Trees Of Hope: Donate to Minnesota Ovarian Cancer Alliance at 1-800-542-9226 or click here. | More

Man Convicted Of Raping Child Not On Sex Offender List

ST. PAUL, Minn. (WCCO) — A St. Paul man convicted of raping and assaulting a child, once again faces charges. His neighbors were never alerted of his past because he isn’t on the sex offender registry.

Police arrested 60-year-old Elijah Caliph Monday, for attempted criminal sexual conduct. The victim is a child who lives in his building.

Nancy Rosenblum thought she knew the neighbor who lived down the hall for years.

“I’ve known him since I moved in,” she said.

So, the sight of police outside Caliph’s door came as a surprise.

“It shocked me when I found out why they arrested him. I said, you’ve got to be kidding,” said Rosenblum.

According to the criminal complaint, Caliph lured a boy to his apartment and then unzipped his pants. The boy ran and when police arrived they found an autistic young man inside Caliph’s home. The older boy denied any physical or sexual contact with Caliph.

“I mean there’s kids running all through this building. There’s children that live here,” she said.

Caliph’s criminal history includes raping a child back in 1980 in Illinois. It’s a conviction that Rosenblum would expect to learn about through the sex offender registry.

“I never knew it wasn’t just automatic. I took it for granted,” said Rosenblum.

The sex offender registration laws in Minnesota didn’t take effect until the early 1990s.

It doesn’t include anyone who completed their sentence before the law took effect.

“A lot of different issues trying to go back,” said Mark Bliven, with the Department of Corrections.

The laws also don’t include notification for level one or two sex offenders. The community is only alerted for a level three. The idea there, is that too many alerts would lose the effectiveness, when it’s really needed for those who are at the highest risk of re-offending.

“Worrying about all the registered offenders or have bad history in the state is probably not going to be that helpful to most people,” said Bliven.

Bliven said what is helpful is to really get to know the people you deal with on a daily basis.

“Know a little more about their background. That’s what we should be doing to enhance our safety,” said Bliven.

It’s a step Rosenblum may take more seriously to protect those around her.

“I’m the type of person that would let everyone else know the office know because that is not acceptable,” she said.

Part of the challenge in retroactively adding people to the sex offender registry list is inconsistent record keeping.

Right now, there are 17,000 registered sex offenders in Minnesota.

More from Rachel Slavik
Comments

1. What the?! says:

Good God, someone pinch me – I just had the most horrifying dream! D@mn, it wasn’t a dream… 😦

2. Kevin says:

Sniff…sniff….I do love the stink of diversity in the morning….

1. tyrell says:

What up Injin, always tyeing too kepep a gur down

3. EJ says:

Aren’t there over 700,000 registered sex offenders in this country already? The list is pretty ineffective. Nobody knows what a level one, two or three difference. They just lump them all the same. If you take a leak in the woods, and get busted, your a one.
    And they say that’s only 20% that has been caught. Okay parents, know your kids, and hang out with them. Don’t let them find some other goof paying more attention to them.

4. jo says:

A state that pays more attention to weather condition warnings than sex offender notifications has some serious issues. Mark Bliven, really?? You don’t think it “helpful” for me to know if there is a panty smelling freak next door, and you’d like me to find out by doing my own background check on them? What exactly is your job, if I have to do it for you? I feel so safe knowing you work in the corrections field. As for that poor child, I think erring on the side of caution may have saved t him and potential other victims from a lifetime of horrible memories. But then maybe a semi-freezing warning will keep sex offenders indoors.

5. Bob from S MN says:

Question???? Why waste the tax payers money on this POS. Just take him out for a little walk in the woods. A price of a bullet does not cost that much. There is a lot more I would like to say but the sensors won’t let me.

1. sue says:

Because we live in America you POS like it or not!