Pregnant Woman With Shotgun Thwarts Burglars

COON RAPIDS, Minn. (WCCO) — It’s the last thing two burglary suspects expected to hear when they broke into a Coon Rapids home. From within the house came the unmistakable sound of a pump shotgun. At the other end of that gun was a 22-year-old woman who is nine weeks pregnant.

The young woman asked not to be identified because the two suspects are still at large. However, she says when the men ignored her barking pit bull and black lab, and broke through a kitchen door, she had no other choice but to chamber a round into the 12-gauge shotgun.

There’s perhaps no other sound that commands as much respect and fear. The young woman at the business end of that gun was home alone and prepared to protect herself.

It all happened in broad daylight on Monday afternoon. That’s when the first man walked up to her kitchen door and began pounding and ringing the doorbell. He was clearly checking to see if anyone was home.

The woman recalls, “He started ringing the doorbell, probably 50 times, fast — ding, ding, ding, ding!”

The woman, who is nine weeks pregnant, was feeling sick and was in her bed. Not expecting anyone to visit, she called her boyfriend and then phoned police.

“About three minutes later, my dogs started barking again and I looked out the window and now there are two guys standing outside my home,” the woman recalled.

Within mere seconds, she heard the loud “bang” of the kitchen door being kicked open. With footsteps coming her way, she quietly stepped upstairs.

“So then I hustled up the stairs to grab our gun, and I came down and I loaded it and cocked it,” said the homeowner.

With a single pump of her 12-gauge shotgun, the would-be burglars bolted out the door and through the backyard.

“Yes, a shotgun racking is something you don’t forget if you’ve ever heard one. So, it frightened these two suspects off right away, they took off running,” said Coon Rapids Police Captain John Hattstrom.

They ran across the backyard and into a nearby church parking lot where they were seen getting into a two-door, newer model automobile. But they didn’t escape without notice. The woman was able to get a long look at the two and provided police with a description.

A police sketch of one of the men shows him wearing a slight beard and wearing a dark cap. He is described as in his mid-20s, about 5’8″ to 5’10” tall and weighing around 160 pounds. He was wearing a tan-color Carhartt-style jacket with a fur-like collar, dark jeans and possibly dark work boots.

The other suspect is also a white male in his mid-20s and about 6’0″ tall. He was also unshaven and wearing a black or dark blue Carhartt-style jacket.

They were brazen would-be burglars who met their match, with a convincing sound.

“I’m pregnant and I wasn’t about to go down with nothing, with two men double my size and me here,” said the young woman.

Anyone with information is asked to call Coon Rapids Police at 763-767-6481 or after-hours at 763-427-1212.

A reward of up to $500 is being offered for information that leads to the men’s arrests.

More from Bill Hudson
Comments

1. Archie says:

Wish she would’ve had a chance to kill them, I like dead criminals!!! Good story with happy ending!!

2. Swamp Fox says:

Nothing like the sound of a 12-gauge pump cycling a round that puts the fear of God into would be bandits. Also, this woman was using her Constitutional 2nd Amendment rights–the right to bear arms–to practical use. Too bad the brigands fled.

Let’s hope the local constabulary get these guys before some other citizen actually puts his/her 12ga to good use. Don’t you love a story where the good citizens win?

1. jean says:

yes yes yes, she rocks!

3. redwiser says:

People are tired of being victims. HELL YEAH POWER TO THE PEOPLE. TAKE THE F STICKS OUT! F WITH ME AND YOU WILL DIE.

To the chitheads out there, you time is limited on this earth, you can punch the time clock of life early if you choose!

GO F YOURSELVES THUGS

4. oatka says:

OK, it didn’t happen to me, but IMO a shotgun would be more effective if kept with a shell in the chamber and the safety on.

The way I see it, muzzle flash is appropriate warning to burglar(s).

1. jackactionhero says:

If you feel the need to keep a loaded shotgun in your home, you may wish to consider relocation.

1. Noodles says:

If you really think that, maybe you’d be willing to pay her rent in a nice gated community. Maybe crime happens even in nice neighborhoods, too.

Not mine, Noodles.

I frequently come home to discover that I never locked any of my doors when I left for work. We leave our cars unlocked in the driveway, and have our bicycles out on the front patio overnight often. Oddly, nothing ever gets taken.

Must be just in your neighborhood, eh?

1. Noodles says:

Nope. Pretty quiet neighborhood here, too. Almost as quiet as it was in Iowa, except for that one time when someone let themselves into our unlocked house and stole a bunch of things. As it turns out, leaving your doors unlocked is stupid, regardless of where you’re at. Probably not something you should tell other people about, either.

But hey, not my house, not my possessions, keep them as secure or unsecured as you’d like. I’ll do the same with my both my property and my life. Because like they always say, you’ll probably never need a gun, but if you do, you’re bound to need it very, very badly.

2. LauraSwany says:

Nice comment Jack! I was thinking the exact same thing 🙂

2. Allen E. Booth says:

I personally think it’s unsafe to store ammo inside a firearm. The ammo should only be inside the firearm when you are going to use it or think you might have to. That said, I see nothing wrong with keeping the ammo where you can get to it in a hurry and chambering a round or two when you need it.

1. jackactionhero says:

That is a much safer route to go than to leave a round with the firing pin against the primer.

1. River says:

If the shotgun magazine is loaded, there won’t be a round with the “firing pin against the primer”, and that shouldn’t happen to any functional shotgun even if it’s in the chamber.

2. Noodles says:

If you’ve got a round in the magazine, the firing pin will not contact the primer, there’s no reasonable situation where it would. If you’ve got a round in the chamber of any shotgun I know of, the firing pin still won’t be able to contact the primer until the safety is taken off and the trigger is pulled. That she had racked the slide is evidence enough to suggest that, up until she perceived a threat, that the chamber was clear, which is quite safe; guns are incapable of firing with an empty chamber.

3. Curt58 says:

Not a good idea to keep a round in the chamber of a shotgun unless it’s a hanered fired shotgun.
      One, the spring that does make s it go bang can weaken stored this way and it is too easy to accidently fire the weapon.
      Two, Shotguns are not designed to be stored this way unlike some handguns.
      Maybe you should look into a DOA (double action only) handguns or revolver type handguns if you want a total stealth firearm.
      I assure you most Bad Guys know the sound of a Shotgun being RACKED!!
      Only a drugged out fool would hang around once they hear that sound.
      Three, it gives you a chance to send a message before you have to take al life.It only takes a second for a shotgun to be prepared to go BANG.
      Four, it may give you a warning should you have a young child in the house that they might be playing with your self defense tool.
      Teach Children that Loaded weapons are not toys. Take the nystery out of it and they will learn to respect guns. I taught my children that guns are dangerous and need to be respected. Never had an issue with them touching my guns without permission and guidance!
      Guns are tools, just like fire extinguishers. Handy to have when you need them.
      Because without them you could lose everything.
      And I taught my children how to use my fire extinguishers too!

5. Allen says:

If Obama gets re-elected she will be in a much worse situation in the future. think about it before the charleton fools us again.!

1. Huh? says:

And how exactly would Obama’s reelection put this woman in a much worse situation?

Any facts about that you might want to share?

Or should we just figure your opinion’s good enough?

1. Thomas says:

Because Obama is clearly anti 2nd amendment or anything else to do with the constitution for that matter.

1. And so says:

you have something to back this up? Other than your opinion, I mean.

Didn’t think so. So much easier to flap yer yap like this.

1. Iowa Man says:

It’s called Operation Fast and Furious. Will that work for you? But I’m sure you’re either unaware of this or have little or no knowledge of the motive behind it.

1. Jim says:

The old “Obama is coming for our guns” meme is lame and preposterous. No one is falling for it.

1. Noodles says:

He seems to have himself convinced.

2. ponyneck says:

Not true.. He actually showed up at my door just the other day & took my guns. Up until then I just thought it was a bunch of GOP propaganda. Turns out it’s not. Was alright though, He posed for a pic & signed a bunch of stuff. Wasn’t a total loss

1. LauraSwany says:

LMAO! Awesome retort!

2. Pat says:

Fast and Furious, has nothing to do with your rights to own a gun. It was a failed backfired mission by this government to try and stop gang violence in Mexico and here. Please do more history checking before you comment on something. Besides Obama wasn’t the only President to do this type of mission. I am not a Obama fan, but don’t blame him for something that has been done before him.

1. Rae Ann Pointer says:

Sure it does. If the goal had been to “stop gang violence in Mexico and here” the BATFE agents in charge would not have given the order for their field agents to CEASE pursuit of the straw buyers. In a couple of cases the Field Agents that blew the whistle on F and F even followed straw buyers ON THEIR OWN and against orders. I would suggest you follow your own advice and do more history checking before you comment on something you apparently don’t know much about. Suggestion, don’t rely on only one source of media for your “facts”.

3. Rae Ann Pointer says:

LIke you said Iowa Man, they are either unaware or have little or no knowledge of the motive behind it.

6. oatka says:

How much of a hero would she have been – risking her unborn child for material goods?

Typical liberal hogwash. What you are asking this woman to do is expect mercy from the merciless and be totally dependent upon their whim. What if they wanted a little “fun” besides all the material goods?

If you are married, or have a girlfriend, I hope you don’t infect her with your foolishness.

1. Aaron says:

no need to turn it into a political statement. Her thought is valid and her own opinion I’m an AK carrying liberal and proud of it… and i’m proud to live in a country where a woman can protect herself with a gun while another can question it…. Also this country allows you to call it “liberal hogwash” even though you are fully wrong to infer that persons simple “what if” statement into political BS…

7. TL the alligator says:

yo swampfox….on the contrary, lets hope another citizen DOES confront them again only this time they get shot and are permanently out of commision……THAT would be the best case scenario…..and to G Dog, your question is that of an imbecile….and nobody is calling her a hero either.

8. Dude!! says:

I’m a liberal and I’m all for it. If it’d been me there wouldn’t have been two guys running out my back door.

Don’t lump us all together like that.

9. Bunny says:

If men target a house, ignoring big dogs, and break in knowing that there is a woman inside, do you really believe that they are going to simply rob the woman, then politely leave?

Because common sense and human nature say otherwise.

Why do you think women shouldn’t defend themselves against rapists, thieves and murderers?

Should women submit to torture and violent death so that criminals can look back later and laugh?

Why does that make sense to you?

10. Sam I am says:

OMG you can’t possibly be serious, she was protecting HERSELF and unborn child you liberal POS moron.

In case you forgot you have the right to defend yourself.

11. bill says:

Oh couse the cops didnt catch the guys, they are too busy locking up occupy minnesota people!!!!!!!

1. rich says:

She lives in Coon Rapids dumb a**, still its too bad she didnt blow them both away and rid us of the dirtbags

12. bill says:

whos side are you on anyway

13. DeeDee says:

You know what… people are tired of thugs running the show. That young woman was at home minding her own business and two useless f’s break in her home.. if they had that much time to be robbing people, they should have been out job hunting or trying to go to school and learn something. She protected her home- exactly what she had the right to do. This mess happened in broad daylight.. if she hadn’t had that gun, no tellling what else those men would have done. If they didn’t have respect for her home you know dang well that they wouldn’t have had respect for this woman nor her unborn child. You go, girl and make sure to keep the bullets handy.

14. stung4ever says:

Remember, the police are only minutes away.

When your life can be taken away in a few seconds.

1. Guy says:

If its the Coon Rapids PD – make that about a half-hour away.

Thats the usual response time for them.

15. rich says:

I will rely on my guns before relying on the cops being “minutes away

16. GCN says:

You’re an idiot. Where did you hear this? Check your facts.

17. Jake says:

When you load that gauge, make sure it has at least #4 BUCKSHOT loads in them, so they will do the MOST GOOD. No, they don’t have to be MAGNUMS, just make sure that they aren’t birdshot, that they are #4 buckshot. That means that some neighborhood ‘doctor’ can’t take care of them, that they will need a REAL DOCTOR, so there will be some sort of official record as to their ‘care’.

1. jackactionhero says:

At the range we’re talking about – in a home – it doesn’t matter what load you fire from a 12 guage. A BB load would tear a person to bits from 3 yards away.

1. Noodles says:

Don’t count on it. If you’re willing to look, there’s pictures out there showing people who’ve been shot, point blank, with birdshot. The wounds are brutal but mostly superficial. There was a story of someone who was shot three times at close range with BB shot during a carjacking, including one to the forehead, who survived without severe injuries.

1. jackactionhero says:

Ok, well I’ve shot BB load 12 guage rounds through dead trees in the woods like they were going through paper, but ballistics are very subjective.

In any case, I’d be willing to wager that if a woman shot two dipstick whities in their 20s with bird shot that they’d go down one way or another.

1. Jake says:

At 15-20 feet, a 12 gauge with #4 buckshot will go through a 2″ thick solid wood door like a blowtorch thru butter. The hole will be about 9-12″ in diameter. That means that you can shoot thru walls if you have to, to get the perp. Dead perps tell no lies.

18. Jake says:

I shoot a 12 GAUGE that shoots either pump OR semi auto, and can blast through anything smaller than an army apc. You can kick my doors down, but, even with armored vests, you will have a slim chance against my shotgun. The shotgun has been a primary military weapon since WWI. Resist it at your own risk.

19. ArmsVault.com says:

If they anti-gun people had it their way, this story could have a much different ending.

20. Jake says:

gdog, u must be one of the most stupid beings still living on the planet that God ever created. For real?? “What if the burglar had shot her in the stomach and killed her and her unborn child??” FOR REAL?? WELL gdog, it would have been like DOUBLE PREMEDITATED MURDER, you IDIOT. Exactly WHAT ELSE COULD YOU CALL IT?? A date gone BAD?? When will you ever grow a BRAIN??

21. lassywalker says:

The woman did right . The men did wrong.

22. Jake says:

gdog, I tried to explain it better, but wdfl wouldn’t let me, so let me be brief:
    You are a COMPLETE IDIOT.

23. River says:

Yeah, she ought to have jumped out the second story window, risking grievous injury to her and her child, and hope they don’t catch her.

Anyways, you’re wrong. MN has no duty to retreat from one’s own abode, or during the commission of a felony, before using deadly force.

24. Mark Legerski says:

Great Story. I just wondering if the shell she ejected and latter chambered were live rounds in the clip. Live or empty shell not a very bright idea for a sound effect.

1. jackactionhero says:

The clip? Have you ever handled a firearm?

25. Roy says:

Me thinks she had a chicken shi pit bull if all he did was bark. A good pit bull would have had his teeth in the guy and he wouldn’t have run

26. ez says:

You ass, the law says the only place you don’t have to flee from is your HOME!!!
    Don’t believe me? Here is the proof:
    609.065 JUSTIFIABLE TAKING OF LIFE.

The intentional taking of the life of another is not authorized by section 609.06, except when necessary in resisting or preventing an offense which the actor reasonably believes exposes the actor or another to great bodily harm or death, or preventing the commission of a felony in the actor’s place of abode.

She did everything right, she called the police and defended herself. The only thing that she didn’t do right was letting them leave without being in a body bag. People like you need to shut up and learn before you start talking.

27. ez says:

She was defending her own life you jerk. She was in her house which is the one place in the world where you are supposed to be safe. If someone tries to take away that safety you are authorized by law to use deadly force to defend it. What did you want her to do, wait in the house to be killed?
    Just asking……

28. arcy says:

I applaud her, but still am wondering if a flushing toilet wouldn’t have had the same effect on the men. They ran because of a gun or because they found out someone was home?

1. desert eagle .50 says:

Guess I’ll have to turn in my firearm carry permit and get a permit to carry a toilet. Probably weighs less than the DE .50 though.

1. jackactionhero says:

I’d be willing to wager that you can’t hit a GD thing with that DE50. Those things aren’t handguns. They’re arm cannons. They’re totally pointless as far as hand guns go, unless you’re a collector and just want the biggest baddest handgun around.

1. desert eagle .50 says:

Oh, now you’re a firearms expert, along with all your other credentials? Actually, bozo, the DE .50 is reasonably accurate with proper operator training. It’s not the “biggest, baddest” handgun around either, Captain Coprophagia. That honor might go to the BFR 45-70. Even the BFR .50 AW has more recoil than the DE.

1. jackactionhero says:

No, I’m no expert, but I can tell you that the DE 50 is not very accurate, trained or otherwise.

I’ll outshoot you with my 9 or .38 any day of the week and twice on Saturday if you’re throwing lead with a DE50.

1. Noodles says:

The Desert Eagle was actually designed as a target pistol for silhouette shooting. Those nifty little slots on top and distinctive shape of the barrel are for mounting a pistol scope. The use a fixed barrel and are gas operated with low reciprocating mass. They are designed from the ground up to be accurate, first and foremost. If you’ve shot one and it’s not accurate, it’s not the pistol’s fault.

1. jackactionhero says:

Are you trying to tell me you can put 10 rounds out of a DE50 within 3″ at 25 yards, because I have a hard time believing that, but maybe you’re just THAT GOOD.

1. Josh says:

Not without reloading, cause it only holds 7.

2. Noodles says:

Can’t say I’ve ever tried the .50 AE, but my buddy’s .357 Desert Eagle could do it if you did your part. Pretty easy from a rest.

29. judy ellers says:

Really people Get real Woman here! She did the right thing. Don’t eff with a MOTHER! I would do ANYTHING for my children. Most men wait until “something” happens THEN take action. Like I said Don’t eff with a mama1

30. dood says:

The writer of this story should do a little thinking of which side of the shotgun is the “business” end. The lady wasn’t pointing it at herself!

1. jackactionhero says:

I thought the same thing…

2. Allen E. Booth says:

A recommendation to the writer of this story on what’s the “business” end of a firearm: From now on, just describe someone who finds himself at risk of being shot as being on “the wrong end” of the firearm. Also, if a man points a firearm at you, he might be bluffing. If a woman points a firearm at you, assume that she knows how to use it and is willing to do so.

31. Jay says:

Those SOB’s had no idea they might be dealing with a female or a male, all they heard was the distinct sound of the loading of the shotgun. Excellent thinking on this womans part to forewarn them if that was her intention. I applaud you.

32. good for her says:

I am gonna buy a shotgun now.

33. em0886 says:

You can’t even be close to serious!!! If you are…you are the biggest moron that ever existed!!! The law is actually in the castle doctrine and states that you are within your rights to protect your home and especially if you are in imminent danger…clearly she was in danger and protecting her and her baby!! Anyone that screams gun control is an absolute waste of space….we will see how you feel when someone is breaking into your home…the one place you are supposed to be entirely safe, and then let’s see if you are into the whole fleeing idea…I would think not but then again that’s if you have the ability to think!!

1. jackactionhero says:

She doesn’t have a baby. She’s 9 weeks pregnant by her boyfriend. She isn’t even showing yet.

34. anonymous says:

Something to be said for the second ammendment. Amen

35. Al Schwarting says:

The only thing this woman did wrong was she did NOT pull the trigger. Take out a knee cap then these idiots will have time to think about the stupid a$$ decision they made every time they try to stand up. It’s the gun control freeks that would be pulling the lawsuit game if something would have happened to her because the police didn’t show up in time. WAY TO GO GIRL!!!!!!!

1. CCW38Laura says:

Having taken a self-defense handgun class, my instructor would take you to task for your statement: Take out a knee cap then these idiots will have time to think about the stupid a$$ decision they made every time they try to stand up.
      Nope…shoot to kill, aim for chest, which gives the best & most target area.

I’m prepared.

Bunny:
      ‘break in knowing that there is a woman inside’….The perps DID NOT know she was inside. They did the classic “ring the doorbell, no one inside, it’s time to break in” routine. The lady was in bed with morning sickness.

36. Johnny B Goode says:

Ever heard of ‘don’t mess with Texas?’ The same is true for Anoka Co., think about it!

37. Swamp Fox says:

Hey, news fans, they they police ever catch the perp’s? With all this gun chatter we seem to forget the yahoos who started this mess. What’s up?

38. G dawg says:

Send G dog back to …somewhere!!! anywhere but here

1. Allen E. Booth says:

Send gdog all the way back to his (or) father’s testicles.

1. Allen E. Booth says:

In the above, I meant to say “her” after the word (or). I only spotted the error after I had entered my reply.

39. G dawg says:

Everyones busy hatin’ on G dog.
    Which they should – He’s got the whole pin-head thing down to a liberal science.

Send G dog back to somalia, kenya, east L.A – anywhere!!!

40. Aco says:

I can hit a standing man in the chest easily 9out of 10 times. I have a full size ” metal man ” target and practice this shot off hand at 100yds. If you cant action jack, more range time is needed.

1. jackactionhero says:

You can hit a man-sized target with a handgun offhand at 100 yards 9 out of 10 times?

With what type and caliber handgun do you claim this accuracy?

41. Samantha says:

I think she was protecting herself, not her material goods.

42. Latham Luepke says:

The moment the burglars broke down the door her life was at risk whether or not she had a gun. It’s not like the burglars wouldn’t have noticed a pregnant woman if she hadn’t scared them off, the only real difference is they would have had no immediate reason to fear her, but plenty of reason to not want her around as a witness after they left. It’s not like she’d have been safer without it in this case.

43. K.O. says:

How did Darwin miss you?!

44. CharonPDX says:

How about risking her life for the sake of her life? She was in the house alone, they came in. I’d rather risk being shot while shooting them than just sit idly by while they do whatever they want with me, possibly including killing me.

45. Jake says:

I see that many comments have been deleted here on this subject. I will still try to post a RELEVANT, factual, and real-life post here. IF you are really going to use a 12 gauge shotgun for self defense, make sure that it has at least #4 buckshot, if not bigger. I guarantee you, it will work VERY WELL, it is the minimum that I would use in a shotgun in a self-defense mode, and no prosecutor will damn you for using it, it you use it IN YOUR OWN HOME, especially if you are a woman.

46. jaguar pc hosting says:

Thank you, I’ve just been looking for information approximately this topic for ages and yours is the best I have discovered till now. However, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you sure about the supply?|What i do not realize is in truth how you’re no longer really much more well-favored than you may be now. You are very intelligent.

47. plus de facebook fans says:

Usually I don’t learn article on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very forced me to try and do so! Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thank you, very nice article.

48. scientific forex,forex,forex signals,professional forex signals,forex signal provider,profitable forex signals,forex alert provider says:

Thank you, I have recently been looking for info approximately this subject for a while and yours is the greatest I’ve discovered so far. However, what concerning the conclusion? Are you certain about the supply?|What i do not realize is in reality how you’re not really a lot more neatly-preferred than you might be now. You’re so intelligent.