Minn. Amish Teen Dies After Being Thrown By Horse

WINONA, Minn. (AP) — Olmstead County authorities say an Amish teen has died of severe head injuries he suffered in a farm accident earlier this week.

The coroner’s office says 16-year-old Joseph Yoder was mowing hay Tuesday with a horse-drawn mower. The farm where he was working is near Clyde, southeast of St. Charles.

Winona County sheriff’s investigator Kraig Glover says Yoder climbed on the horse to get it to go faster. Glover says the horse reared back and threw the boy headfirst into a hitch, and then stepped on his head.

A Winona Daily News report says a 13-year-old boy working nearby ran for help.

Yoder was airlifted to a Rochester hospital. The coroner’s office said Friday the boy later died.

Comments

1. KM says:

So sorry to hear that…the family is in my thoughts and prayers.

2. MAJ says:

Sad to say, but this way of life has had more than its share of farm accidents. Had a chance to visit an Amish cemetary and was amazed at the number of children who died way to young. They make their living farming, lumbering, etc. One slip up and you have a fatality.

3. Jenny says:

Very sorry to hear about this tragic death. I can not imagine loosing a child at any age. My heart goes out to the family and community of Joseph.

4. Jcanton says:

I’m surprised the AP reporter here doesn’t know how to spell “Olmsted.” In the lede.

1. Steve says:

@Jcanton. I’m surprised that you spotted the misspelled words…you have two in your short post.

5. JackieM says:

Sorry to hear this. My thoughts go out to the family and community.

6. Ellen says:

What a tragedy for the family and the community. Whether farming with machinery
    or with horses, it can be a dangerous occupation. Sympathy to the family in the
    loss of their son.

7. rml says:

This is so sad and so tragic….. but I guess it makes no sense to me why anyone would climb onto a horses back and try to “make it go faster”…. I’ve owned horses all my life, they have limits too.