Local

Homeless Man Killed In Mpls. House Fire

View Comments
(credit: CBS)

(credit: CBS)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up
Today's Most Popular Video
  1. 4 Things To Know For Oct. 22, 2014
  2. Target Offering Free Shipping Through December
  3. St. Paul Woman May Have Been Serial Killer Victim
  4. After Airbag Recall, Consumers Still Looking For Answers
  5. Group Pushes For Halal Food Shelf

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – Officials with the Minneapolis Fire Department said Thursday that a homeless man trying to stay warm by building a fire inside a vacant house died from that fire.

Authorities were called to the home on the 1400 block of Barnes Avenue early Wednesday morning on a report of a fire. When they arrived, they found the victim unconscious and pulled him out. He received treatment, but later died.

Officials said Thursday the man died from carbon monoxide poisoning. The man built a fire on the floor of a bedroom in the house and was overcome with carbon monoxide before the fire grew out of control. The fire weakened the floor, causing two firefighters at the scene to be injured by falling through the floor while battling the blaze.

City inspectors had been checking on the home in recent months since it was vacant. It had been secure since last March, when it was put on the city’s list for vacant building registration.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,906 other followers