Charges: Man Fired Shots At Cops Conducting Traffic Stop

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — An 18-year-old man has been charged after allegedly firing shots at Minneapolis police officers because he was “bored,” according to authorities.

Malo Dashaunta Gomez faces two felony counts of first-degree attempted murder and two felony counts of first-degree assault.

According to the criminal complaint, on the evening of July 25, Minneapolis police officers conducted a traffic stop on the 3200 block of Penn Avenue North. While waiting for a tow truck to remove the car, approximately six shots were fired at a squad car that two police officers were occupying. No one was hit.

Numerous officers and two canines helped in the search, but the shooter was not located.

An investigation by the Minneapolis Police Crime Lab determined the shots came from a vacant lot on the south side of 3230 Penn Avenue North. There, officers discovered nine discharged cartridge casings.

In August, Hennepin County Violent Offender Task Force Unit began to hear that Gomez was claiming responsibility for the shooting, according to the complaint. Gomez lived about a block away from where the shots were fired.

An inmate in the Red Wing Correctional Facility confirmed to officers that “street talk” among gang members said Gomez was the shooter.

On Sept. 15, officers learned that Gomez was in the Hennepin County Jail on other charges. When police went to interview him, he initially denied shooting at the officers, but later admitted to it.

Gomez told investigators that he shot at the officers with a high-point 9mm gun. He said he had no reason for shooting at them, other than he was “bored” and “wanted to fire the gun off,” according to the complaint.

If convicted, Gomez could face up to 20 years in prison for each charge.

Comments

1. You my friend... says:

…make a strong case. I can’t argue with your hypothesis.

2. Git a rope says:

This kind of “boredom” cannot be treated, only “cured”. Let’s help him

3. Dumb isn't just a 4 letter word says:

Lets process this for a second, Malo Dashaunta Gomez (sounds like a real bright person to begin with) shoots at cops because he was bored. I say we waterboard him because I’m bored (Timberwolves, Twins, Vikings, Wild, Gophers, etc…..)

4. Who dat says:

What? That guns don’t kill people, boredom does?

5. Mike Hawk says:

Goodbye a hole. Now you’ll be spending all your time with your kind, for a long, long time…

6. jerk says:

Already in jail for other charges…. well looks like you will be there for a while loser

7. Kevin says:

He’s a nice boy just made a mistake or two. Let’s give him a break.

1. me too says:

which bone(s)?

8. I think says:

…your parents can set your fate when they name you. Says is all.

9. Barney says:

Doesn’t Penn Ave run north and south? The shots must have come a long distance.

10. just sayin says:

Lets shoot at him!

11. name him, claim him says:

Later on we will just hear how he was turning his life around…

12. RetroDude says:

Another fine example of a brothah. Ain’t diversity grand?

13. Suzette M says:

Not that I don’t agree that he deserves to get the maximum penalty and more, can we nearly guarantee that he will get more time than Amy Senser??? What this man did was wrong. Amy however took a life, went home to sleep off the booze, THEN turned herself in!! Justice for the rich vs. justice for the poor. Hmmmmmmm!

1. Billy Bob says:

There is no evidence that Mrs. Seser was intoxicated. She ran over a man and swill be prosectued. She will receive time in jail. This POS shot at the police. If this POS will fire at a cop because he is bored….you dont think he will shoot at you? Are you that freakin ignorant? This POS needs to be put away forever. Mrs. Senser needs to come to my bedroom…where Suzette…you and I will entertain her…….wear black…I love black…

1. Suzette M says:

I’m a Tranny..but okay!!

14. Loser says:

I wonder how bored he will get in a 6×8 cell rotflmao

15. North Side Res says:

One less stupid thug we have to deal with on the street of Minneapolis. He looks like a real winner, too. I wonder if he’s bored in jail?

1. me again says:

nah – he gets to hang with all his “homies” there…

Not to mention having a big family reunion…

16. pathetic says:

I really think that about 300 people should claim they are bored and shoot at him… you know, just get our guns off.

17. barneyF says:

Doesn’t look like a thug…

18. Murph says:

He’ll get bored from behind and often in prison.A young cutie like that will have lots of friends!

19. Loser says:

So the guy is facing 80 years in prison?

Let me first preface that I’m not very tolerant. Seems to me there should be an automatic death penalty if your sentence puts you beyond your life expectancy.

1. waste of space says:

Here lies the problem. He will not get 80 years in prison. I guarantee that. Life in prison for 1st degree murder is a maximum sentence of 40 years. I will bet you that he gets around 20-25 if he has a significant criminal history….which would be hard to believe that he doesn’t. The court system in MN is a complete joke. Attorney’s always make a deal so it doesn’t go to trial….in most cases… oh, BTW, he will get a tax paying public defender I’m sure.

He should get 80 years, but that’s not going to happen in Liberal MN

20. Friend123 says:

How many of you commentators claim to be Christian?
    Jesus loved the sinners.
    He who is without sin cast the first stone.

There is a lot of violence in your comments. Violence will never stop violence.

1. me again says:

OK; I’m willing to stone ’em to death …

(Hey it saves the cost of the bullets)

2. waste of space says:

and Jesus spoke about an eye for an eye. He who sheds another mans blood, shall have their blood shed. (specificly murder)

21. Jake says:

Good thing that you weren’t our Commander in Chief in 1941. You would be speaking Japanese or German today.

22. Friend123 says:

No, eye for an eye is from the old testament….exodus.
    Jesus quoted it for the sole purpose of specifically rejecting it.

You have heard that it was said, “An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth”. But I say to you, do not resist an evildoer. If anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. (Matthew 5:38–39, NRSV)

23. g8bbgg says:

Another one of Keith Ellisons’s misunderstood youth….