Trees Of Hope: Donate to Minnesota Ovarian Cancer Alliance at 1-800-542-9226 or click here. | More

Police: 2 Drown In Plymouth Pool

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – A man and a girl died Monday afternoon at a Twin Cities hospital after nearly drowning in a Plymouth apartment swimming pool, police said.

Emergency crews were called to the Lancaster Village apartments, located on the 3000 block of Lancaster Lane North, just before 4:30 p.m.

Witnesses said a 9-year-old girl was struggling in the pool when a 26-year-old family friend jumped in to help her. Instead of helping, however, the man also began to struggle.

A maintenance worker for the apartment complex pulled the two out of the water before emergency crews arrived. The girl’s 14-year-old sister was also in the pool, but was not hurt.

Both victims died at North Memorial Medical Center, police said.

Comments

1. Ines Beag says:

If they didn’t die from ‘nearly drowning’, what did they die from?

1. who writes these stories? says:

I think they will HAVE to classify this as a drowning……what a dumb headline!

2. @hugo says:

You are an ass.

3. Sharon says:

What’s wrong with the area? I live nearby & I love it. Very little crime, friendly neighbors, awesome schools, & I feel totally safe walking at night. Enlighten me please!

2. Rob says:

I think the article is trying to convey that they were alive after being pulled out of the pool but died at the hospital. The drowned, nevertheless.

3. gotta ask says:

How does someone struggle after jumping in to save someone else…
    If you don’t know how to swim, then why jump in?

1. Les Johnson says:

I’m guessing that when he reached the 9 year old, she was desperate and panicking and pulled him under or struggled enough to tire him out sooner than he expected, and he was probably unable to stay above water while continuing the rescue attempt.
      So if I had to place a bet, I’d bet the 9 year old girl inadvertently killed him during the rescue.

4. Mark says:

How big is this pool and why doesn’t it have a rescue pole and flotation device?

1. @mark says:

How do you know it doesn’t? Did you read that elsewhere? Otherwise you’re just making an assumption.

2. victim mentality says:

According to photos on another site, there was safety equipment at the pool. A better question might be why the 26-year-old and then the 14-year-old didn’t use it. My gut says they panicked and weren’t thinking clearly – a normal reaction to situations like this.

5. VICTORIA says:

CONCERN:

I KNOW AN APARTMENT COMPLEX POLL SHOULD HAVE A LIFE GUARD DURING IT’S TIME OF OPERATION. WAS THE A LIFE GUARD AT THE POLL DOING THE TIME OF THE ACCIDENT, WAS THE A CAUTION SIGN POSTED AT THE POLL FOR CHILDREN TO BE ACCOMPANY BY ADULTS. WHY WILL AN APARTMENT POLL BE EXPOSED TO CHILDREN WHO ARE NOT 18 YEARS.THE APARTMENT COMPLEX MANAGEMENT SHOULD HAVE PREVENTED THE ACCIDENT BY PROTECTING KIDS AND ADULTS WHO ARE UNABLE TO SWIM. THE MANAGEMENT SHOULD BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR THE DEATHS. IF I WERE THE FAMILY OF THE VICTIMS, I WILL DEFINITELY FILE A CARELESS LAW SUE AGAINST THE APARTMENT FOR THE WRONGFUL DEATHS THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED. I NEED ANSWERS. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT.

6. CONCERN CITIZEN says:

WELL, ALL CONCERNS SHOULD BE ABOUT THE PAINS THAT THE VICTIMS SUFFERED BEFORE THEIR UN- TIMELY DEATHS AND THE PAINS THAT THEIR FAMILIES AND LOVE ONES ARE GOING THROUGH RIGHT NOW. THE NEXT THING IS, HOW TO PREVENT SUCH ACCIDENT FROM HAPPENING TO OTHERS. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE NEIGHBORHOOD OR AREA BEEN GOOD OR BAD. IT’S THE CARELESS ACT OF AN APPARTMENT COMPLEX MANAGEMENT AND IT NEEDS TO BE ADDRESS IN A TIMELY MANNER. THE POLL NEEDS TO BE SUPERVISED. I’M HOPING THAT OTHERS WILL LEARN FROM THIS CARELESS ACT AND PREVENT SUCH FOR HAPPENING. AFTER ALL, NO BODY WANTS TO SUFFER LIKE THE VICTIMS AND DIE A PAINFUL DEATH.