BP Gas Station Facing Lawsuit Over Car Wash Codes

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – The BP America, Inc., gas station franchise is facing a class action lawsuit in U.S. District Court after a woman is claiming one station had sold car wash access codes to customers with illegally short access codes, according to court documents filed Friday.

The documents do not specify which BP gas station was involved in the alleged fraud.

The woman’s complaint states that she purchased a car was access code from a BP gas station on Nov. 12, 2011, but was not able to use the code immediately. It was either due to long lines at the station’s car was or because it was too cold when she went to have her car washed.

Customers can get car wash access codes when they purchase a wash either at a gas pump or from a clerk. The access code is printed on the customer’s receipt and is typically good for a certain period of time. Some stations offer codes that expire within just a few days, according to court documents.

The woman suing BP tried to use her access code on Dec. 19, 2011, more than a month after it was purchased, but her access code was rejected and her car wash was denied because it expired a week earlier, according to court documents.

The attorney representing the woman in the case says Minnesota law prohibits any expiration certificates redeemable for pre-paid goods and services within five years of the date of purchase.

The case is still under investigation at this time.

Comments

1. Al says:

Must be an attorney with too much time on her hands.

1. Tiny Tim says:

I can just imagine when she goes out on the town. A lawsuit follows, it was too small.

2. E says:

Its a 7-10 dollar loss… get over it!!!

1. David J. Conklin says:

Until it’s your loss ….

3. ok says:

Don’t Sams club codes expire as well? I do get her annoyance. The line is alway too long or it’s too cold or it’s broken. I never buy at the pump but at the entry to the car wash at Sams.

4. J says:

What is really sad is our court system is completely overrun with cases like this.

5. Destiny says:

Every car wash I’ve ever bought has a exp date on it, If it has expired I go in and they will give me a new car wash code no problem including BP. sue happy people.

6. DENNY says:

I’VE HAD THE SAME THING HAPPEN AT A LOCAL HOLIDAY STATION…THEY SOLD ME 5 WASHES & THEN I FIND OUT THAT THE LAST 2 HAD EXPIRED & THEY WOULDN’T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT…I BELIEVE IN CHANGING THE POLICY BUT I’M NOT INTO SUING THEM OVER THIS 🙂

1. kate says:

How else do you expect to get them to change their policy if you’ve already talked to them?

7. holy moly, stupid people says:

Are you kidding me?? This woman should be sued for being too stupid and using oxygen that smarter people need to use.

1. Dakota Jim says:

Wrong. If the law states that a pre-paid certificate of goods cannot expire within five years, then who is really at fauly? Someone needs to come forward and force ther business to comply.

1. Mike says:

In that case i should be able to get a movie ticket and use it any time, and if the movie isnt in theaters 5 years later, I can sue them.

Also, last time i checked it was for gift certificates. This isnt a gift certificate. This is a single use car wash code to get into the car wash

1. Real Talk says:

Except with movie tickets you purchase for a scheduled event (ie. 7pm showing of Safe House). They are not purchased to be used at anytime within the next 30 days.

I think the crux of the issue is like you said….is a pre-paid single akin to a gift certificate or not?

8. CJ says:

Monday I’ll be filing 50 million lawsuits against obese people who I find offensive. Gonna score big on this one!

9. I'll sue someone even when I am the meathead says:

Another case where a woman can’t follow simple directions.

10. chinwhiskers says:

Another case of “Rules apply to everybody except ME” If she wins and gets her $7 back & lawyer gets half, will both be happy?

11. Really? A car wash? C'mon! At least she didn't sue for not knowing the coffee was hot...hmph says:

She stated she couldn’t use it within the time frame alloted because of either “long lines or it was too cold,” long lines I’d believe, but too cold? This has been an extremely mild winter…there is no way it was too cold for a car wash or the lines were too long every day within that one month period. I wonder if BP can use MN weather reports as evidence against her claim?