Minneapolis Man Pleads Guilty To Assaulting Somali

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — A Minneapolis man has pleaded guilty to violating the civil rights of an 83-year-old Somali man after assaulting him while yelling that he was Muslim and should go back to Africa.

George Thompson entered the plea Wednesday in federal court in St. Paul. Court papers say the 64-year-old former employee of the Transportation Security Administration told the older man he was going to kill him and chased him into a Minneapolis street on May 4, 2010.

The court documents say Thompson’s actions were based on the victim’s “actual and perceived religion and national origin.” He was charged under a federal hate crimes act that became law in 2009 and was named for Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, two well-known hate crime victims.

Thompson is scheduled to be sentenced later this year.

Comments

1. See BS says:

Hate crime laws are just “Neo-Jim Crow”, and violate the “Equal Protection Clause” of the 14th Amendment.

2. Angus says:

Please tell me again about Minnesota nice. I guess it is true if you are white and Christian. All else, get out of the country.

1. abdullahi abdi says:

do you know america is the land of the free and as americans we have the right to stay and you and your racicist freinds are the ones who should leave. iI am a somali-american and I am very proud and someone should’t do that to anyone no matter the race

3. See BS says:

He looks like a hippie to me, maybe drug problems had something to do with the strange behavior.

4. Michele Twinkletoes DeFazio says:

oh, please! Mr. Thompson is THE nicest man, Father, friend, citizen I know! He was mugged at least a dozen times in that “THUG” nieghborhood!! We have to stick up for ourselves when even the police don’t show their presence in THAT neighborhood!!! He stood up for his own protection, and at his age it is not easy to do. They tormented, stalked, and threatened him REGULARLY!!! The so-called ‘justice system’ is USING Mr. Thompson to make an ‘example’ of him! the only hate crime here is the thugs HATING a peaceful, well known, well respected American CITIZEN!!!!!!

1. jeff says:

yeah man, this city is just overrun with 80 year old somali gang members that are freedom haters and enjoy roundly beating up other seniors. it’s a phuckin’ epidemic! do you hear yourselves?

1. Abdullahi Cold Abdi says:

do you know what your saying listen to yourself man! I am an educated somali man and I strongly diagree with you we as Somali’s have the right to stay and if someone disciminates anybody we have rights as Americans to protect our civil righ; your saying exactly what maybe your parent or grandparents said in 1960’s you should be ashamed!

5. somali news says:

The very next time I read a blog, I hope that it does not fail me just as much as this particular one. After all, I know it was my choice to read, nonetheless I genuinely thought you would have something useful to talk about. All I hear is a bunch of crying about something you could possibly fix if you weren’t too busy seeking attention.