Homeless Man Killed In Mpls. House Fire

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – Officials with the Minneapolis Fire Department said Thursday that a homeless man trying to stay warm by building a fire inside a vacant house died from that fire.

Authorities were called to the home on the 1400 block of Barnes Avenue early Wednesday morning on a report of a fire. When they arrived, they found the victim unconscious and pulled him out. He received treatment, but later died.

Officials said Thursday the man died from carbon monoxide poisoning. The man built a fire on the floor of a bedroom in the house and was overcome with carbon monoxide before the fire grew out of control. The fire weakened the floor, causing two firefighters at the scene to be injured by falling through the floor while battling the blaze.

City inspectors had been checking on the home in recent months since it was vacant. It had been secure since last March, when it was put on the city’s list for vacant building registration.

Comments

One Comment

  1. Mad Dog says:

    The guy sounds like an idiot. What kind of fool builds a fire inside of a house that’s not in a fire place?

    1. usuk says:

      You sound like an idiot. What kind of fool does the things that you do?

      1. Mad Dog says:

        So you think it’s smart to start a fire insdie of a house with no fire place. You must be from south of the Mason-Dixon line.

  2. Taylor J says:

    I like the headlines, but isn’t it an oxymoron? lol @ the headlines.. sad for the guy tho😦

  3. Kevin says:

    I do work with the Salvation Army from time to time. You would be amazed at how many are homeless now. Shelters fill fast, and in the winter it is brutal. God Bless this person….and their family. oh and his friends…..

  4. g8bbgg says:

    Was this one of the Pee Party (OWS) idiots? No wonder they cannot get a job!!!

  5. Sad says:

    May he rest in peace.

  6. Evil2Hope says:

    He needlessly endangered not only his life but others with the selfish actions he committed up to this point. God rest his soul.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From WCCO | CBS Minnesota

The Leaderboard
Good Question

Listen Live