Drug Dealer Sentenced To 32 Years In Prison

FARGO, N.D. (AP) — A violent drug dealer hailed by associates in North Dakota and Minnesota for his ability to stay out of jail was sentenced Monday to 32 years in federal prison.

Jeremy Jon Hoff, nicknamed Johnny 5 for his standing on a regional list of most wanted criminals, was convicted of threatening a fellow drug dealer with a loaded handgun and hiring a hit man to kill two witnesses.

“I don’t know if he was trying to become Johnny No. 1, but that’s what he came to be,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Chris Myers said during Monday’s sentencing hearing.

Hoff, 28, had pleaded guilty earlier to conspiracy to deliver methamphetamine, use of a firearm during a drug-trafficking crime, witness tampering and two counts of solicitation to murder a witness. He faced life in prison without parole.

Defense attorney Steven Mottinger acknowledged Hoff’s criminal history and called his client a cowboy, a jerk and a punk. He said Hoff got his kicks out of being a big shot in small areas of southwestern Minnesota where he grew up.

“He was the guy in Bird Island. He was the guy in Renville. He was the guy in Granite City,” Mottinger said.

Mottinger asked for a 20- to 25-year prison sentence.

“I think he’s starting to realize he did some really bad things and caused some harm to people,” the defense attorney said.

Prosecutors said Hoff began dealing in southwestern Minnesota, where he grew up, and then began moving large amounts of meth to the small southeastern North Dakota town of Valley City with three associates. They said his level of violence escalated along the way.

His earlier record included running over someone with a vehicle and beating a person with a hammer, Myers said.

He later pointed a loaded handgun at the head of a man he suspected of being an informant because the man refused to take a hit from a meth pipe during a party at a trailer house in Granite Falls, Minn. Hoff then fired into the floor, at which point the man took the drug, the prosecutor said.

“The purpose was to scare the person, which it did, obviously,” Myers said. “It scared everybody in that trailer.”

Hoff hatched his plan to kill two other drug dealers in a Minnesota jail after he was arrested, investigators said. He allegedly offered to pay another inmate money for the jobs and drew a detailed map to a house in Valley City where one of the men lived.

U.S. District Judge Ralph Erickson said Monday he was amazed Hoff was able to stay out of jail during a 12-year stretch in which he showed “no law-abiding behavior.”

“It’s dumb luck that there aren’t people dead in this case,” Erickson said.

Hoff told the judge he wanted to apologize to everyone affected by his actions and said drugs controlled his life and led to poor choices.

“I never meant for my life to turn out this way,” he said.

Erickson said he received letters of support from Hoff’s mom, dad, wife, son, brother, aunt, cousin, pastor and former girlfriend. The judge told Hoff as some family members cried that he should pay the price for his violent acts.

“You chose a path that involved murder and mayhem, and in the end I have no alternative,” Erickson said.

(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

1. jackactionhero says:

He’s Johnny 5 after the robot’s name in Short Circuit.

Number 5 Alive, Stephanie!!

He’s gonna be Johnny in the Deuce pretty soon….

1. Kevin says:

Not clever, funny or witty. Will you shut up and go away already??

1. Me to says:

I thought that was funny.

1. Kevin says:

“Johnny in the Deuce” is what brings a smile to your face? Why am i not surprised in the least.

2. Amy Senser' says:

yawn…well, he never called me. Nor signed up for my class either unless it was under an alias. Have you jackactionzero ?

Rule #1
      Do not stop. Flle. Stash vehicle. Laywer up. Detox the body
      Now come forward.
      It is all covered in my class.
      The registration form is online for your convenience.

2. Richard Cheese says:

Hey dumb A$$ don’t you know you shouldn’t trust people in jail. You’ll figure it out by the time you’re done with your sentence. Duct Tape can’t even fix stupid.

3. Mabel Hornschlinger says:

Good point Mr. Cheddar!

4. Aron says:

To all the dumb f-ing people making ur comments…. you didnt know anything about him except what this article is saying he was a friend…. and when he was sober was a great person to f-off

5. Perry Heck says:

I know Johnny personaly. In fact he used to play with my kids when they where young and I gave him the nick name Johnny5 after I saw the Short Circuit movie. So when reporting the news find out the facts instead of reporting just what you think are the facts!

6. Tim Anderson says:

I also know Johnny personally, he is a great guy when he is clean. This whole situation is really tough to hear. I have not spoken to him since 2008, so if any family members read this please tell him that I am thinking of him and praying for him.

7. bosch coffee maker says:

A person necessarily assist to make critically articles I’d state. This is the first time I frequented your web page and to this point? I surprised with the research you made to make this actual put up incredible. Magnificent task!