Target Faces Backlash From Customers Looking For Missoni

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — An all-out marketing blitz online, in magazines and in the blogosphere had shoppers ready for the debut of the very high-end Missoni line at Target stores.

But, the line sold out quickly in stores nationwide, crashing Target’s website and leaving many shoppers angry.

Social networking sites, especially Twitter, are providing a platform for the backlash, which features tweets like this one on Wednesday, “So Target is totally sold out of Missoni and the only way to get it is from extorting eBay trolls?” The answer is yes.

At the downtown Minneapolis Target, the 400-item Missoni collection is down to a few pieces, with a crowd of wistful shoppers gazing at the remaining scraps.

“I’m really disappointed it’s only the second day of the collection and I was really hoping there would be more stuff,” Natalie Barry said.

Around town you can spot the ones who got to Target early Tuesday — like Keegan Shoutz, who waited in line for the St. Louis Park store to open and scored a number of items including a tie for $24 and socks for $6.

“I was getting text messages from people who had gone to the the downtown store saying it was already wiped out,” Shoutz said.

The big question is whether Target will get new merchandise and while Target would not provide anyone on camera for us to interview, off camera they said that won’t be happening — that bits of merchandise will dribble in.

And not being able to restock could be a PR problem for Target.

“It’s kind of a weighing situation,” Prof. Dave Brennan of St. Thomas University said. “They really have something here and the other problem is, they don’t have enough of it. The disappointing thing is, if it’s all gone in one day, it really makes you look pretty bad.”

As for eBay, 27,000 items from the Target collection are now on the online auction website.

A $65 towel on eBay was $13 at Target Tuesday. Bad news for Becca Bijoch, as she scoured the Internet at her job at Lola Red PR. Her hopes of a Missoni bathroom makeover is fading fast.

“I am super bummed,” Bijoch said.

Experts say some of this falls into the “any publicity, is good publicity” category but Target was also hoping having the Missoni merchandise in stores for the next month would lure shoppers in who would then buy other items. With no more merchandise, that’s not going to happen.

More from Esme Murphy
Comments

1. smb says:

Be mad at the trolls. Not Target.
    Just like the scalpers who buy up concert tickets to resell.

2. I'm a Troll!!!!! says:

Thats me I’m one of those Trolls got a bag on eBay right now baby……Sell sell sell

1. Mister Self Destruct says:

The profit margin by reselling other people’s stuff is pretty low. You may want to consider post-secondary education.

1. I'm a Troll!!!!!! says:

@ Mister Self Destruct, I actually have a MBA you know Master’s of Business Administration. In case you needed me to show you what that means. I have a very successful career and don’t need the money for the bag I just don’t need the bag. Next time don’t judge until you know facts.

2. Can't Trolls just do some Trolling?? says:

I actually have a MBA you know Master’s of Business Administration. In case you needed me to show you what that means. I have a very successful career and don’t need the money for the bag I just don’t need the bag. Don’t judge until you know facts. The person has a choice, either buys it or not. Do you really think the products you buy in everyday life are exactly what the person selling it paid for it?

3. Man says:

Lusting after this trash is pretty comical. You’d think people would have better things to do. Then again, considering how shallow some people’s lives are, guess this kind of junk is all it takes fill up the space.

1. Pate says:

Ha ha! Exactly! What a waste!

4. Wah, wah, wah says:

You want the stuff that bad? Then pay me the $$$$!!

5. Richard in Minneapolis says:

Who (or what) is Missoni?

6. Madame Blueberry...Not says:

Richard, Google it, I just did because I didn’t know either. And I’m pretty sure I can live without Missoni or the knock off Target Missoni. Crazy people. It’s just stuff.

1. KS says:

And somewhat ugly stuff at that, in my opinion.

7. OMGoodness says:

It’s a free market world! Stuff is worth what people will pay for it. Tell me there’s nothing in your home now that you wouldn’t sell for more than what you paid for it… if you could…..Some people just get mad because they didn’t get too it first.

8. Mister Self Destruct says:

These types of product lines are sold using the “bigger idiot” theory in which they price things based on how dumb the people are who will want it.

Here, they line up and show themselves openly. Take heed.

9. What's the BIG deal to resell???? says:

This is to all that think reselling something for more is wrong. Next time you buy something at the store or wherever think about this; Do you really think you are paying exactly what they paid for it? No they are making a profit so what is the difference if I were to buy something for 25 and then sell it for 50? What makes me any different than anyone in this world that sells something? It is called supply and demand the less supply of something the more demand for it. Economics 101 people

10. Supply and Demand!! says:

Next time you buy something at the store or wherever think about this; do you really think you are paying exactly what they paid for it? No they are making a profit so what is the difference if I were to buy something for 25 and then sell it for 50? What makes me any different than anyone in this world that sells something? It is called supply and demand the less supply of something the more demand for it. Economics 101 people

11. Off Target says:

Only people buying this stuff is the once rich biddies who lost their money!