Tech Minute: Best Headphones For Cheap

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — When trying to get the most out of your MP3 player without breaking the bank, you’ll want to consider how and where you’ll be listening to your music.

For those who are more active, the Bose IE2 ear buds offer a more snug fit than most headphones of its kind. It’s designed with a silicone mold that helps hold the ear bud in place.

“They’ll stay in (your ear) and deliver that nice sound that Bose has become famous for,” says Best Buy Blue Shirt Peter Vossler.

The Bose IE2 retails for $99.

When quality is all that matters when listening to music, but you don’t want to overspend, consider an over-the-ear model.

Headphones took a leap forward in recent years, largely because of the Beats By Dre models. The brand also took the price of the headphones to another level with a popular model retailing for $399. Beats By Dre’s new line, Solo HD, are a smaller over-the-ear version of its Beats Pro line which retails for $199.

The line also offers MP3 controls on the chord to the headphones, and allows for hands-free phone calls.

“You can control you iPod and iPhone right from (the headphones) and you don’t have to take them off to answer a call,” says Vossler. “The built in microphone will let you continue with your conversation.”

If you feel $200 is too much to pay for new headphones, there are other options out there. Check out this list from CNET of the Best Headphones Under $100.

Comments

1. Realist says:

If Best Buy recommends *anything*, I go with another product. Period.

2. Jason Carle says:

Why did you bother writing this article only to pick the two worst earphones possible? Is WCCO taking money from Best (worst) Buy now to write stories that appear to be news, but are really advertisements?

3. BKinMN says:

Realist & JC nailed it. First brand BB offered was Bose. Probably had the biggest spiff, for the salesperson. Checked out a pair of Sony noise cancelling earbud headphones. Amazing sound, and were (still are) $30.00 less expensive.

4. Wcco is Redefining Cheap says:

When I read “…best headphones for cheap” I expected headphones in the $20-$40 range. $99 is not cheap. Who is the target audience of this article?

5. Beats says:

Agreed and even $40 for them is too much. I’m thinking i’ll buy some Beats with my welf@re money or maybe my endless unemployment benefit checks. Gotta jump into my Escalade and run to Best Buy now…

6. What a bunch of dopes says:

$99 for a stupid set of ear bud headphones?! Christ All Mighty – the stupidity of our younger generations will never cease to amaze me.

1. Jennifer says:

I’m not sure how age matters…

7. Jennifer says:

I just spent $25 on a pair of headphones and felt bad. Ugh…who the heck thinks $100 is cheap. Nuts.

8. RIII says:

“Best Headphones For Cheap”to me means under $20. Koss makes several different models for around $20 and they sound and fit great but I don’t think they have the profit margin of a $99 pair. Reminds me of an old saying; A fool and his money are soon parted.

9. Best headphones under $100 says:

Hi there! This article could not be written much better! Reading through this article reminds me of my previous roommate! He continually kept preaching about this. I will send this information to him. Fairly certain he’s going to have a good read. I appreciate you for sharing!