Fake Pregnant Woman Drinks At Fair To Raise Awareness

FALCON HEIGHTS, Minn. (WCCO) — If you saw a pregnant woman drinking would you stop and say something? That’s what one organization tested at the Minnesota State Fair.

“We’re trying to bring the issue of drinking during pregnancy a little bit more to the surface,” said Emily Gunderson with the Minnesota Organization on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.

The non-profit hired an actress wearing a fake belly to stand in front of Leinenkugel’s Lodge drinking a beer. The actress stood in the same spot for some time with another friend as cameras recorded reaction from people.

Fairgoers walking by took notice, but refrained from saying something. Many walked away shaking their heads with disappointment. Joelle Denning and her family were some of them.

“It’s really none of my business,” said Denning. “She looked like she was in her last trimester. And my doctor told me I could have a glass of wine or beer in my last trimester.”

NewsRadio 830 WCCO’s Edgar Linares Reports

Denning works at a detox center and said she knows first-hand what alcohol can do to an unborn child.

Each year, 8,500 children are born inMinnesotawith prenatal alcohol exposure according to MOFAS. Nationally Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Disorders affects about one in every 100 live births.

“It’s not illegal for a pregnant woman to drink,” said Gunderson. “Our organization just wants to make sure women have good accurate information before they make those choices.”

Gunderson said there are many people who don’t know drinking during pregnancy can harm an unborn child. She said there’s also many who are misinformed and added there is no alcohol that’s safe during pregnancy.

“We want to bring the whole issue to the surface and get people to just take notice,” said Gunderson.

The reaction video will placed on YouTube for fetal alcohol awareness month, which starts in September.

More from Edgar Linares
Comments

1. lefty says:

if I saw her sucking down a quart of booze Yes otherwise NO

2. mauerfan says:

If you’re gonna fake a pregnancy actually look pregnant.

3. Lookitup says:

Most studies suggest having a drink or two a week while pregnant (not a drink or two per hour) likely results in a developmental advantage for the first five years of your child’s life.

No need to go nutty on someone out of ignorance because you see them having a drink, no matter what the fringe groups who ignore the peer-reviewed research suggest.

4. Social truths says:

Just, another example of the planet of the apes, women. Woman doesn’t criticize woman. Never ever let a man even try.

5. Deep Thinker says:

Wow, what a ground breaking experiment…..give me a break…..must be a really slow news day

6. Drink Up says:

There is not enough alcohol in the world that would allow me to get this woman pregnant….and really, is there nothing better to report on?

7. Jimmy says:

Looked like another Fergus Falls chick. So it only made sense to me!!!

8. Dale Gribble says:

Big brother sticking his nose into our business again. My Mom drank a quart of Crown Royal every week before she birthed me.

1. As jack said... says:

Dale I must admit, you’re why I continue to read the WCCO news website. You are my guilty pleasure!

9. Lady GoGo says:

I would never give Dale Gribble a second look because his Mother drank Crown Royal before she birthed him.

10. Community Organizer says:

So stupid. Just pass out wrist bands and ribbons to deface property with. Seems to work for all the other “awareness” causes. So dumb.

11. mike m says:

I agree fake a better belly would ya and have a small child with ya and smacke the kid around a little for some drama.

12. ridiculousidea says:

I would imagine this would justify drinking to pregnant would be drinkers. How does this help anyone?

13. Sue J says:

Just another group trying to tell us how to live our lives! Stay out of our lives and don’t tell us how to raise our children!!

14. Frank Furter says:

I’m soooooo confused!

If a woman has a fake belly, I’m expected to stare at her.
    If a woman has fake boobs, I’m not supposed to stare at her.

I can’t help it, I have to look!

15. Felix says:

I think Gunderson needs to do a little more research. Many doctors will recomend a beer or two a day to counter the effects of gestational diabetes. Now if you are going to throw down a 12 pack a day then that is a different story. I think that Gunderson working in a detox center has seen the extreme of what alcohol can do an unborn fetus and is quite misinformed when she makes the statement that no alcohol is safe. Everything in excess is harmful to the human body.

16. Eyelastin review says:

The information on your website is good. looking forward for more postings.

17. Fantastically enlightening thanks, It is my opinion your trusty followers could perhaps want a lot more posts such as this maintain the great content.