Rick Santorum Visits MN Before Caucus

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (WCCO) — Republican presidential hopeful Sen. Rick Santorum made a stop at a Twin Cities mega church just two days before Minnesota’s caucuses.

Santorum visited the non-denominational Grace Church in Eden Prairie where he took questions from the pastor. The discussion centered around Santorum’s faith in both his public and private life.

“About a year or so ago, when I was getting around the country, ‘Are you running for president?’ and I would say, ‘No, I’m walking — and the reason I say I’m walking is I’m trying to walk the path that Christ has laid out to me,'” Santorum said.

Heavy applause showed the congregation of nearly 3,000 liked what they were hearing.

“I was really interested and delighted to come,” said parishioner Mark Hyde.

Senior pastor Troy Dobbs announced that the mega church wasn’t endorsing Santorum.

“It is, I think, a great opportunity for us to hear about the faith story of a man engaged in politics at the highest level in our country,” Dobbs said.

After the 15-minute question and answer session, the Santorum did a quick meet and greet with parishioners.

With his only victory in Iowa, Santorum now seems to be hitting Minnesota hard with stops scheduled in Bemidji, Lake Waconia, and Rochester. His commercials are also frequently hitting Minnesota airwaves.

“I think Tuesday’s going to be a good day for us,” Santorum told reporters. “I think it’ll help hopefully re-set the race a little bit.”

It’s a hope several in attendance seem to share.

“This just confirmed a lot of things for me,” Hyde said.

A survey recently released from Public Policy Polling shows Santorum currently has the lead in Minnesota with 29 percent of the vote. Mitt Romney follows close behind with 27 percent. Newt Gingrigh follows with 22 percent and Ron Paul holds an estimated 19 percent of the vote.

Comments

1. liberty first and always says:

You can hear him chanting “I hate gays, I hate gays, I hate gays!” Yup, God’s Own Party of dinosaurs is still on track.

When you have somebody to blame, you can rally the people.

1. Dan B. says:

Poor you…he never said that, and he never will, regardless of how much you will hate him for not saying it.
      However, with regard to your “poor remarks” all what I can say to you is …”God bless you too…”

1. liberty first and always says:

Thanks for the feedback Dan B. Yeah, he is supportive. His actions do speak louder than words. As he encourages equality for same gender couples, we are assured he has our best interests in mind. As he prays for “God” to bless us, he labors tirelessly on our behalf. Wow, I’ve never been more wrong. I’m sorry.

2. Yolanda says:

Agreed,. Santorum’s position on gay marriage is the same as that of all of the candidates including President Obama.

1. liberty first and always says:

Yolanda, Dan B is trying to paint me as a hater. As you can see, I’m not but do use words that express his contempt for gay folks. Santorum’s goal is to shove us back into the closet.

I can’t wait till we quit calling everything gay this or that, and just call it what it is, marriage, equal rights, etc.

Thanks for the support.

2. Andy says:

First google santorum, hilarious! Another religious wind bag playing on fears. Keep religion out of government!

1. Dan B,. says:

Religion is Out of Government already. However…religious people believe something as gay people believe something. Both of them are, less or more, serving in various positions of government. That does not mean that if a man, who happen to be Christian would like to proselytize his constituency in the same way as a gay would not want to impose his “gay views” upon his constituency, isn’t it?

See…if you just pay attention we can agree with each other without being mean or rude to one another.

1. see through it says:

That means that you are encouraging a NO vote on the amendment, right? or are you just being nice while trying to trigger a negative response?

Thanks for voting NO. See? We can get along without being rude or using law to impose a Christian type of Sharia law to make sure everyone complies with a particular point of view.

2. jackactionhero says:

“religious people believe something as gay people believe something”

What religious people feel of gay Americans is not relevant to America, or how America moves forward.

Stop trying to tell us all what we need to believe and what laws we need to live by that you established based on your religion. They are not relevant.

3. Ummm ... says:

I love the waste of money on this trip. Start in E.P., go all the y to Bemidji, and then back to Waconia. Who plans these things?

4. j speedbag 64 says:

the gop is comming to bemidji……that explains why all the indians are being stopped and thrown in jail…..

5. mnturnred says:

Heavenly Father, please forgive those who post such hateful and disrespectful comments. Mr. Santorum, like almost all loving Christians, love gays, too, but won’t deny that the acts of gays are sinful, just like the acts of non-gays are sinful, too. We are all hypocrites at the end of the day, but can still show love for one another while seeking a deeper relationship with our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

1. Andy says:

Take the bible and shove it up your religious a$$! Religion has no buisness in government. Keep it in your church where it belongs

2. Dan B. says:

I couldn’t have said it better.
      Not that some of the haters around her will pay any attention to these candid words, but is just the right thing to do. I will just aid to that…”Father…forgive them for they do not know what they do…”

1. jackactionhero says:

I refuse to live by laws you establish that you insist we all follow, that are based on religious ideology. That isn’t how this is going to work.

3. JGE says:

Rick Santorum is a ridiculous hypocrite. How any “Christian” can support him with a straight face is BEYOND me. He talks the talk, but when it comes down to it this “Godly man” laughs at women that have children with cancer and supports big-pharma over the life of people. So Christian. Santorum: protecting life from conception to birth.

6. Bradley Dunlap says:

People without any morales or work ethic. People who like to be taken care of without needing to have any responsibility always without question hate people that actually do work for a living and do stand for something. Rick doesnt play world of warcraft, or stand in line at the bank because of a disability relating to drug adiction. No, Rick works hard and says what he believes regardless of whether it helps him get elected or not. I respect him alot. You haters out there prefer Obama, or Newt, or Romney. People who have no ability to tell the truth or to care about anybody but themselves, people just like you🙂

1. Dan B. says:

Do not engage in their rage Bradley. It’s not worth it.The best you can do to them is to just tell them…”God Bless you too…”

1. question for you says:

What about Allah, can’t you say Allah bless you? I hear they are one and the same. Or is that not ok with you Dan B?

7. Honesty says:

Bradley, your post is the most unChristian tripe I have ever had the misfortune to read. You arrogance is seeping through as you criticize people who are different from you. It is no surprise that you support Santorum, as he does the exact same thing. I do support Obama, because he would never talk down to his fellow citizens the way you and Santorum do.

1. Working Man says:

Right on Bradley. The left does have a point. I want to sit on butt and get paid for doing nothing. Wait a minute that is called retirement and you have to work for that right. Silly liberals, pay checks are for working people. “Work” a word that is not found in the liberal entitlement vocabulary.

2. Brett says:

Do you mean that phrases like, “Well, they can ride the bus, but they have to sit in the BACK”, or how Bush’s budget deficits were “unpatriotic”, but he as run them up more than twice as fast in HALF the time? That’s not “talking down” to his fellow citizens?

8. Brett says:

You libs will invent the most putrid slime to tar and feather a decent human being.
    That’s a fact, and your comment proves it.

1. Dan B. says:

Judging upon the three previous comments, I will have to agree with you.
      It;’s said to see people filled with hatred for the simple fact that another person happen to disagree with them.
      I still hope that we as Americans, including the gay community, can do better than that.

1. jackactionhero says:

Should gays be allowed to be Kindergarten teachers or pediatricians? Just curious.

Is it “wrong” to be gay? What should be done to people who refuse to stop? If your god dislikes gays, wouldn’t you be fulfilling your god’s wishes by removing them from earth?

1. Yolanda says:

My son had a gay 4th grade teacher in parochial Catholic school. He was one of his and my favorite teachers. It was a non issue with the school, parents, and students.

9. jonny says:

I remember when Santorum said he would never re-instate DADT because it was unfair. And when he praised that Vet for his service, who happened to mention he’s gay, during the debates, I knew he really understood the American spirit of patriotism.

Yes, he is one who will bring everybody together. E Pluribus Unum.