DeBlog: Sports, Weather, And My News

I guess I passed my initiation.

Last night at 5 minutes to airtime, executive producer Matt Liddy came to me and said, “We lost the signal to the fair. You may be doing sports.” We don’t do our entire newscast live from the State Fair at 10 p.m., we do have one anchor, weather and sports out there.

Technical gremlins messed with the audio, so we had a nice HD picture from the fair, but no audio. That’s a problem.

My good question (on the Lynx) aired, and then I left the anchor desk to go chat with producer Gregg Litman, who was doing sports last night.

In the meantime, we tried to get Chris Shaffer on the phone, but the signal kept dropping out. So we took a break, tried again, and failed again. I tweeted it out, and people thought I was kidding that I was going to do sports.

Nope.

——-

Then we took another break, and rather than trying a third time get Shaffer on the phone, Amelia and I took over.

——-

Believe me, it’s good we have Mark Rosen and Chris Shaffer on a nightly basis, but that was pretty fun getting through it with Amelia.

Oh, about my initiation. This weekend I’m taking on a new challenge at WCCO — I’ll be anchoring Sunday night at 5:30 p.m. and 10 pm with my good friend Liz Collin. On big news nights or during special events, I’ll be doing Saturday as well (I’ll be on this Saturday live at the fair, and then at the station at 10).

I’ll still be doing Good Question, Monday through Thursday nights at 10.

I couldn’t be more excited to be sitting next to Liz on Sunday nights, and I think we make an incredible team. Liz grew up in Worthington and in her time here, she’s been involved in covering almost every big story that’s happened: from tornados, to flooding, to the RNC Convention. She’s also our top investigative reporter, as you saw in this week’s I-TEAM story on St. Paul’s Union Station condo debacle.

I’ve been here since 2003, my wife is a Wayzata High School graduate, our two kids were born here. For 3 1/2 years I’ve been answering Good Questions, trying to help make sense of a fascinating time in our history. Before that, I was the one covering every big story. The night the 35W bridge collapsed, I was one of the first reporters on the air.

Along with meteorologist Lauren Casey and sports legend Mark Rosen, you’re not going to find a stronger line-up on Sunday nights. So I hope you’ll start tuning in (or keep tuning in) starting this weekend!

Hopefully, I won’t have to do the weather anymore.

More from Jason DeRusha
Comments

1. Bobby says:

F****! I’m so rattled that I did not check my comment! I meant “”you’ve replace a classy anchor,, Dennis Douda with a CARTOON crazy eyes who makes my wife, sisters, nieces and ALL my female FRIENDS creep out!!” Sorry

2. Nancy Aleshire says:

I disagree with Bobby. Jason, you bring excitement to a less than charismatic news broadcast. Yes, I do miss the class and knowledge of Dennis Douda, but humor is GOOD. You do exhibit the tact and seriousness when the situation warrants it (i.e. bridge collapse and deaths and abuse of children). GOOD JOB JASON–My son and I enjoyed the broadcast. as well as “Good Question”

1. Bobby says:

Ok..Jason..you can’t take criticism and deleted my comment. That’s very professional. Ya..you just want your fans to know the flaky fake stuff and not the reality, that you suck as a report and worst at being an anchor!

Nancy, I don’t care of you disagree with me. That’s fine. You have right to your opinion. Of course Jason is good at seriousness about abuse of children…he uses his kids all the time on tv. What a way to inform crazies about his kids. They are cute and precious and if Jason was a good father, he would leave them out of eye of the public.
      Ta – ta for now Jason.

3. Bobby says:

Ta – ta for now Jason.

1. Jason DeRusha says:

Bobby – by all means complain about my work. No problem there. But this is my blog – and I won’t allow personal attacks or profanity. I’ll leave this one up- because you obviously are very passionate about how much I suck. It’s important to have passions in life, so keep it up!

4. don cate says:

Just read some of comments people send to CCO, boy are they tough on you. . easy question.. . you had a segment on last week regarding will making done by WHO, I need that link you advised
    thanks