Brooklyn Center Day Care Shut Down By The State

BROOKLYN CENTER (WCCO) — About 100 families in the Twin Cities are forced to find a new day care for their kids after theirs was forced to shut down Tuesday.

The Minnesota Department of Human Services issued the temporary immediate suspension order at Arena Early Learning Center in Brooklyn Center.

The State says it determined conditions in the facility posed “an imminent risk of harm to children,” according to officials. Those officials won’t say exactly what risks the State found.

“Where children are placed in imminent risk of harm we must, and will, act quickly to protect them,” DHS Commissioner Lucinda Jesson said.

Now, parents have to make new plans for their children, including Johnatta Jefferson-Moore. Her two granddaughters go to the day care.

“The flag kept going up, going up, going up,” she said. “It’s been issues, and I’ve seen the high turnover in staff. That was my concern.”

Her granddaughters recall eating leftovers.

“We have found, and then it’s good food, and like next week, we have found that we had last week with all the food we had a long time ago,” said Christyana.

The day care owner’s wife said that an ex-employee is the one who came forward and brought up a number of issues to the state.

Owner Antonio Smith, who avoided WCCO several times at the day care, has until Monday to file an appeal with the state.

The State says documentation couldn’t be provided that showed staff met education and experience requirements. One staff member took pictures of children and posted the pictures on their Facebook page without parental permission. Menus didn’t comply with federal government nutritional requirements.
Staff served water with the meal, though milk must be served, according to guidelines.

The State says children were at risk indoors where wallpaper was peeling. Chipped and peeling paint in the playground was also a health-risk.

“I’m really upset. I’m really upset, because I have to work. I depend on having day care that’s dependable,” Johnatta said.

Johnatta will now rely on family to watch her grandchildren until she can find permanent day care.

The temporary immediate suspension of the license is the most serious licensing sanction the state can take against a day care.

Comments

1. Billy says:

This is a shame! Not.

2. Ash says:

WHERE ARE THE PARENTS????????????????

1. tina says:

Mama’s high on crack and baby daddy” is in jail.

3. Becca says:

What???

1. Revert says:

I had to read it a few times myself. I finally got bored and realized it just wasn’t worth it. Some people just can’t string together a proper sentence.

2. KV says:

I also read it twice before I decided that it was totally messed up.

4. KS says:

The only shame here is that parents have been subjecting their kids to those kinds of conditions. I would NEVER leave my kids somewhere that didn’t look completely clean and safe.

5. Karen says:

What about the parents’ responsibility with all of this. Did they not notice this stuff?? You need to trust your instincts, if it doesn’t feel right, it probably is not. Also, “The day care had been operating the last couple years while appealing violations.” That is a problem. YEARS of violation appeals??

6. Laura says:

this is rediculous! i worked in a highly acclaimed daycare center for FOUR years and not once did we have these problems! where were the parents in this? did oyu not SEE IT>?!?!?!?!??! do you not listen to your kids when they tell you they have water and not milk! or that they had to eat leftovers for a meal???? seriously, this is simply rediculous!!

7. Jan says:

Arena used to be a decent place for children to be brought years ago as I used to bring my children there. It is one of the few daycare centers that was open overnight and weekends or parents such as myself who work overnight shifts in the medical field. I took my children out of there when I did some investigating on the Dept of Human Services website and saw the number of violations, and then the high staff turnover rate. The director of the center Antonio Smith was never around when parents such as myself wanted to speak to him about concerns I had. Early 2011, Arena was closed unexpectedly for a few days when there was not enough staff onsite and that’s when I pulled my children out and said enough. I’m very happy that it is now closed and I hope that it does not reopen or that the state does not allow Antonio Smith to open another facility. The news should also look into Atrebla Learning Center which is operated by the same family.

8. ChiggerChaser says:

The names…the verbage in the quotes, the whole shebang here …… let me take a guess. It’s …….. Okay – I got it now.😉

9. Kevin says:

you the tax payer….pay for daycare for over 45,000 children in MN. I assume that we pay for these 100 families. Keep them coming….I still have money left over you can tax……