Winona Man Cited For Kicking, Killing A Cat

WINONA, Minn. (AP) — A Winona man accused of kicking and killing a cat has been cited for misdemeanor animal cruelty.

Police Sgt. Chris Nelson says 46-year-old Arlyn Alvin Groth kicked the cat while “trashing” a home three weeks ago.

According to Nelson, Groth told police that burglars were responsible for the damage, but officers didn’t believe his explanation that the intruders gained entrance through the bathroom ceiling.

A Winona Daily News report quotes Groth as acknowledging using a synthetic drug known as “plant food.”

A telephone listing for Groth was disconnected.

Comments

1. Here kitty... says:

Who doesn’t kick cats while whacked out on synthetics?

1. Iconoclast says:

In our household,my partner Bruce & I have 3 lovely purebred Poodles & 3 gorgeous Himalayan Cats..When I’ve been stressed out from my job at the Floral Shop,I snuggle with my partner & our pets & take deep, relaxing breaths..It soothes us all & makes for blissful harmony..More people should try that!

2. xsx says:

On a different but similar question:
    A person has too many pets, due to informal breeding on the part of the pets.
    Folks suggest that if there are too many pets, take them to the vet and have them put down at $50 each.

But if a person has a gun and shoots them in the head for 30 cents each – for the same reason, does one get in trouble with the law these days?

Or, if a person uses a different method to put a pet down that can’t be cared for, is this a legal issue; or does a person always have to take an animal to a VET to be put down to be legal these days?

1. Botanist says:

There is no reason to put an animal down simply because YOU can’t care for it.

It isn’t illegal to kill your pet, but if you fail to kill it and you maim it or severely injure it, or don’t kill it instantly, you can be in trouble. Also, kicking it to death I do not believe is an acceptable method.

2. Mark says:

You can put down your own pet, provided you actually put it down and don’t say… let it loose in the backyard and start taking pot shots at it. There is a big difference between putting an animal down and abusing it to death. It’s not difficult at all to tell the difference.

3. sam says:

It is fine to shoot your animal yourself. Why waste 50 dollars?

1. slimeball says:

Suppose so but then you can also do it to your wife or kids too___ right you fricken sicko.
        Give me your name and address and I’ll come show you what it feels like you piece of chit

1. insignificant says:

slimeball=sicko…you eqate a cat with humans you have left the realm of “down to earth,eh?

3. Pete says:

Let him lie down and have others kick him to death. It sounds like a fair punishment. I will voluntter! 🙂

1. jan says:

I’m with you, I’ll wear my cowboy boots

1. mike says:

Count me in also. But let’s be sure to make it last at least a couple hours before his lights are out…

4. Jon Lindquist says:

BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!!!

he is just as bad as that florida woman and her kids that killed two kittens

5. chopper says:

I just killed a fly maybe I should be cited.

1. Superchik1017 says:

I don’t think you get it.

1. @chopper says:

would require intelligence …. think chopper as anyway……naaaaaaa.
        More like a piece of fecal matter in his skull

6. Death by cat claws says:

Give me 3 min with this waste of life! We can even make it “even” and you can tie BOTH hands behind my back!

It’s people like this that are the DIRT of the earth and do not deserve any sympathy!

Good luck with the rest of your life buddy!!! A watse of life like you will need it….

And in MN we give gang bang thugs that smoke weed get the SAME sentance? We need to make crimes like this a much stiffer sentance!

7. treestump says:

Ironic he admitted taking plant food, this guy is a plant, this bag of feces probably has children he doesn’t even take care of.

8. Yeah... says:

Lot of internet tough guys…

1. Get-it-Mr-nobody says:

That is true but there’s nothing I wouldn’t say to your face, you’d back down like every other nothing does when they’re confronted, you see they don’t have live person chat rooms for us to hangout in all day, so this is our option.

9. jeff says:

i’m gonna tell ya something. i’ve never had to put a pet down, but i’ve seen it done volunteering for a vet when i was 16 and what i saw was quite unpleasant. (i will preface by saying, i’m not sure this happens a lot or all of the time)…….lady brings an old dog in. it can’t walk or eat. it was vomiting green stuff had cateracs (sp) etc. the lady excused herself and we put the dog on the table. i tried to sooth it by petting it and it bit me. obviously it was scared to death. so i stepped aside and let the doc insert the syringe. the dog got up on all fours, spun around, yelped and did a freakin’ back flip and it was over. i couldn’t believe it. now someone mentioned on here about shooting a dog as opposed to bringing it to the vet. after what i saw i think a bullet might be less traumatizing.

obviously this is in reference to comments and not the story. the guy that kicked his dog obviously was trying to abuse it and not humanely put it down. so i hope they throw the book at him.

1. Sue Terry says:

Hey Jeff~obviously you have no current real experience in euthanasia.

As a CVT working at a clinic I will tell you your story is far from reality. The term euthanasia means “good death” which is what we are trying to provide for pet owners.

I have never ever seen what you describe happen.

10. zee the reporter says:

Im going to WINONA to kick this man’s ass LOOK OUT FOR ME!

1. zee stupid says:

over a cat? ahahahahahahaha!!!

11. Kitty says:

Is the CAT OK WCCO, sheesh….