Mpls. Bridge To Go Pink For Breast Cancer Awareness

MINNEAPOLIS (AP/WCCO) — The Interstate 35W Bridge in Minneapolis is turning pink to raise awareness of breast cancer.

A pink hue will resonate from the bridge on Friday evening to help kick off the American Cancer Society’s “Making Strides Against Breast Cancer” walk the next morning.

The lights are set to go on at 6 p.m. Friday and glow throughout the night.

The Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk will be held Saturday at Lake Nokomis in south Minneapolis. Registration begins at 8 a.m. with the walk starting at 9:30 a.m.

Similar walks will be held in Rochester and Winona.

The I-35W bridge has also changed its colors for Sept. 11 (red, white, blue) and gay pride weekend (rainbow).

(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

1. Jean Brown says:

Sorry, but I am so totally fed up with the “awareness” being shoved down our throats. There are so many types of cancer and breast cancer gets all the publicity.

1. Little John says:

Breast cancer is huge and it also affects men but it should be awareness of all cancers too.

1. facts says:

I think it is great that there is such support for curing breast cancer.

But LUNG cancer kills 4 times as many people. COLAN cancer kills 30% more people.

Where is their pink, white, blue or yellow bridge?

1. FACT says:

LOTS OF LUNG CANCER IS FROM SMOKERS AND SECOND HAND SMOKING which is very preventable where breast cancer not so much

2. what!?! says:

tell this to my Mom who is a 6 year survivor….

2. T says:

Susan G Komen has become a competitive corporation and this pink sh*&^ has gone way too far. Breast cancer is bad but there are many bad things. Gotta go….someone who says they work for sue is at my door.

3. P says:

Get breast cancer and then see how you feel about the awareness.

4. Exp says:

While I understand the horrors of cancer, I think more attention than is fair is being placed on Breast cancer. What about Prostate Cancer awareness? Or testicular, or Colon, or Lymphomas, or Brain, or Pancreatic (Jobs) any of the dozens of types of cancers.
    I’ve had four people close to me have cancer, none of them breast. So why is it all I hear about? While some may not like the truth or may see it as offensive, it is true that the squeaky wheel gets the most grease. I believe that applies here.

5. See BS says:

Heart Disease kills more women than breast cancer, so these fascist “Awareness” movements are disturbing to me.

Making a popularity contest over healthcare funding will only lead to healthcare problems wars. Hemmoroids Awareness groups will get deprived of funding and the more popular groups will get more funding than others..

And if a sports figure or celeb refuses to wear pink, purple or the latest color they will be outcasted for it.