Target Corporation Asked To ‘Save’ Thanksgiving

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A Target employee delivered petitions with more than 200,000 signatures to a company representative, asking that the stores Black Friday opening, currently slated for midnight on Thursday, be pushed back.

“That early time opening robs employees of time with their family,” said Target employee Seth Coleman.

Many workers would have to be at the store by 11 p.m. to help get ready for the shopping rush at midnight. But some workers say they will have to work even more hours on Thanksgiving Day.

Coleman, who presented the petition to Target management, said he will have to work at the Northfield Target store on Thanksgiving Day from 4 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., and then from 11 p.m. overnight into Black Friday.

“That means I will only have about 10 hours or so of not being at work on Thanksgiving,” Coleman said. “If I’m at work almost the entire day, I have nothing to give thanks for or, at least, no one to give thanks with.”

“A full holiday with the family is not just for the elite of this nation,” Coleman said.

Coleman was asked about his protest, given the fact that so many people are out of work.

“A hundred years ago, a child was lucky to not have his arm caught in a machine at a textile factory. Just because the things are the way they are, doesn’t mean that they are right,” he said.

Unitarian Minister David Breeden was among the protestors delivering the petition.

“Now Black Friday is creeping in to darken Thanksgiving,” he said.

Coleman and other faith leaders handed over the bags of petitions, in Target bags, to Target representative Anahita Cameron who will give them to Target CEO Gregg Steinhafel.

“At Target, we deeply value and respect the rights of our team members to express their opinions,” said Cameron.

Cameron went onto to say that the decision to open at midnight on Black Friday was not made lightly, but given the competitive nature of the retail industry, the stores will open at midnight on Thanksgiving night.

“Our guests have expressed that they would prefer to kick off their holiday shopping experience right after the holiday celebrations rather than getting up in the middle of the night,” Cameron said.

Target customers WCCO-TV spoke with were split about the Black Fridays hours.

“They got to keep up with everybody else,” said Theresa Powers. “Everybody else is doing it, why not them.”

“I think they absolutely should not open,” said Wendy Williams. “I think it’s a holiday. I think employees should be able to stay home and I think people can wait until Friday morning to shop.”

Target is not the only retailer opening early. Kohl’s, Best Buy and Macy’s are also opening at midnight. Toy ‘R’ Us and Walmart are opening Thanksgiving night.

The campaign Change.org was launched by Anthony Hardwick, a Target employee in Omaha, Neb., after he learned the company’s management had moved the standard “Black Friday” opening time up from 5 a.m. on Friday to midnight on Thanksgiving.

Last week, Target released a statement about the petition and Hardwick saying, “The team member you are referencing is not now, and has never been, scheduled to work on Thanksgiving or Black Friday at Target. Our understanding is that this team member also works full-time for another retailer. In early November, he informed his Target managers that he was scheduled to work at his other job on Black Friday and indicated that he needed the day off from Target. We honored that request.”

More from Susie Jones
Comments

1. A waste of everyone's time says:

The guy’s an idiot. What does he expect Target to do, ask it’s competitors to stop selling so they have time to catch up? As long as there are buyers, Target and everybody else will be there to ring the cash registers.

I don’t care if he’s got a million signatures on his petition, the only way to vote is with your wallet. If you don’t like it, don’t shop. If you don’t want to work that day, step aside because there are plenty of people ready to take your place.

1. Happy Target Employee says:

I work for a Target store here in the North-East Metro and I enjoy my job. I love helping our guests and I find my co-workers pleasant and refreshing. I requested to work the overnight Thanksgiving day into Black Friday and will be there. I don’t understand what this young man is attempting to do other than to show that he is not as excited to be a Target employee in retail as some are. I thank God for this job.

1. Save it for the newsletter says:

You posted this identical comment a day or two ago, and as you communicate in platitudinous and robotic corporate-speak (“I love helping our guests and I find my co-workers pleasant and refreshing.” Seriously?) you are either an android or someone working out of the Human Resources cube farm over at Target corporate. If you are an android with reading capabilities, and if you read this, please to report back to your programmer that his or her creation has failed the Turing test miserably. If you are a human being, you should indeed thank God for your job, as I doubt you’ll find an environment as forgiving of your second-rate intellect as the bastion of mediocrity that is the HR department in a large corporation.

In any event, how about you save the Orwellian newspeak for the company newsletter? Try speaking to us like a human being next time.

2. Barb says:

“The only way to vote is with your wallet.”

Or if there are enough people….your body at a sit-in.

I definitely want to hear this story. In fact, I am peeved that wcco is giving only those with cell phones the opportunity to express their opinions publicly.

If there’s anyone I don’t listen to it’s a naysayer. This would be a very different country if our Founding Fathers were that way.

1. My grandpappy saw you at Woodstock says:

A sit-in? That’s so 70s. You must still be feeling the effects of Woodstock.

2. Taxpayer says:

I think there will be more injuries due to trample this Friday. The people lining up at midnight will be at least 2% heavier when storming into the stores.

3. Jaylee1700 says:

When you take a job working retail you accept the fact that you will be working ver early on Black Friday. I use to work retail and even though they didn’t open until 700AM we still have come in at 1000PM that night to set up the merchandise. As an employee he should just suck it up. So you won’t get sleep one night. Be thankful you have a job

4. KM says:

What I do not understand is why this petition is only focused on Target. KMart has been open all day on Thanksgiving Day for the last eight to ten years and never have I heard a peep from anyone regarding it. I do not agree with their decision to be open on Thanksgiving Day, but I let them know by not shopping there. Working retail includes nights and weekends and yes holidays now, but if people don’t wish to work those days, find another field to work in. Target is only doing what the customer wants and I bet they will get pretty busy come midnight.

1. Callie's Mom says:

Exactly.

2. ROBERT says:

THATS BECAUSE NO BODY SHOPS AT KAME-APPART

1. KM says:

Well, enough people shop there on Thanksgiving Day to make it profitable enough to stay open year after year!!

3. Respect Anyone ?? says:

Maybe because HE works for Target?? Should he get petitions for the stores he doesn’t work for ?? I hope that Target also gives everything away free, because I’m sure that is also what the ” customers want”.

5. slaves to retail says:

I feel for these people who must work when they were otherwise sleeping. Is it volunteers? They must also deal with the usual late out at night, Drunks who hopefully won’t cause bodily harm to any person who thinks shopping at Midnight is a must. ” Be thankful you have a Job”, statement helps out the slave driving; send all the jobs to China, mentality.

1. Reasearch says:

Agreed. I’m so sick of the be thankful you hava a job card. “Can I take a break masta as so my hands can heal?” “No slave. Be thankful you have a roof over your head and food in your stomach.” “Now go trim my shrubs!?”

1. Jake says:

Well then, if you are SO SMART, create your own business, then you can work whatever hours that you want, then watch the competition eat you alive, assuming you are any kind of ‘competition’ to begin with. Good thing that you weren’t born in the 1920’s or 30’s, you wouldn’t have lasted very long.

2. Redneck Purist says:

Slave? Who’s a slave? I have zero pity for these people who claim they’re enslaved by their job. I don’t recall ever seeing a Target employee breakin’ a sweat on the job. They call it work for a reason. And a Target job is barely that. Me thinks some people are feeling a wee bit too sorry for themselves. One midnight shift a year hardly constitutes a hardship. Quit whining and get to work or find a new job.

6. Blue Light says:

Certainly this tool knew he would be working holidays and non-9-to-5 hours when he took the job.

Fire him.

1. jackactionhero says:

Fire him for what? What has he done wrong, dingbat?

7. NH says:

I’m not sure why so much attention is being focused on Target. Has anyone bothered to notice that Walmart and KMart are open all day on Thanksgiving? Additionally … with so many people out of work and the US still recovering from the recession … shouldn’t we be thankfull that there are companies doing what they can to profitable? If the companies aren’t profitable they can’t keep people on the payroll. Do we really want more unemployment? Companies are vital to jobs, jobs are vital to people and people are vital to companies … it is how it has always worked. What happened to the people being upset at the corrupt banks and wallstreet backdoor deals ??? They are the ones that created the issues that started the recession … not the employers of the 99%!!

8. Rich Effer says:

America sux, HUGE!!

9. M says:

Hey, I like to shop, but the only thing I’m going to be looking at on midnight on Thanksgiving is the inside of my eyelids. Nothing is on sale at midnight that won’t be on sale on 6:00 am. And I can’t believe that they will earn any more money opening at midnight than they will if they open at 5:00 a.m.–they actually might lose money given that they have to pay employees to be there when no one else will.

10. patrioticfox says:

I worked Christmas eve, Christmas day, and Thanksgiving day, I am glad that I still have a job. This Coleman guy reminds me those “Occupying whatever” people, when things do go their way, the protest like a baby instead of work for what they want.

1. patrioticfox says:

Correction——When things DON’T go their way, that is

1. Kieron says:

Even you have to admit it’s gotten significantly tougher to work for what you want than it used to be when you were young. Young folks these days often have degrees that are nearly worthless and they’re drowning in student loan debt.

1. patrioticfox says:

These Obama’s children made the choice what degree they’d like to pursue, they made the choice to get a student loan when attending universities, no one forced them to do anything. If they don’t like what they do, or the result of it, it’s their own fault, so quit crying to the whole world and try to make others to be responsible for their choice.

1. jackactionhero says:

“try to make others to be responsible for their choice.”

My god are you an idiot. You’re one of the stupid people who think they’re out there as an en masse panhandling operation. That really highlights how mediocre your IQ is, that’s for sure…

11. randy says:

Grow a pair buddy…….take a nap after dinner like the rest of America will do then go do your job, before they give it to someone else, whiner !!

1. Dave says:

Agreed! This guy needs to find more things to do to fill out his day. There is no reason to single out one corporation when others are doing the same. Target is closed for Thanksgiving. Walmart, not so much. Time to man up..

12. susie says:

Really?
    What about all the healthcare workers that work every holiday at the hospitals and nursing homes? Should we stay home on Thursday?

1. Shelly, RN says:

Thank you Susie. This petitioner sounds as though Target employees are the only people being “robbed” of time with their families on the holiday. For most nurses and other direct caregivers in healthcare, working holidays is a simple fact of life that we learn to deal with. Perhaps the petitioner needs to spend his holiday doing something constructive, like filling out job applications to work somewhere else.

1. Citizen says:

Critical service jobs are totally different. The services are necessary. Shopping and retail greed is not. Get the difference?

2. jackactionhero says:

Healthcare work is a career and one for whom the professionals in the field do with great passion. They receive extensive training and schooling in preparation to be a nurse, doctor, pharmacist, etc.

Someone scanning tags and hanging shirts isn’t really comparable for contribution and dedication.

13. Abby Blohowiak says:

This is ridiculous. I work at Target and this guy took off Black Friday and they let him. Now he’s complaining? What a joke. He needs to get over himself and be happy that he even has a job. Everyone makes sacrifices.

1. jackactionhero says:

You’re ok with sacrificing irreplaceable time with your family for $9 per hour on Thanksgiving?

You sell your family too cheaply.

14. Al says:

The whiner, I heard that Target asked for volunteers….This is ridiculous. working on holidays is normal for most workers. Hospitals, power company, police, EMT and fire, support organizations, the list goes on and on. Many occupations require 7X24 coverage. Anyone that signed this petition is an idiot. Remember, on Thanksgiving Day, if you have Thanksgiving Turkey preparation issues call the hotline printed on the packaging.

15. Debby says:

HEY!! Midnight is no longer Thanksgiving…it actually IS Black Friday. Quit whining and get your butt to work!!

16. Jeremy says:

I am assuming that most of you posting in favor of these hours have the weekend off because your jobs do not require you to work. I believe there is a principle involved here. This country is too dependent on the almighty dollar. Where is the family values?? I work in retail and I agree with this Target employee. Also the headache I have gone through the last 2 weeks when my company found out that all these other companies were opening at midnight and we had to completely rewrite our schedules and entire plans because instead of starting at 4am as planned we were now starting at midnight. My company is only doing it because Target is doing it. My company is Walmart, yea, thats right, I said Walmart.

I believe many of you would be singing another tune if we suddenly decided that all schools would be back in session for Friday and the DMV would be reopened on Friday and say banks, dentist offices, state construction workers and other such jobs. I hold to the fact that there are some jobs yes that need to work but I do not believe we should be opening this can of worms. Most of you don’t realize that if we retail workers need to be to work for this, we don’t just get to show up when you shoppers do. I will be at my job for 9 hours Thanksgiving morning and then 12 hours starting 8pm thanksgiving night. Thus I will spent 90% of thanksgiving sleeping so I can go back to work. I will not be able to be with my family for more than an hour if at all.

What happen to holidays?? Vacation time? Should just start opening on Christmas Day? Hell, we are already open until 8pm Christmas Eve shooting most employees plans for a Christmas Service. When does it stop??

1. Jake says:

Here is my work schedule for the next week, Jeremy. Work Tues and Wed, have Thanksgiving OFF. Work Friday, off Sat, work Sunday, off next Monday and Tuesday. Is that a great schedule or WHAT, and I’m even in a union. Where can I travel with a work schedule like THAT?? THAT’S LIFE. It’s a good thing that you don’t work for a 24/7 operation, like the police, utility companies, convenience stores, mail/package delivery companies, transportation companies, healthcare workers, the military, etc. SUCK IT UP, you big BABY. Get a different job, or start your own company, then you can work as much, or as LITTLE, as you want to. See where that gets you. A petition? Big effin deal.

1. Molly says:

I didn’t realize a glory hole-mouth breeder was supported by a union.

1. Jake says:

There are more of US than you will ever know….

1. Jake says:

So bend over and grab your ankles….

1. jackactionhero says:

So, do you feel like maybe you should have paid more attention in school?

Or were you just destined to be one of the millions who will spend their holidays serving others while the rich are enjoying champagne wishes and caviar dreams…

2. Jeremy says:

Thats part of the problem!!! People in this country think the only way to get through life is to work until you die and hope you get a bit of enjoyment in between. WAKE UP!!! We gave the corporations the power and only we can take it back and put a foot down. But I guess in this country everyone is all alone and we shouldn’t group together and stand up for our rights and values because thats just being a whiny baby.

1. Jake says:

It isn’t the EMPLOYER who is demanding the insane hours, it’s the CONSUMER, you idiot. So if you want to put the blame where it belongs, then DO IT. I am not part of the problem, but I definitely know what the solution is. My guess is that most Americans wouldn’t like my ‘solution’.

1. Jeremy says:

I just bloody said that. Watch who you are calling an idiot. I said that WE created this problem. And only WE can stop it. What happen to sundays off?? Holidays off??

One store decided to open and see if they could get some money. And guess what, obviously SOMEONE was dumb enough to go buy something. Domino effect. And now every business and corporation just keeps pushing the limit.

Kmart did the same thing with the stores they built. They consumer DEMANDED more stores. Until there were so many stores open so much of the time in so many places that NONE were making a profit and the company collapsed. My apologies but I’d like to keep and more major companies of even the country itself from collapsing from some dumb decision.

2. CC says:

It’s not about what company is open Walmart Target K Mart whoever. It’s about these businesses being open making money and their employees not having a few hours with their families. As for the Police, Hospitals and essential jobs needed for life and death. Not money.
            I work for Costco and we are not open until 9am. So It is all about the good ol dollar.
            The company has a choice as to open or not if the prices are right the CONSUMER will come and shop no matter what time it may be. My Company does fine for profits. We take care of our employees and our members to.

2. Mark says:

Wrong! I don’t work retail and I’m working on Thanksgiving and Christmas! Knew full well when I got hired 18 years ago that my profession worked 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If I wanted/needed Thanksgiving and Christmas off, I would have to find another line of work. There is no shortage of people willing to fill my position if I leave. If you want to dictate your own hours, start your own company!

3. Amanda says:

No sympathy from me….II work in healthcare and am working Thanksgiving and Christmas as well. My profession is working all hours 7 days a week. If I waned normal business hours I would find a new career and let the many other people looking for work take mine! Be thankful you have a job.

1. jackactionhero says:

Healthcare is a skilled profession.

Your comparison is not valid.

4. NH says:

Ummm … interesting that you claim Walmart is only opening because of Target. My local Walmart was open last Thanksgiving ALL DAY … and they will be again this year. Open your eyes people every retailer out there is competing for the same business … who will benefit if any large retailer fails? The people who work in retail work there because they either want to or they have to … but at least there is a pay check coming in. If big retail doesn’t compete they go under … why would anyone want higher unemployment??? If you have to work and you want to have a Thanksgiving meal with your family … have it on your day off. The day it happens shouldn’t matter … be thankfull everyday for everything you have.

17. Joan says:

No sympathy here! I work for a railroad. These people should be thankful they don’t have to be to work at 7AM Thanksgiving morning, or 3PM Thanksgiving afternoon. AND EVERY OTHER HOLIDAY AS WELL. Sheesh!

1. jackactionhero says:

They should be thankful? So it shouldn’t even be up to them?

Maybe if you had done better in school, and had attented college, you wouldn’t be b1tching and complaining about having to go to work a job that doesn’t give holidays off, eh?

Failure to plan is planning to fail, Joan, and your plan succeeded perfectly, didn’t it…
      😉 Happy Holidays

18. Jake says:

Waaaaa….WWAAaaaaaaa….. WWWAAAaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! Where is my pacifier???
    Will somebody change my diaper??? I’m hungry TOO.

19. Mike says:

If I was forced to work those long extra hours for Target at my regular hourly wage, I would chew on a clove a garlic, apply a liberal amount of garlic oil to my wrists, put a smile on my face and enjoy the holiday working………………

20. a says:

I remember a time when no stores were open on the holidays. How foolish Americans are to buy into big business consumerism. This is about nothing more than corporate greed. You can bet that the top dogs in these fortune 500 companies are not working at midnight on Thanksgiving. Stop complaining and actually do something about it. STOP SHOPPING THESE RIDICULOUS HOURS. I have not gone out shopping on Thanksgiving weekend for at least 15 years and dont plan to start now.

1. HR says:

I also remember a time when life changed and not everyone was born the same era as you. Remember that? Generations change, consumers and society changes, businesses change. Start to bridge the gap!

2. NH says:

Actually you are incorrect in your assumptions that the top dogs won’t be working. They will be up monitoring their stores, doing store visits and I have even seen them helping stock the shelves … and YES I AM TALKING ABOUT TARGET!!!

The Team Members at Target both in the stores and at Headquarters are all key in making sure that our customers are safe and that they have a good shopping experience. There will be executives in every corner of the company working on Thanksgiving evening and at 12:01 am on Friday morning and all the way thru to the end of the day Friday.

21. HR says:

It’s HOLIDAYS that’s ruining families! Not Black Friday! Thanksgiving is not a day to give thanks…you should do that everyday of your life! Gift-exchange day (aka Christmas) doesn’t need to happen on Dec 25th. Swap it the night before, or the day after! Eat thanksgiving during the lunch hour, or on Friday! Who says you need to celebrate holidays on their day?? We value OUR family sooo much that we rarely celebrate on holidays–it’s always the day before, or the day after, to ACCOMMODATE EVERYONE IN OUR FAMILY’S SCHEDULE! Sadly, if your family can’t move a date for you, they probably aren’t valuing you as much as you’re petition to get stores to move to 5 am.

22. Zathras says:

Be thankful you HAVE a job.

Maybe Target will sell some tiny violins in honor of Mr. Coleman.

23. Corinne Braun says:

Funny what people will do to make themselves feel good & like they’re hot stuff.

Hey – here’s a list of all the Mall of America stores opening at midnight- Yay!!

24. Scott Funk says:

I dunno, people. I respect the desire to work, but honestly I think family is more important than working a few extra hours. Some things are more precious than money, and having loved ones nearby on a holiday is one of them. So, I think it’s foolish and greedy to encourage places like Target, Walmart etc to open up super early on Black Friday or any other holiday.

1. Jake says:

Scott, I understand your concern, but to have Target and Walmart SINGLED OUT is really being UNFAIR. They are being singled out because they are BIG RETAILERS, but many others will be open for sales, yet none of their names are being mentioned. This is a campaign against big, retail business, and if you think it’s OK, well, more power to you, but there are a lot of good people who will be hurt badly by this campaign. The fact is, if you work for a big retailer, you have a better chance of keeping your job, and being able to weather the bad quarterly results than if you worked for a mom and pop store. So, the goal is to make the employees of BIG companies suffer as much (or MORE) than the little companies?
      How does that help our overall economic troubles??

1. jackactionhero says:

“This is a campaign against big, retail business, and if you think it’s OK, well, more power to you, but there are a lot of good people who will be hurt badly by this campaign.”

Uh, how so? Please be specific.

25. Scott W says:

They all are using the excuse that their competitor is doing it, and they need to do it.
    This is all about expanding the sale season to the max. More hours, even if it encroaches on thanksgiving.

1. Jake says:

Not a good enough explanation, especially without any relevant data. Somebody is playing some stupid game here thru the media. If you are serious, start naming names, do a wikileaks data leak, do something substantial, instead of spreading rumors that can’t be verified.

26. ez says:

Conference call time: Hello Walmart, is that you? Best Buy, TJ Max, Kmart, Khol’s Macy’s, Saks Fifth, and all you other guys, this is Target calling. Can you all push back your opening time please? I have an employee who wants to be off on Thanksgiving and I would like to help him, but I don’t want to lose any money to you guys. Do we have an agreement? Cool.
    There, now every’s happy, LOL!

1. jackactionhero says:

You idiot – He’s already off on Thanksgiving.

What was the purpose of your comment? A weak effort to be funny, except you messed it up epically?

27. madman says:

Let all retailers be open every holiday. However,they can only sell American made products-not chinese.

28. FullHouse7 says:

Black Friday = the ultimate show of greed in our country

espc. when a person got trampled and killed at a Wal-Mart last year on Black Friday.

the sales are not that great anyhow

1. Jeremy says:

100% agree. Its all about the dollar in this country. No one seems to have family values anymore and if they can’t have it their way they don’t seem to want to help change the situation when someone else tries to stand up for their family values.

2. Jake says:

Well, they must have been PRETTY GOOD, since somebody risked their LIFE, to get TRAMPLED TO DEATH, here in the good old USA. Don’t you think that you should be allowed to risk death just to buy something for the holidays here??

1. Jeremy says:

Ok, the only response I have to that comment is the people who come in for those deals are idiots. You have 365 days to do your shopping and get deals. Or you could actually just pay for an item like a normal person. Get a clue and try to enjoy life instead of saying everyone must suffer.

29. Jeremy says:

And every reason given above by those of us that are stuck working should be a reason you should support this guy and not call him a whining little baby. So just because one person is stuck working then everyone should be stuck working??? That right there is what is wrong with this country. Everybody has it in their mind that the only way to get through life is to work everyday, as hard you can, wear yourself to the put of total stressed agony and maybe when you retire you might be happy with your life.

I still hold to family values. I me seriously, as country, we beat ourselves up for taking a vacation and spending time with our families because we aren’t working and we feel bad about that, COME ON!!! Do you all think that once you have worked your ass off for 70 years everyday and burned through hundreds of holidays and vacations worrying about your job and you are a crippled old man/woman that can finally retire do you really think you are going to be happy and able to have the fun and family life you should have when you were younger?? Or are you just going to pop pain killers and heart pills wishing you had spent more time enjoying life?? Guess we can all just sit in our rocking chairs and scream at kids to get off our lawn.

30. Jake says:

Hey Jeremy, I guess that you don’t think that cops or EMTs should work on holidays, or at night, or that nursing home workers should take care of the helpless, because they need some time off, or our soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen should just lay down their arms, grab the next flight home, even against their commander’s orders, and just do whatever they want to, RIGHT?? Yeah, none of those people have ANY family values, they just enjoy being away from home during the holidays, away from their families, because they would rather be living in DIRT, half a world away from their most loved ones. Yeah, I get it. I’m so glad that you weren’t born, LIKE, 2 generations sooner. We would be speaking german, russian, or chinese by now.

1. Jeremy says:

If you bothered to read my original post then I said I understand that SOME jobs do need to work. But I do NOT understand why millions of people can’t find one of the other 364 days to find a present?? Obviously certain jobs are stuck working and in most cases, minus being in the military, seem to ask for volunteers.

All I’m saying is there has to be a line drawn. I understand that emergency services must work and so do soldiers. But as a retail worker I don’t get paid nearly as much as they do and I’m betting that not EVERY SINGLE one is working 15+ hours that day because somebody doesn’t want to spend an extra $50 or waited until 8pm on Christmas Eve to get it through their thick skull that they needed to buy a gift for their kid or wife.

1. Jake says:

So Jeremy, I find if EFFING AMAZING, that YOU can’t even give the most minimal of THANKS to those to work on holidays to help to keep you safe, to maybe even save your LIFE, or the lives of your family. HOW PATHETIC you sound. LOOK, if you don’t like your employer’s work rules/schedules, you are breaking NO LAWS by QUITTING or resigning, get it??? My guess is that there are 10 qualified people ready and WILLING to step in to TAKE OVER, and MAYBE, do a BETTER JOB.

1. Jeremy says:

Well I guess we all just found out that Jake is a prick. Apparently without even really knowing me I am not only an idiot, but I can’t do my job.

Sounds like a guy like you must have lots of friends. Oh, am I jumping to conclusions on that as you just did??

And how did I in anyway say I did NOT appreciate those who are soldiers and work in emergency services?? I have relatives that work in these areas and they take on that responsibility because it is the RIGHT thing to do and I appreciate and thank them for that sacrifice. But as you so frequently pointed out, they chose that job, if they don’t like the hours and the work then they should quit. And as you so kindly stated 10 more qualified people are ready and willing to step in, take over and do a better job.

Grow up. Stop being hypocritical and actually care about your fellow man or are you the only one that matters in this world? Oh, sorry again, being judgmental but I might as well be as it seems everyone else on here is the same way.

1. Citizen says:

@Jeremy. Do not bother to argue with Jake. He is a troll. You are right and over 100,000 people signed the petition. Target is just being used as an example of overreaching corporate greed. George Washington who proclaimed Thanksgiving a national holiday, is surely spinning in his grave right now!

1. Jake says:

No, citizen, you are the troll. I try to explain to people, if you don’t like your job, quit and find a different one that suits your needs better. To publicly try to embarass your employer thru a petition or whining on the internet is immature and self-centered, and if your employer finds out, your chances of moving up the ladder are seriously compromised. Don’t like retail? Don’t work retail, or try to form a union so your union can negotiate a different work schedule, or better pay if you have to work on or next to a holiday. That’s how the system works. The reality is, is that on most holidays, a lot of people are traveling, lodging, run into trouble, and yes, some actually like to shop (but I am not one of them). Some don’t like to cook a big meal and would rather go to a place to be served. Isn’t freedom a great thing?

31. Jan says:

My answer to Black Friday is NOT shopping that day. Who wants to be in that mess? Unfortunately, people who work retail know this is part of the job. My husband worked many a
    Christmas day when he worked for Walgreens.

1. Jeremy says:

I agree. You couldn’t pay me enough to go shopping that day, or most of that weekend.

32. Jayme Bougie says:

the blame seems to be target but just about every other store is going to be open at midnight to these stores are trying to make money during a hard time in the economy
    i have a friend that works for target and i was told by him that most of the employees that are working are doing so voluntartarilyso if this guy does not
    like working for target then get a new job
    he should be thankfull he has a job because there are a lot of people who don’t

plus i guess he never thought about all the people who work the holidays like at hospitals and police and fire so he can be safe having his feast

1. jackactionhero says:

You cannot compare a tag scanner at Target to a skilled professional. It makes you sound stupid.

33. bart says:

If you don’t like the hours, quit. No one forced you to have that job. Go find something else. Buck up, sally.

34. Nicole S. says:

when you work in retail you should expect to work long hours around thankgiving an black friday. I work in a hospital, there for I know i will be working ALL DAY thanksgiving but i dont go around making a big fuss about it and starting a petition. Be thankful you have a job!

35. Jeremy says:

Yep, all of retail workers that want to stand up for our rights will quit. We can join the millions of others unemployed and hope we can find a job before we run out of money. Thats a smart life decision there.

And if all the retail workers that I work with actually acted on our feelings and your advice then our store, along with probably thousands of others would just have to close down. Big help there on that advice…………

1. Jake says:

Then….just QUIT, because you are a QUITTER. That’s part of the problem in this country….TOO MANY QUITTERS, who SQUAT TO PEE. If this current generation were alive in 1942, we would all be speaking german, russian, or spanish by now,
      or maybe even CHINESE, and our Constitution, Bill of Rights, and Declaration of Independence would be reproduced as toilet paper by now, and the first place that you would see them would be in STATE owned office buildings.

36. Jeremy says:

So because I want to stand up for my rights that makes me a quitter? And if I’m thinking about that right then I think standing up for my rights would have resulted in the country being just the way it is the respect of language and such matters you mentioned.

And mind you, if I took your stance I better never hear you complain about ANYTHING EVER. Because you are just a whiner too then. You don’t like how people drive? YOU don’t need to drive. YOU don’t like the weather here then you don’t need to live here. YOU don’t like that a guy can set up a petition in this country, stand up for his rights and do the RIGHT thing then you don’t need to live here.

37. Addison says:

Jeremy, you talk about standing up for your rights, but what you’re failing to see is that when you accepted your job, it was, more than likely, with the understanding that you didn’t make the schedule. So by putting you on the schedule to work any given day of the week, the employer has not violated your rights unless you specified prior to accepting employment that you would not work certain days.
    It’s almost insane to see retail workers complaining about the hours and/or days they have to work when they knew, prior to accepting the job,the work hours would probably not be ideal. That’s the entire premise of retail. The stores are open as much as possible to get as much business as possible. To do that, they have to have workers. YOU must have understood that when you took the job.

This is why most of us are completely befuddled at the complaints now. It wasn’t like you were forced to take the job. You’re not being forced to keep the job, but if you do, you keep it with the understanding that the employer makes the rules not you.

1. jackactionhero says:

And the employer makes the rules without considering human impact. I’m thankful that my employer makes sure its employees have an appropriate work/life balance, because what a lot of you are suggesting is that they shouldn’t care about the workers, only their bottom line. That is a huge mistake in judgment.

38. Max says:

What is wrong with consumers? We are in a recession but you want to run out and buy things in the middle of the night?! The deals can’t be that great. Not enough to make it worth taking time away from family and friends or sleep. We need people to stop and think about what is really important – we don’t need so much stuff. We really don’t.

39. c says:

I work retail and I know that my hours are not ideal but when you open your door in the name of money on a National Holiday.It has only been a few years that this has been happening. Also when people are injured and the numerous times people have actually lost their lives it has gone too far.
    Don’t confuse two different things
    1: the hard times we live in and the few jobs that are available
    2: Theses companies are just trying to get your money.

Businesses do not need to be open on Thanksgiving or any other Holiday.
    WE need to take the few days that “WE/US AS WORKERS” to rest. America is the hardest working people in the world and also the most troubled for all the luxuries we have and do not appreciate

40. Jake says:

If I were Seth Coleman, I’d be sending out hundreds of resumes, because I seriously doubt that he will be employed at Target much longer. Publicly embarassing your employer is NOT the way to keep a job or further your career.
    There is a saying, “Don’t bite the hand that feeds you.”. There are probably 100 or more people out there, licking their chops to take your place, Seth, and maybe do a better job, TOO.

1. ROBERT says:

retail is retail , deal with it !!!!!!

41. Citizen says:

Philosophically, this proposal by Mr. Gingrich is in the same as those comments above that think retail should be open 24/7. The Dismal Political Economist in today’s blog:
    “Politico reports that Mr. Gingrich wants to repeal child labor laws, fire school janitors and give the job of cleaning and maintaining schools to the children who go there (the poor children of course, not the children of folks like Mr. Gingrich and his pals).

First of all Mr. Gingrich doesn’t like school janitors, because in his world they are all union members

“Most of these schools ought to get rid of the unionized janitors, have one master janitor and pay local students to take care of the school. The kids would actually do work, they would have cash, they would have pride in the schools, they’d begin the process of rising.”

See for Mr. Gingrich, who apparently channels 19th century Conservatives those terrible child labor laws are a major problem and cause poverty

You go out and talk to people, as I do, you go out and talk to people who are really successful in one generation. They all started their first job between nine and 14 years of age. They all were either selling newspapers, going door to door, they were doing something, they were washing cars.”

Selling newspapers, going door to door, that’s the cure for youth poverty? Is there any way to bring Mr. Gingrich back into this galaxy.

And just in case no one really understands what Mr. Gingrich means, here he makes it about as clear as it can be.

“Core policies of protecting unionization and bureaucratization against children in the poorest neighborhoods, crippling them by putting them in schools that fail has done more to create income inequality in the United States than any other single policy. It is tragic what we do in the poorest neighborhoods, entrapping children in, first of all, child laws, which are truly stupid.

So all that income inequality that has been plaguing the U.S., all that poverty that has been growing, all the problems can be traced back to unionization of school janitors and the child labor laws.

That Mr. Gingrich says these things reflects upon his character and intelligence, or lack thereof. That Mr. Gingrich is now considered a serious contender for the Republican nomination reflects upon the character and intelligence of Republican voters. And not in a good way.”

42. Diane Anon says:

While I agree that when an employee takes a job, he or she must comply with what the employer wants you to do. He should be thankful that he has a job. However, the man has made me think about a deeper issue. Thanksgiving is a day to celebrate what we are thankful for. The day is followed by Black Friday. Black Friday symbolizes a day to not be thankful for what we have (and to focus on materialism). I do understand where the employee is coming from . I do not believe in Black Friday. Black Friday makes people save money and economists have said that consumers do not save money. Psychologists say that most people go to Black Friday for the thrill of it (when they don’t realize it. It’s like the strongest shall survive theory). Black Friday to me means a bunch of desperate/cranky/tired/greedy people. Should we replace Black Friday with Thanksgiving? No!

43. Citizen says:

@Diane. “While I agree that when an employee takes a job, he or she must comply with what the employer wants you to do.” Really? So that means you will perform illegal acts because you are asked to? Thanksgiving is a national holiday dedicated in 1789 by George Washington. It was meant to be a day of thanks and reflection on our great nation. Our corporatist masters no longer care about the U.S. They have no loyalty to any country except for how much money can be made from it. As we fail to honor and remember our national holidays and thus our national honor and pride, we become barbaric, as far as I’m concerned. I surely don’t understand your final sentence of, “Should we replace Black Friday with Thanksgiving?”

1. Diane says:

Citizen,

I strongly suggest that you read again what I had written. I don’t even know what side you are on. As far as“While I agree that when an employee takes a job, he or she must comply with what the employer wants you to do.” Of course, it means what can be done legally. Most people who read the paper are intelligent. Why does common sense need to be “dumbed down”? I wrote everything very clearly. What I mean by, “Should we replace Black Friday with Thanksgiving?” was purely satirical. Of course Thanksgiving should not be replaced. However, it looks like corporate greed wouldn’t mind if that were to happen. Christmas is more important than Thanksgiving when it comes to making money in retail.

1. Citizen says:

@Diane. I strongly suggest that you write more clearly. And, employees do not have to agree and do what their employer asks for, even if it is “legal.” Remember the “whistleblower” who outed Bernie Madoff long before the government finally prosecuted him? That guy suffered some serious career setbacks. Should he have not spoken up because of that. The Nuremberg Trials said that obeying orders is not justification for acts that are later illegal. I am arguing a much higher standard here, that is true, but we all need to be cognizant of what we are asked to perform in the name of a job. If you’ve read my posts, you should know which side I’m on.

44. Citizen says:

The best way to protest all the stores (WalMart, K-Mart, Target, et al.) that are open so early on Black Friday is to just STAY AWAY. Go shop the locally owned merchants in your community, shop the smaller stores, shop Costco who is a good corporate citizen. Boycott the commercialism and the hijacking of the Thanksgiving holiday with your pocket books. Withhold your shopping dollars–I am. And I request that law enforcement personnel enforce this new Hennepin County ban on camping out to include people who camp out at stores and sporting events. Fair is fair, after all.

45. jackactionhero says:

The overweight housewives standing in line and then pushing and shoving each other like spoiled children to get the last Cabbage Patch Doll, Tickle-Me Elmo or copy of MW3 on the shelves is the reason we have the situation we have here.

1. Citizen says:

@jack. Precisely! Reminiscent of hyenas at a kill…..

46. tiegang says:

You can always find another family but not another job.

Now get back to work slaves!

47. Diane says:

How about putting our priorities back in order? Boycott Black Friday so that employers will not want to be as pushy about having employees work on Black Friday. We could boycott these stores for not stocking “Made in the USA” products. Buy American! End Corporate Greed! Be Thankful for What You Have for it May Not Be There Tomorrow!

1. NH says:

What about the tens of thousands of seasonal workers who have intentially signed up to do this kind of work over the holiday season? Everyone keeps assuming that people are being FORCED to work … but that number is much smaller than the amount who are there willingly and appreciatively. The opportunity to earn a living on any given day should not be dictated to by the ones who do not wish to on any particular day.

Additionally folks should pay attention to the fact that upwards of 30% of people who are hired on as seasonal end up staying on with full time employment after the holidays.

If you don’t want to shop … then stay home … but let those who are happy to be earning a living or spending their money do what they wish to do.

48. NH says:

Perhaps what everyone would prefer is to have the Federal Government pass a law that says that ALL (and I mean ALL) business must close on all Federal holidays?? That would mean no grocery stores, or gas stations or drug stores or Mom & Pop Shops or Big Retail. No one would be allowed to be open unless they were required as an essential service (like hospitals and ambulances).

I would suggest that all this complaining be directed at a group that has the power to enact the change that you are all asking for.

Demanding that each retailer lock their doors and lose the business to another competitor who won’t is like banging your head on a wall. Why would any good business that is trying to stay in business and remain profitable and competitive intentionally put themselves at such a huge disadvantage??

So if you all really want to stay home and spend time with your family … then petition the government to do something about it … across the board in a one size fits all approach. I am guessing though that the same people that are compaining are also the same ones that don’t want the government to have any additional say in how they live their lives … funny isn’t it???

1. Citizen says:

You are missing the point, NH. It is a national holiday to give thanks, but not just about family also about the founding of America. I guess celebrating our great country has to take second fiddle to corporate retail greed…..

1. NH says:

That is exactly my point. If it is a NATIONAL holiday then why doesn’t the government enforce that no business should be allowed to open?

Other countries have laws in place that prevent companies with more than a specificied number of employees to be open during a national holiday. If the business opens they are fined and fined heavily. They also protect workers from retribution if the company tries to fire them or demote them or otherwise punish them for not working on a national holiday.

My point is … complain to the people who can make the change … and in the USA that would be the Federal government.

On a side note … the countries who have had these laws around for a long time have actually found that the people, the workers, the shoppers have all petitioned to remove the laws so they can earn a living and shop when they want.

49. JayD says:

I think most of you miss the point. According to CEO Cameron “…given the competitive nature of the retail industry, the stores will open at midnight on Thanksgiving night.” Competitive nature simply means hoards of idiots who like to shop whenever they feel like it, even if it inconveniences others. The CEO surely won’t be working those ridiculous hours to service the idiots, but he will surely inconvenience his workers just to stay “competitive”. Idiots, you have Thanksgiving off, why are you forcing someone else work? Stay home and read a book…if you can.