The Good Life For Less: State Fair State Of Mind

Do you have State Fair on the brain? With just a day to go, many do.  I’m one of them. Believe me, if you work at a TV station where you are living and breathing the Great Minnesota Get-Together longer than the 12 days of the fair, your brain can get as fried as a cheese curd. But let’s still make sure our wallets stay full and healthy, shall we?

For a quick way to save money on the midway and other fair locations check out the quick links guide below.

Today (08/24) is the last day to get many pre-fair discounts.

• Discount admission, Blue Ribbon Bargain Book and ride/game tickets at the State Fair Box Office, Cub Foods and greater Minnesota.

Discount Express Bus Fare ($4, Regularly $5)

If you miss the pre-fair deals, there are other ways to save when you are out at there.

Discount Admission Days (Kids Day, Seniors Day, and for the first time this year — Military Appreciation Day, where military members and their family get in at a discount.)

Blue Ribbon Bargain Books ($5)

Free Entertainment Stages

• You also can’t forget about the free talent contest at the Grandstand.

Booth Freebies (Deals, Drawings, and Giveaways)

Save some money and enjoy the fair even more!

Spot any other State Fair deals or tips, share them with other ‘Good Lifers’ in the comment section. You can also read more money-saving blog posts here and text WCCODEALS to 84816 for a ‘deals of the week’ reminder.

Comments

1. CommonMan says:

What a rip off. Over priced food…no wonder the vendors fight to get in on the great MN rip off. Hay family of 4, $60.00 just to walk in …and then get ripped off!!!

2. Jelser says:

I know, me my wife and child was $36.00 for tickets then $12.00 to park. Everything is over priced!

3. Rich Dude says:

Sure it costs, but the experience is worth it. As a group of four, we typically spend in excess of $1,000.00 for the day’s activities and thoroughly enjoy it.

1. Rich Dude says:

No, really. The State Fair is a good time for all. Our Limo drops us off right at the main gate on Snelling, we walk across the street and we’re at our first Hot Dog stand within the first 5 minutes. We even tip the food vendors $20.00 a time when the service is quick and easy. Nothing wrong with spending $50.00 at a “About a Foot Long” hot dog stand for some tasty food. Try it some time.

4. Gitty Up! says:

Yeeehaw!! Pickle dogs, cheese curds, shaved ice, horse shows, largest pig, fireworks, people watching, walking, camping, friends, family, showing my horses…..I think I hit most of the my bases of why I love the fair!

5. Frog says:

quit your flippin whining. People still come out in droves to this once a year get-together. I, myself do not have a problem spending the money either. If you don’t want to spend the money, then stay home or maybe get in line for some more democratic handouts.

1. Jack says:

Intolerant much? I guess you’re the only one allowed to express an opinion? Your post was the one that reeked of whining. Here’s a taste of your own medicine: “Quit your flippin’ whining. People comment on web articles all the time. I have no problem reading them. If you don’t like people’s comments, don’t read them. Just stay offline or get in line at your own Whining about whining club.

See how that works both ways?

6. Jack says:

I understand the love of the State Fair. I used to have it. I lost it when they got too pricey. In this economy, when you haven’t had a raise in three years and are barely making it each month, the State Fair just isn’t possible or reasonable.

As for this article: No grammar check? “If you miss the pre-fair deals, there are other ways to save when you are OUT AT THERE.”

As for the “deals” at the State Fair… seriously? Deals? When is saving $5 when you spend < $100 a deal? This suddenly makes the state fair affordable? But, I guess this kind of subliminal marketing works on far too many people.

7. LOVES THE MN STATE FAIR! says:

My mom, 2 sisters, 2 brothers, and I have been attending the MN State Fair for many years. We love it! If you buy your tickets ahead of time at Cub and pick and choose cheaper foods it’s worth it and really not that expensive. If the Great Minnesota Get Together is too expensive and not fun for you, then stay home and don’t ruin it for the rest of us who really enjoy it!! Looking forward to coming to the MN State Fair Tomm..!!!!!

1. Davis says:

So, your only interested in YOUR State Fair experience and other people ruining YOUR time there. Others who have different opinions than you should just keep quiet so YOU can have fun. Got it. That’s not selfish at all.

8. LaQuanda Jefferson says:

Do the food vendors accept EBT?

1. R U Kidding?? says:

PLEASE tell my that was a JOKE?!

9. Loves the MN State Fair! says:

Yes! I am only interested in my state fair experience, why would I care about others experience! If you don’t like the state fair, don’t even post to this site!! Actually I am not being selfish,I’m telling the truth! Get over it!!