Residents Upset With Markings; City Says It’s The Law

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — It’s not a graffiti problem, but some people are tired of seeing paint markings all over their city’s streets and sidewalks.

Don Crawford, of Crystal, says the markings – little fluorescent dashes of red and orange – are all over New Hope.

If the markings aren’t made by graffiti artists, who made them? Utility companies.

Why? The red marks designate power and electric lines. The orange marks designate cable lines.

An avid runner and biker, Crawford grew distracted by the eyesore of the numerous markings in his daily travels along Rockford Road in New Hope, Minn.

“This just happens to be the worst I’ve ever seen,” he said. “I don’t think the people of New Hope or any other city should have to put up with this type of thing.”

According to New Hope officials, the problem is that the mild winter has allowed utility companies to do work in winter that would usually be done in spring. That allowed the companies to mark and re-mark roads and sidewalks. Also, snow would have erased some of the markings.

Paul Coone, New Hope’s operations manager, said the markings are required by law.

“[Companies] are obligated by law to do that, we are obligated by law to mark where our facilities are,” he said.

Coone says that the markings will eventually fade and that the red markings will turn white.

But for Crawford, that isn’t too reassuring. He said he has seen the same problem in other cities and that there is a difference between marks that are white and those that have disappeared.

More from John Lauritsen

1. Graffiti Kid says:

…and the City of Minneapolis went crazy over a little chalk left by the Occupy People.

2. I hate idiots says:

The title says “Residents” upset, but it sounds like only one “Resident”, Don Crawford, is upset. Obviously he’s not intelligent enough to realize that the markings are for safety, so that workers don’t get electrocuted or blown up while working around buried power or gas lines. He Don, how about you actually do a little research before complaining? IDIOT!

1. some people need a life says:

they are not only for worker safety but resident safety also, you want that gas line to blow up in front of your house or while you are driving/walking/jogging by?

3. j speedbag 64 says:

somebody sniveling about a crusty old sidewalk is news worthy…c’mon wcco you really lost me on this one

4. Mark G says:

Cripes, what a waste of time reporting this horrible ordeal. Stay tuned, someone also complains about the cracks in the sidewalk. I bet Don complains when his ice cream is too cold too.

5. Tom Dahl says:

Let me guess. Mr. Crawford works in a downtown office, lives in an oversized outer suburb home, and believes things like natural gas, electricity, and water just shows up when needed (or magically disappears in regards to sewage). All these services require buried utilities. If these utilities weren’t marked we’d lose workers by the hundreds each year due to contact with electrical and gas lines, not to mention the disruption to service and environmental damage. I think Mr. Crawford should be thankful for paved bike paths and leave it at that.

6. Bill P says:

Sounds like Mr. Crawford has life far too easy if this is what he has to gripe about.

7. Marie says:

Is it really that slow of a slow news day?

8. Laurie says:

Maybe we can have a chalk walk party at you know whos place. Be kinda fun playing hop scotch thru the night!🙂

9. Kirk Allen Larson says:

Some one thought they were in a Hospital and got lost going to the Operating Waiting Room.

10. Bpath says:

This is hands down the stupidest story I have read so far on this website, and that’s saying a lot! Mr. Crawford seems like a sniveling idiot. I feel dumber for visiting WCCO today. I think I’ll find a new news site. Adios!

11. Northern Hick says:

Thanks Mr. Crawford. Just when I feel a twinge of guilt for using monikers like “slicker” or “612-er” or “Citidiot”, you come along and affirm my stereotype.

12. Jimmy says:

I would suggest that all the utility companies should help Mr. Crawford with his problem. They should immediately remove all lines servicing his home so that he should never again have to see these warning markings.

I bet the guy is such a complainer he would find something else to complain about shortly thereafter…..

13. hunnybear18 says:

Well, heck. By all means let’s remove and stop placing those marks that help keep utility workers safe to appease this little tree hugger.

14. Cinday says:

An avid runner and biker, Crawford grew distracted by the eyesore of the numerous markings… what a fool… just another left wing… me…me…me I me…I…me…me…

15. Verressa says:

And I do not like all them runners running around getting in my way and having to look at most of them … why don’nt they just stay home and run around their house so we do not have to look at them?

1. frozenrunner says:

What are you doing on the sidewalk so fast that someone running by is in your way?

16. Bob says:

How about a paint ban, that will get the bastar@s …..

17. we says:

This wack job needs to get a life!

18. distracted part of the time says:

.yes I 2 get distracted and annoyed at the red fire hydrants and these red stop signs and those yellow ones two, not just the paint on the ground at the cross walks and the funny yellow or white lines down the middle of the street. I say let band them all..ok. ..well I though so…Crawford use your brain , if you can