Hockey Coach, Parent Accuse Referee Of Hurting Player

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A hockey team wants answers after they say a referee went way too far.

Scott didn’t want us to use his last name to protect his son’s identity. His 14-year-old son ended up with a concussion from hitting his head on the ice.

Before any game, some hockey parents may admit to worrying about their players. None would imagine for a reason like this.

Saturday afternoon, a Minneapolis Storm Bantum team played a game at the Blake Ice Arena. Tied with five minutes to go, the goalie froze the puck and players started pushing. Two were given penalties. While one player waited to get in the box, people watching said the referee went after Scott’s unsuspecting son.

Scott said the ref pushed up his arm like a football block.

“It looked to me like he got hit right under the chin,” Scott said.

His son fell to the ice and hit the back of his head on the ice.

“I was yelling ‘You just hurt my kid,'” Scott said. “The linesman who had knocked him over and the other linesman were standing there — they weren’t doing anything.”

Ben Anderson is the head coach of the Bantum B-1 Storm. He said he’s never seen anything like that happen between his playing days and being involved in the sport as a coach.

Anderson was concerned for the rest of his team’s safety and he said he wanted the game to stop. He told the referees he would let his players back on the ice if that linesman left the game.

They refused and issued instead what’s called a match penalty basically removing Anderson from coaching until a formal forum hears his side.

“Ultimately, being suspended is the ultimate penalty because I don’t get to do what I love to do,” Anderson said.

Scott’s son has a concussion and will miss at least a few weeks. While Scott believes in respecting referees, he said they still have to play by the rules.

“I’d like them to be suspended just like our coach was suspended. I’d like them to not take the ice the way my son can’t take the ice,” Scott said.

It is difficult to go after a referee since they’re considered the ruling power in hockey. The team will file a grievance against the referee, that way he’ll be up for a disciplinary hearing. We’ve learned all of the referees involved in that game on Saturday were high ranking officials with a referee’s association.

A spokesperson told WCCO-TV they wouldn’t comment on the incident. As for the coach, Ben Anderson said his hearing is scheduled for Sunday.

More from Liz Collin

More From WCCO | CBS Minnesota

Goin' To The Lake
The Leaderboard
Best Pride Events

Listen Live