Groups Filing Signatures To Recall Wis. Governor

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Organizers of an effort to oust Wisconsin’s Republican Gov. Scott Walker say they are submitting 1 million petition signatures, almost double the number needed to force a recall election.

Their effort was spurred by anger over Walker’s moves his first year in office, particularly his fight against public sector unions.

The Wisconsin elections board now must verify that there are enough valid signatures, a process expected to take months. An election may not happen until June or later.

Organizers also turned in on Tuesday about 305,000 more signatures than needed to force a recall election of Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch.

Separate efforts to recall the Republican leader in the state Senate and three other GOP senators also are turning in more than enough signatures to require elections

(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

1. barrister says:

Go recall!!!

1. Jake says:

That’s a lot of “Bart Simpsons” and “Seymour Buttses.”

1. What a waste says:

How many of those people are non residents, non voters, under age any one can sign those thing my pet could sign the way they have that thing set up

2. insignificant says:

“donald duck”…”micky mouse”…lol

2. dan says:

Good luck running against Walkers record. He has reduced the deficit and balanced the budget within the State, reduced health care cost for the Milw school District by over 30% by fostering competition and will win any re-election effort in 2012.

1. Josh says:

He didn’t reduce health care costs by fostering competition, he reduced health care costs by reducing health care.

1. dan says:

Really Josh? I suggest you do a bit of research before forming an opinion. Take a look at the Journal Sentinal article on the Heartland Lakeside insurance plan that dropped their Union carrier for United HealthCare and are anticipating saving $690,000 per year. Imagine how many more teachers we could hire just with this annual savings. Same coverage at a lower price. This all comes from competition.

2. dan says:

So I guess Heartland Schools saving $690,000 per year by being allowed to shop for comparable coverage is false? You may want to look it up Josh.

3. Murph says:

Too bad,he won’t be able to govern from the federal pen! Taking a few of his buddies with him too I bet! Looks like the only place GOP politician stories will be found is in the crime section! Just when they were really raking in the dough.Tough break!

1. Sandy says:

What on earth are you talking about…………..

1. Pundit says:

I don’t know what he’s talking about. The only people raking in the dough were Democrats taking contributions from government unions.

2. Sally the bartender says:

You the news stories….well, I’ll pray for you.

3. Murph says:

Sandy,1,115 possibly fraudulent campaign contributions seems to be the hold up incharging someone now rather than once they are all verified.Costing WI taxpayers 9 million dollars for the recall.If it had only been a handful the investigation would be over by now! Walker would be charged and the band could play on! Knowing that he is quilty,but putting taxpayers on the hook for 9 million dollars his last few months of freedom.Now that is the REAL GOP way! If Scotty fesses up,the judge might even take some pity on him.Doing it his way,will really cost him and you too!

4. Citizen of MN says:

Hey Wisconsin… we’ll trade ya.

1. Betty says:

Glad to see there are some supporters of Walker still in WI. Keep up the fight. I agree with you, you would not want to trade for Dayton on his best day!

1. Carl says:

Amen Citizen! Good Bye Dayton!

5. Long live Walker says:

Here’s hoping Walker survives the union goon led recall and retaliates against them with a vengeance!

Tons of empty desks at government offices, bankrupt the unions and return a huge chunk of money to the hardworking, honest taxpayers of Wisconsin!

6. Give me liberty says:

Need some cheese with that whine Wisconsin Democrates?

7. Kevin says:

I love Walker…becuase I hate Govt unions…..because I have to pay for them……NO GOVT UNIONS!

1. kevinsux says:

Yes, Kevin. We all know you love men.

2. G Dog says:

But you love paying for CEO bonuses, stock options, etc., because they provide a valuable service to you.

Has Herb Kohl or Glenn Taylor plowed your street recently?

8. barrister says:

Noway would I trade gov Dayton for Walker!

1. Betty says:

Wonderful, another Walker supporter in WI! Hang in there, you have more support than you think. Feel lucky you dont have Dayton ruining your state. vote Walker!

9. Walker, hang in there, we support you. says:

Walker is a model for all governors to work from. He’s the only thing good about Wisconsin, turning it into a state of values and morals. Pretty hard to question someone’s integrity, but when you look at those signing the signatures to recall him, you can certainly question their integrity and who they would rather see in office. Some people just can’t be pleased unless they’re paid off. These “Recall Walker” bumper stickers are really the best way to tell who’s who. Its the typical station wagon sierra club wearing greenie who wants free everything for all.

10. Kevin D says:

And what happened to the 400,000 jobs Walker was going to create? The last time I looked, Wisconsin’s unemployment numbers were still going up. I’m sure the wealthy are doing much better, but I have a feeling they didn’t sign the recall petition. But let’s face it, to Republicans those are the only people that matter.

Bye, bye Mr. Walker. At least I hope so.

1. Carl says:

@Kevin D
      Considering WI unemployment was at 9.2% in June of 2009 and is currently at 7.3% kind of goes against your argument. Unemployment has dropped since Walker has taken office which does correlate to positive job growth.

1. Toad in the hole says:

@Carl – let’s see if we have this straight. When national unemployment rate goes down, it’s not that Obama’s policies are working, but rather it’s people giving up on employment.

But in Wisconsin if unemployment goes down with no net jobs increase to support the change, Walker has created job growth???

Carl – good cheese curds don’t have fuzzy green stuff on them. Stay off the whacky cheese!

2. Kevin D says:

First, I made an error. Walker only promised to create 250,000 jobs in 4 years.

However, read on – info from a Wisconsin publication:

“So far, however, job growth under Walker has been anemic, according to the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics.
        Nonfarm employment grew by 4,500 between November 2010 and November 2011, up just 0.2 percent – one of the worst performances among the states. In Illinois, nonfarm jobs grew at a 1 percent clip over the same time frame, a rate five times greater than in Wisconsin.”

1. Carl says:

Dont forget Walker will have a Budget surplus wiothin his first 2 years in office. Did the former Gov ever have that? WI is better becasue of Scott Walker

2. Carl says:

And Obama sold us on passing a multi trillion dollar plan to avoid unemployment numbers to ever go over 8%.
          If he can blanace a budget and stop the loss of jobs from the former WI administration he is moving in the right direction.
          You will never hear Mr Walker claim how many jobs were saved or added like some other number twisters.

11. Best3800 says:

For those who love the little dictator, I suggest you move to Wisc. If you don’t live there already and take a few in the Mn. Congress with you that get nothing done except sleep around.They would fit RIGHT in with Walkers values and morals.

12. Fact says:

Before Chuck Norris goes to bed he puts on his Governor Walker Pajamas

1. Murph says:

I bought a pair.There just wasn’t enough crotch room in the darn things! Do you think him and the Koch boy’s have just a little,I mean a very little in common?

13. Steve says:

Hang in there Gov Walker, Run for election in Minnesota. We have had 3 losers in the last three elections.,

14. WALKER!!!!! says:

Yes! I support Walker too! Because if there’s one thing I hate, it’s TEACHERS. Take away their health care, those commie idiots don’t need it and I don’t want to pay for it. Just because you guys work 16 hour days, come in on the weekends, write most of your curriculum yourself, and get paid $30,000/yr doesn’t mean you’re entitled to DRAIN the money of HARD WORKING PEOPLE like me! I work hard! Everyone knows that the rate of pay always equals effort exerted. If I work hard for an hour, I get money. If I work harder, I get even more. Smart people know not to be born in Mexico, have black skin, or be a woman. Smart people know that you should be a white man, because that way you can make $1.00 for every $.80 a woman makes. Be smart: don’t be a loafing teacher, become a white man if you aren’t already (they just naturally work harder), and KEEEEEP WALKER!

1. Dave says:

So by your logic it would not be the fault of a white person to be born that way either. This argument makes no sense?? I like to hear the other side of the argument, but most are about as on base as this rant. Also, what teacher ever works 16 hour days and come in on weekends?? I dont know of any, and I know several teachers at all levels of the education system.

15. Walker!!!!!! says:

Yes! I support Walker too! Because if there’s one thing I hate, it’s TEACHERS. Take away their health care, those commie idiots don’t need it and I don’t want to pay for it. Just because you guys work 16 hour days, come in on the weekends, write most of your curriculum yourself, and get paid $30,000/yr doesn’t mean you’re entitled to DRAIN the money of HARD WORKING PEOPLE like me! I work hard! Everyone knows that the rate of pay always, ALWAYS, equals effort exerted. Any economist from any online college will tell you this. If I work hard for an hour, I get money. If I work harder, I get even more. Smart people know not to be born in Mexico, have black skin, or be a woman. Smart people know that you should be a white man, because that way you can make $1.00 for every $.80 a woman makes. Be smart: don’t be a loafing teacher, become a white man if you aren’t already (they just naturally work harder), and KEEEEEP WALKER!

1. Walker Lover says:

Wow, teachers working 16 hours per day? Drive by any public school after 3:30 and you will only see an empty lot.
      And they have to write their own curriculum? OMG is that even in their job description?

1. Ignorance says:

@Walker Lover
        You dont know a whole lot about teachers, do you? I am a teacher: I arrive at work at 7:00 am, and I leave at 5:00 pm. This is the norm. In addition to those hours, I typically plan, grade papers, and generate curriculum for 3-4 hours at home. If you don’t see cars in the school parking lot, it’s either because they are taking things home, or they have come in to work on Saturday and Sunday. Teachers are given curriculum to work with, but the expectation is that it is rewritten in a way that is tailored to each student’s specific needs: this is called differentiated instruction. So for every lesson I teach, I write several variations based on different needs. Additionally, we are called upon to be peer mediators, parent mentors, mentors to younger teachers, research analysts, and more. In the job description these things fall under the header of “Performs the function of Elementary/Middle/High School Teacher”. You can love Scott Walker all you want, and you can hate teachers all you want…but just know that what you love is based in greed, and what you hate is based in generosity. And there went my 10 minute lunch break…

1. Dave says:

@ Ignorance
          Yes this is the work schedule of a GOOD teacher. However there are so many bad teachers that have been tenured in by their union. No matter how bad their performances are, they get to keep their job. I am not totally against unions, just public ones. In the case of a private union a consumer is given choice to use that company or not. The costs are almost always going to be more with a union based business, however sometimes these costs are warranted. If these costs are not warranted I the consumer have a chose to use a non union business. With public unions there is no choice, we the consumers “tax payers” are forced to pay for your services. I cant simply take my business elsewhere, try not paying your taxes once. Public unions create a conflict of interest in that they have no competition, they are allowed to vote themselves raises with no threat of losing out on business. This is called a monopoly, in the priivate sector world these are outlawed, as they should be in the public sector. Its pretty simple people, we have spent way more than we can possibly afford over the last 20 years or so. Cuts need to be made at all levels and segments of government. Cut, cut, cut and tax at a bit higher rate for all. We need to bring down all deficits or we are in trouble!!!

1. Citizen says:

@Dave. Your argument is a nonstarter. There are bad employees in all professions and in all jobs everywhere. Jobs are kept and people promoted for various reasons. The union may protect some marginal employees, but brown-nosing and “kissing-up” and illicit relationships help other marginal employees without a union keep their jobs. I reference the latest GOP shenanigans at the state capitol. In fact, most of the really incompetent, nonunion people I worked with over the years were the biggest boss’s pets. The solution to deficits is to put taxes back to 1950’s levels on the wealthiest people in the country. We cannot cut our way to financial solvency and economic success.

2. Citizen says:

Also, Dave, as a point of information, public employee unions serve the purpose of protecting public employees from predatory political activity of which we have seen so much, and I only have to refer to the present climate of teacher-hate out there and vilification of public employees.

16. Murph says:

Yup,take away all their incentive and you will have no teachers to babysit your little brats all day while yous’ slave for masta! You is about as dumb as a stone! You yelp and cry about fellow working stiffs,while “the man ” takes away all your money.In Africa they call your kind smallies.You know ,like from smalliareya! Ain’t much smaller than U! No ambition,no smarts ,vote dumber than a stump! Yup,you GOP material alright.They gonna just love ya to death.Until,that is you cain’t work no more! Then it’s Soylent Green.They just ain’t going to waiver your rights,the GOP plans to wafer you! Yum,yum! getcha whilst your hot!

1. Dave says:

Wow, that is all. Wow!! Maybe we should spend more on education after all.

17. Phillip says:

He is going to remain governor.
    The recall will fail.

The union thugs are in complete denial. When someone claims Walker is going to be recalled, ask them to bet money. They immediately shut upl

1. Wishful Thinking Phil says:

@phillip
      Can you name some union thugs? Who are they specifically? I’ll bet MONEY I can name at least two real corporate thugs for every “union thug” you make up.

18. Trade please says:

Please Wisc. we in Mn will trade gov’s anyday!!!

1. DOWN WITH POOR PEOLE!!! says:

Yes!! LET’S TRADE!! Down with the POOR! Up with WALKER!! Pleeeeeeaaaassse!

19. Bubba says:

Ride that pompous, Koch lovin’, self righteous Gov. outta there.