Love Suspended 2 Games For Stepping On Scola

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO/AP) — Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Love has been suspended two games for stomping on Rockets forward Luis Scola’s face in their game on Saturday.

The NBA announced the suspension on Monday. The incident occurred when Scola fell to the court during the third quarter. As Love headed back to the other end, he stepped on Scola’s face and upper body.

Love said after the game that the stomp was not intentional and he went to the Rockets’ locker room to apologize to Scola.

“I feel like it was a learning experience for me. It definitely won’t happen again. But there was no ill intentions in that step. More than anything, I was trying to get him on the foul on the way up. I wasn’t trying to stomp him like other people said … or anything like that,” Love said. “I just want to move forward and hopefully we can win these next two games.”

On Monday afternoon, Love also released a statement following the suspension.

“I want to publicly apologize to Luis Scola and the Houston Rockets,” the statement said. “My intention is to never hurt another player on the basketball court. I’ve always had the utmost respect for the game of basketball and all of my opponents. I also apologize to my coaches, teammates and our fans for the consequences of my actions.”

The NBA also upgraded it to a Flagrant-Two foul on Love.

The suspension means the Timberwolves will be without their leading scorer and rebounder for a home game against Sacramento on Tuesday night and a game at Memphis on Wednesday night.

“Do I think it’s fair? Absolutely not,” said head coach Rick Adelman. “I don’t know the reasoning … They don’t tell you the reasoning … I don’t know the reasoning behind two games. They haven’t said anything. You just got to move on.”

(TM and © Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. Ouch says:

didn’t see it but if that is what he did – 2 games IMO is not enough.
    WTH was he thinking???

1. Chris says:

I saw it and believe that it was unintentional… He definitely wasn’t careful about walking around the guy, but did not try to stomp him. Maybe the rest of the guys will step up and keep them on a roll!

2. jackactionhero says:

You said it. You didn’t see it.

Shouldn’t that have stopped a rational human from commenting as if they HAD seen it?

This did NOT look intentional, and he did NOT “stomp on his face” either. What bollocks.

1. Brandon says:

You placed a key word in your sentence… “Rational”.

2. Foolish says:

Right call, right apology by KL and one hopes he’s a bit wiser going forward. I doubt they would have slapped him if he had made an attepmt to avoid….he didn’t.
    Time to see what the rest of you are made of TW’s…..let’s do it

3. Ted says:

He f’ed up, realized it and it’s been addressed. He’s a decent dude, hell the whole team seems to be for once….play on

4. Look Into my Creepy Eyes says:

It’s not like Kevin ran over the guy with his Mercedes…..Amy, Amy, Amy….

5. j speedbag 64 says:

it’s kevin mchales fault for this,having his players agressively attacking and hacking kevin love, they get what they dish out besides the ref’s don’t give k love one call…way to go k love you did no wrong……go wolves

1. Wow says:

Do you look as dumb up close as you sound?
      ohhhhhhhh ….. maybe try a facial reconstruction then ?

6. j speedbag 64 says:

stomped all the texas teams too…..awesome…go wolves…..

7. Rock on lads says:

It was a Kevin payback for getting balled in the junk the last game…..BFD. He got what he earned and that’s fact. Now we get a chance to see what they look like if he ever gets injured for extended time – suck it up and give ’em hell Wolf-sters. Spank ’em

8. Ouch says:

kinda thought when I first saw it live it was a much ado about nothing. Watched it again last night from all the other cameras and angles and my opinion indeed changed. He could have done it worse but he did it intentionally and showed a lack of class in doing so I’d not thought in him.
    To bad he acted like a damn idiot – lets hope he comes back with a vengence to atone for his dumb error in judgement