Sen. Koch Issues Statement On Relationship With Staffer

ST. PAUL (WCCO) — Former Minnesota Senate Majority Leader Amy Koch says she’s “deeply sorry by engaging in a relationship with a Senate staffer” in a statement issued Wednesday.

According to high level State Capitol sources, Koch resigned from her position on Dec. 15 because she was confronted with allegations of her having an inappropriate relationship with the staffer.

Read the entire statement below:

In a letter dated 12.15.11, I announced that I was resigning as Majority Leader for personal reasons. I have made some mistakes and errors in judgment for which I am deeply sorry by engaging in a relationship with a Senate staffer. While I have not violated any laws or Senate rules, nor misused any state funds or property, I want to express my deep regret and apologies to my constituents, the Republican party, my fellow legislators, friends and most importantly, my family. I regret more than words can express the hurt that I have caused to the people that I love, and to those who have worked and served with me over the past years.

The events of recent days have been very difficult for me and those close to me. It is important that I spend time now focusing on the challenging days ahead as I work through some very personal issues.

GOP leaders won’t name the male staffer alleged to be involved with Koch, but leaders said he continues to work at the Senate. Because it is now a legal matter, they’ve turned over the complaints to the Secretary of the Senate for review.

Republicans have set next Tuesday as the day they will elect a new Majority Leader.

1. ouch says:

Wow. What a costly mistake. Her life is destroyed and her political opponents are like hyenas at a fresh carcass. Well, let the gloating began.

1. ISH says:

Her political opponents should be! The republicans say that allowing gay marriage to occur will ruin the secretary of marriage. What she did ruins it, not gays.

1. RetroDude says:

The secretary of marriage?? Who IS the secretary of marriage??

1. Hamlet says:

I think I might be the janitor of marriage sometimes.

2. ez says:

sanctity is the correct word.

3. scottkey says:

I think Ish meant the sanctity of marriage. Surely even a retrodude like you can see it is a typo, can’t you?

2. Tom says:

@ ISH

You are correct! But Social Conservatives would rather blame other people for their problems than themselves!

3. Eewww says:

What she did, does ruin the sanctity of her marriage, but it does NOT ruin the sanctity of every marriage. Should gays be allowed to marry, I’m sure there will some gay people who will ruin the sanctity of their marriage as well.

2. Mike says:

Gloating? In the framework of a good conservative Republican, let’s get biblical here. The gravity of adultery is evident by the fact that the Bible describes the offense as being punishable by the death penalty for both the man and the woman. To the gallows with the two of them……..

1. PollyAnna says:

We don’t know if it was adultery. She just said it was a relationship. Could have been a card club or something.

1. Rebecca says:

I am sure she resigned because they were playing Monopoly

1. JN says:

No, not monopoly: Doctor

1. Mike B says:

More like hide the salami.

3. Albatross says:

Yeah, right, SHE’S the victim here… Criminy, can’t conservatives take responsibility for ANYTHING they do?

1. Counterpt says:

@Albatross … STOP the BS….NOT all conservatives shrug their responsibility for anything or everything they do! Your mindless dribble claiming everyone does what this one person did just shows how ignorant you are! Stick to flying because your landings and takeoffs look like your postings…utterly ridiculous.

4. VJ Schmitt says:

“Mistake?” When these people get caught its always defined as a “mistake”. Let someone else from another political party get found out doing something similar and the entire party plus all the people who belong to it are heathens! What a joke, these Republicans are such HYPOCRITES in every respect. They campaign for office using the wrath of God as their sabre, then they get in there and are promptly revealed to be anything but. Its one reason why I would never vote for any of them!!!!

5. Paul Francis says:

Power operates under the credo: Do as I say, not as I do. Leading us to this and the host of other “errors in judgment” through history.

6. E Thorne says:

You know, mistake might have been once giving in…however giving in to a “relationship” implies more than once and goes way beyond a mistake. If you are going to stand and tell others how to live their lives, including trying to pass a law, then you better make sure you don’t engage in “mistakes” and “relationships” that will come back to question your integrity and family values. Don’t you think?

2. stop says:

I am a DFL voter, no fan of the GOP for sure, and yet please media folks – this should be put to rest. The damage is done, she really messed up and yes the GOP has glaring issues galore. Address the issues but let her be at this point. It is done, her family is suffering and enough is enough
    You villianized Clinton and everyome else – does this trashing of humans sell that much ink?

1. scott says:

I agree, but it seems the GOP themselves keep putting this in the news. The news media job is just to re-tell the stories people in the GOP keep telling them.

2. Albatross says:

No, you’re wrong, this should be beaten into the face of every conservative pushing the Defense of Marriage Amendment until they lose the vote. THEN you can forget it.

3. Luke says:

Minn. Stat. 609.36

4. disappointed says:

What’s the diff?
    This isn’t a black and white issue, let alone.. a blue and red one.
    Her actions show her true character.

What more do you need?

5. G Dog says:

Koch is following the Gingrich philosophy of “family values”.

Hypocrisy is its own punishment.

1. fkafka says:

You quickly forget Lewinsky’s Clinton stained dress.

1. Matt says:

Yes but you don’t realize that Clinton did not run with the “family values” theme

1. Joel says:

Yes, he was just a plain pig. So that makes it okay.

1. Albatross says:

It doesn’t make it okay, but it also doesn’t make him a stinking hypocrite like Koch.

6. Ahab says:

Thar she blows!

1. RIII says:

You want to harpoon her/

7. smb says:

Actually, Amy, adultery is a crime in MN. When committed by a married woman anyway.
    Guess you should have agreed to fight for it’s repeal back in 2010 when the issue came up.

8. steve says:

Republicans = hyprocrites. What happened to the party of Lincoln?

9. Murph says:

Palin did the same number on Todd! Yet she thinks she can be POTUS at the last minute in 2012! Looking at the cuurent GOP candidates.Anything but them would be a better idea! Are they really so dumb as to thing thee majority of Americans want to cannibalize the meager subsistance of senior citizens,the working poor,sick,disabled,etc ,etc to FEED the RICH? We’d have to replace the statue of liberty with one of Idi Amin!

1. Murph's Mom says:

Oh, Murph. You always get so emotional around the holidays.

1. Murph says:

I know, I actually petted my dog yesterday.The guilty parties must have tried to pet each other! But just couldn’t resist doing to each other what the have been doing to us! Typical GOP shortcoming!

10. tom says:

The same people who represent ” family values ” (GOP) need to take al look at themselves.

11. angus says:

I still think we should extend our sympathy to the dingbat’s daughter! For her it is a case of “Here Come The Bully People”.

If the Republicans want everything to be out in the open and clear for the public why don’t they tell us exactly what occured and with whom? Instead the spin and dance

12. maxey says:

13. Brett says:

Amy, sorry, but you should resign your seat, NOW. You will be the focal point of places like this for the next year, and you should have known better than to think you could hide something like this forever. Just look at all of the rabid comments already being posted, it will only get worse as time goes on. Let this be a lesson learned, for ALL politicians.

14. Tom says:

The only people who believe in “family values” and “morals and values” are the GOP / Social Conservatives. But in reality there neither one exists!

1. Counterpt says:

So are you saying that Democrats don’t believe in “family values” and have no “morals and values?”

@Tom [GOP / Social Conservatives are the ONLY people who believe in “family values” and “morals and values”]

… just mindless dribble from Tom!

15. Matthew says:

Minnesota Statute 609.36 reads (currently in effect):
    Subdivision 1. Acts constituting. When a married woman has sexual intercourse with a man other than her husband, whether married or not, both are guilty of adultery and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than one year or to payment of a fine of not more than $3,000, or both”

1. Brett says:

OK, I’ll bite. I have no problem with Amy being prosecuted, but who has enough backbone to prosecute, convict, and sentance her for this? NOBODY. Quite frankly, if this law had been enforced over the years, I doubt that it would happen as often, and maybe cheating wouldn’t be so ‘socially’ acceptable, but that’s just me. So many say that they are against cheating, yet they don’t feel that any ‘consequences’ should be the result. Why?

2. fkafka says:

Just imagine how much time and money we’re going to spend re-writing these statutes once gay narriage is legalized, not to mention the complexities of cross-genders.

3. BARBBF says:

That is a stupid law and should have been removed years ago.

16. Matthew says:

Brett, I am not trying to troll nor do I think she should be prosecuted. The statute is sexist and should be removed from the books. I am merely pointing out that she did in fact commit a crime.

17. james2 says:

Amy, When you push to stop, or end your bigotry towards same gender oriented folks; when have a new conference to say that the Constitutional amendment is wrong and a mistake; when you admit that your a bigot; THEN I will let you off the hook.

Otherwise you will be the poster child of hypocrisy and hated this coming election season. Saying I’m sorry is just talk until backed up with action.

18. dhillips says:

If Koch would do something this unethical, wonder what else she was willihg to do?

19. mnsucks says:

what comes around goes around you shut down the state now we shut down you,you have made poor judgement threw your office term and you apoligize for being cought your fat ugly and nasty a lier and cheater im so happy your going to hell if i was the guy i would bury my head soo deep in the sand , the state of mn just made the best budget cut ever now we dont have to feed you do what you do best sit on your fat ass

1. Molly says:

I’m sorry Mr mnsucks but your spelling&grammar skills as well as sentence structure is what ‘sucks’ … very poor!!! all this should have been learned in grade sch. Your comment would be better taken had you spell-checked and grammer checked.

1. jackactionhero says:

2. Dacatp says:

Oh the irony. Try reading your own comment and see if you can spot the error (hint: sentences start with capital letters). And it’s spelled grammar not grammer. Nice try though. LOL

20. jimmy says:

So the Republicans knew about this since September. Held it, then ran to the press a week before Christmas. Sounds like pure meanness to me.

21. All republicans says:

are rotten shatbags.

1. Ken Smailliw says:

so are you

22. BARBBF says:

She should not have resigned from any position. What a bunch of GOP hypocrites!!!

1. Ken Smailliw says:

did you say the same when clinton did it too

23. mr obvious says:

“Politics gives guys so much power that they tend to behave badly around women. And I hope I never get into that.” –Bill Clinton

24. Murph says:

Here is a jolly Ho Ho Ho for the GOP ! Now that the Tea Partier branch in the house has assurred Obama’s reelection. In order to get a dog to do what you want,it helps if you are smarter than the dog! The GOP jst doesn’t have what it takes to be civilized and compassionate to those who are suffering.That is the true reason behind all these DEM posts.Kick us when we are down? You will always be remembered for your limp!

1. Murph says:

Breaking news.House GOP caves in to the wrath of the people for a change! Let’s not take it as any sign of friendship on their part.Having just given the 2012 election to Obama.They are now trying to save their own skins! Ya right,with all these stormtrooper boot marks on our backs.We most certainly have forgot about the “Don’t Tread on Me” slogan when it comes to their own reelections! Also, Newt shows off his wife..old plastic face in newest ad!

1. Dem Nuts says:

Democrats blame the GOP for not compromising and yet it was the Senate under Reid, who when he got the Senate’s version of the payroll tax cut bill passed, ran away saying his job was done. Since when does the Senate control this nation? There are 3 bodies of government for a reason. The Senate, House of Representatives and the President must all come to an agreement. Bills usually go back and forth until both the House and Senate can agree and even then the President must also agree to get it passed. All sides need to sit down, listen to each other, and work out an agreement. Instead, we have politicians spending more time in front of biased news cameras creating a spin that just gets spit out on these posts again. More time should be focused on what both sides can and have agreed upon and less on what they disagree on.

@Murph….you can complain all you want about the GOP and Tea Partiers, but the fact is, a majority of people with different political views than yours voted enough of them in to represent them and they hold the majority in the House of Representatives. “Kick us when we were down?” Maybe that’s why the DEMs lost the majority in the House of Representatives when they didn’t listen and just pushed their agenda down the throats of the GOP! Wait…what, the Democrats forced their beliefs and political views on others? Seems you forgot THAT FACT! What goes around…does comes around and only the next election will determine who the majority of the wrath is directed against. Any group both Dem or Rep that abuses their political power should face the wrath of the people who elected them.

1. Genie Kennedy says:

There is just so much wrong in that post. Every line is full of lies and propaganda. My advice is to stop watching Fox News, stop listening to right wing wacko radio,,,, and educate yourself.

25. tom says:

She is pathetic. Touting family values and the sanctity of marriage.

26. W T F says:

This is jus wonderful.
    Do you people really feel that when one person does something, it reflects on the whole group?
    Clinton did younger girls, so all democrats and conservatives are guilty.
    Koch does her staffer, so all conservatives, tee partiers, etc are all guilt.

You people are so small minded. Go back to your basements and let the adults comment here.

27. mark says:

Wow is she the first person to date someone at work?

1. donotworrt says:

I don’t think they were dating, since she was married to another. A bit more clandestine, I’d say. One solution would be to just stay single. No cheating.

28. William Sinclair says:

Republicans are the Love Party everywhere.

1. My goodness says:

It does seem more Republicans like this self-indulgence more than the Dems. But certainly, all these politicians have some sort of vice that gets exposed at some time or another.

29. pj says:

similar to when Gingrich was prosecuting Clinton and was having an affair with his current wife. Get politics out of grown peoples bedrooms. She is caught up because she is of forked tongue….saying one thing and doing another.

30. Murph says:

When the roll is called for the REX 84 concentration camps..NO DOUBT Democrats will be in the majority of inmates!So vote at your own risk,the Vermacht is watching and waiting to put you in a hot place to preserve their perversity! If you don’t have the co- coanuts to vote for freedom,vote republican.If you have some spine,come to the woods and make them pay a heavy price! I will,again and again and again, before I bow to the perfidity that is everything GOP! I absolutely hate their guts!!! Do any of you?? Answer!?

1. Ken Smailliw says:

We hate you too
      but we have more guns than you so you will lose
      when the shtf you dems are going to get whats coming to you 10 fold

31. Murph says:

Kenny,it’s unfortunate that the censors have decided tolet you go solo! In your quest for immortality.JI hope they just let me say[after several tries] that you are inadequate to assume any superiority over me in any test or contest!Without going into censored detail!You have guns ,I have me…you lose! Sorry city boy!

32. Alex says:

I find it hilarious that people seem to expect that pols who run as social conservatives, Reps and Dems alike, are somehow supposed to be perfect.