DNR Says Donations To Wildlife Tax Checkoff Fall

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — The Department of Natural Resources is urging Minnesotans to help nongame wildlife by donating to the Wildlife Checkoff Fund on their state tax forms.

Nongame Wildlife Program supervisor Carrol Henderson says the tough economy has affected their budget. Donations are down more than 10 percent. Every year, he says, the number of donors decreases, with fewer than one in 35 households remembering wildlife at tax time.

The tax deductible, voluntary donations to what’s sometimes called the “Chickadee Checkoff” fund more than 80 conservation projects. They include: monitoring loon populations; surveys of wood turtles, ospreys, rattlesnakes and dragonflies; frog and toad research; monitoring of heron rookeries; and protection and management of important habitat for bald eagles, piping plovers, peregrine falcons and other wildlife at risk.

(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

1. Joe Hanson says:

“Every year, she says, …”

Apologies to you, Mr Carrol Henderson.

2. The new normal says:

People are tired of the DNR’s gimme gimme gimme as well as their gestapo tactics such as roadside check points for your boat and stiffling rules in th WMAs which they have too many of.

3. done says:

I will not be sending any more money down the black hole of any government agency. At this point, I feel we are being robbed if government touches anything with money I earned. It is easy when you are one who pays no state or federal income taxes but for those who pay and don’t get it all back via a refund, I’m done being charitable.

4. Space Monkey says:

I don’t donate to this program although I did for many years. I realized that it is all about habitat. Surveys and monitoring are ineffective. If there were a program that took donations to buy up large blocks of natural habitat for public use I would resume donating. Habitat.

5. KEVIN says:

ILL NEVER DONATE TO THIS PROGRAM AGAIN. AFTER THERE SHOOT FIRST POLICY AND ASK QUESTIONS LATER ATTITUDE WHEN THEY HAD TWO FAWNS SHOT IN MY NEIGHBORS YARD,IVE HAD IT WITH AROGANT ATTITUDE.I AM ALSO THROUGHING AWAY THE PHONE NUMBERS OF CONSERVATION OFFICERS THAT I HAVE IN MY WALLET IN CASE I SEE ANY ILLEAGAL POACHING OR GAME LAW VIOLATIONS. I’M JUST GOING TO WALK AWAY

1. alligator says:

i too will never again support the DNR because of their killing the aimals rather than conserving them….we are the stewards of wildlife and to kill just because its more convenient is just detestable. When the DNRs practices cease to exist as they currently are is when i will restart contributing otherwise that agency is mismanaged, poorly operated and does more harm than good…….their arrogance is appalling and this opinion is shared by the MAJORITY of the people. Remember, OUR gov’t is SUPPOSED to be OF THE PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE AND FOR THE PEOPLE—–at the DNR they laugh at this premise.

2. agree says:

I have experienced the same. Saw more horrible violations this year slaughtering deer, but after doing my best to help the wildlife around me, only to be hit repeatedly with an officer who just seemed to hate doing his job, I’m disgusted. I will still give to the fund, in spite of the few that don’t appear serious about their job.
      No one in my area, but Duluth seems to have some good Officers.

6. Chris says:

How about the automatice tax that we are all now paying in MN?
    It is generating millions for the same purpose as this, but it is not enough?
    I believe that they have gone to the same well too many times and too bad.
    I think they have been adding too many enforcement officers (outfitted with the best equip, vehicles, etc) and doing less for the habitat… I guess we won’t need those officers if there is little wildlife left and no one buying hunting licenses either. Talk about black holes where our hard earned money disappears!

1. DougT says:

Ya – “Minnesota’s Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund” extorts money from the working people of minnesota for the “arts” and the DNR – no wonder people stopped checking this box – they figured the money has already been taken …..

7. Lousie says:

After that horrible situation when 2 fawns were shot, I am not for helping the DNR . Where do they get off telling officers to just shoot deer without even looking into what the real picture is? They can cry all they want for more money. Good Luck with that.

8. Andy says:

They have some nerve asking for money after that BS in forest lake. Conservation agencies are the most unconstitutional agencies in this country. I’ll give money to help disband the DNR. Why can’t that be an option?

9. Grant says:

I will keep giving my money to Pheasants Forever that goes to habitat. The DNR doesn’t need any money. They are also talking about increasing the amount we pay for fishing and hunting licenses too. If the DNR wants me to spend money than open up a wolf season!

10. Kathy says:

Don’t fall for that ploy for more money. Remember they couldn’t even bother themselves to go and talk to that family with the fawns. They made Forest Lake PD go and do their dirty work. They shoot everything. Do they need training or money to do something anyone can do to these animals?

11. Carrie says:

I no longer donate to the DNR, I have chosen to give my money to places like the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center and other small or non-profit organizations that actually HELP and PROTECT Minnesota’s wildlife, habitat and environment. The MNDNR is a complete disgrace.