Girl With Cerebral Palsy Gets New Wheelchair From Good Samaritan

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Yesterday we told you about 7-year-old Moira Stomberg from Minneapolis. Someone stole her wheelchair from her family’s north Minneapolis driveway on Sunday.

Stomberg has a mild form of cerebral palsy, which is why she needs the wheelchair. Now she’ll be getting a brand new wheelchair because of a WCCO-TV viewer.

Stomberg came to the offices of Residential Mortgage Wednesday afternoon. She was using a temporary wheelchair form the Courage Center. She came to meet Steve Sherwood, who will be paying for Stomberg’s new chair.

Stomberg said his company can do whatever it takes to give her the perfect chair.

“Our company, Residential Mortgage Group, gives about $250,000 a year to different charities so we decided in addition to that my wife and I would participate in this. It’s the right thing to do,” Sherwood said.

Her chair disappeared from the family driveway over the weekend. Her parents put a sign on the garage door asking that it be returned. She has mild cerebral palsy, and uses a wheelchair when she is out in the community.

moira chair 2 Girl With Cerebral Palsy Gets New Wheelchair From Good Samaritan

(credit: CBS)

“Overwhelmed. That’s the only word I can think of is overwhelmed. We’re so grateful,” said Moira’s mother.

“It’s truly a wonderful thing and I’m so excited for Moira and her new wheelchair,” said her father.

The new wheels also mean Moira gets to go to one of her favorite places, the Science Museum of Minnesota. She’ll get to go there more often because the Stombergs now have a complimentary membership.

“We were really touched by her story and her enthusiasm for the museum and we wanted to be part of the community of support that is surrounding her,” said Sarah Imholte with the Science Museum of Minnesota.

“I love it,” Moira said.

She will have to be measured for her new wheelchair at Gillette Children’s Hospital, and that may happen this week. Sherwood has promised to pay all the costs for the new chair, up to $5,000.

Comments

1. Nancy Aleshire says:

Great story–makes my day!!

2. Crosby says:

This is NICE!

3. Linda Hecht says:

So happy for her and her family!

4. jean says:

this is extra nice ….THEIR ARE LOTS OF NICE PEOPLE DOING NICE THIHING LIKE THIS MAN AND HIS FAMILY AN ANGLE ‘S…and this young girl and her family haveing their prays answered

5. Samson says:

All people have the capacity for good. It would be great to see more of this.
    I remember when I was about 8 years old in Sunday school a boy on crutches fell and could not get up and I was the only other one around, I helped him get up and picked up his things for him. I remember how good I felt helping someone and that stuck with me all my life.

6. NORMAN.ROSE JOARNT says:

THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS LITTLE GIRL’S MOBILITY BACK SO QUICKLY. IT’S PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT ARE TRUE BLESSINGS!!! ONLY PEOPLE WITH THESE DISABILITIES KNOW THE TRUE LOSS HER FAMILY AND HER WERE FEELING. A GREAT BIG THANK YOU TO YOU GUYS!!!!

7. vColdinMinn says:

Ok i dont mean to be a jerk but how much is a Wheelchair and why he is only paying up to $5.000???

8. Ssherwood says:

Cost is $3000. Told them to “trick it out” up to $5,000. Also told them to call me if they needed more