OUT TO THE DEEP SUBURBS WHERE IM PRETTY SURE BLACKS ARE NOWHERE TO BE FOUND TO PICK UP BUS RIDING WHITE PEOPLE!!! SO YOU CAN KINDLY STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Hien says:

Pamela August 25, 2011 I’ve missed rindeag your blog! I was on vacation! I definitely want to try the oats in a jar.. what a way to anticipate the end of a peanut butter jar! LOLIn response to your question, I always make my own concoctions.. that’s the most fun thing to do in the kitchen! And I was thinking, when you were listing out your ingredients (which, your breakfast burrito sounds like something totally yummy and very familiar to something I would make) I was thinking of Migas . You should try it sometime, I think it’s Mexican, and you use up leftover tortillas or even tortilla chips with eggs and other ingredients for breakfast.. it’s really good!