Cyclists Head To Minn. Capitol For Summit

ST. PAUL (WCCO) — Biking is one of the most popular forms of transportation in the Twin Cities. On Monday, cycling advocates rolled on into the State Capitol.

Supporters packed into the Capitol rotunda — many on bikes. They were there to encourage more state-sponsored cycling programs and funding.

The Bike Caucus is a bipartisan group made up of members in the House and Senate.

The group will work on promoting bike-friendly programs, including the Safe Routes to School program, which could be included in this session’s bonding bill.

Comments

1. 21Dort says:

Hmmm well maybe they could start licensing bicycles at say $50 / year and give part of the money to trails the other part to mass transit , oh gee could probably give some toward the extra rush hour lanes on 394 !

2. Kevin says:

Getting my spandex together as I type.

3. Swamp Fox says:

Hope the bikers learn the law, rules of the road, and bike safety in a motor vehicle environment they want to be part of. Also, for rights to use the roadways I hope they realize that their bikes should be licensed and conform to bicycle safety regulations. Oh, before I forget, I hope the bikers realize by weight of law they are subject to traffic violation tickets just like us drivers. Then maybe safety for all road users will prevail.

4. we says:

Is Pee Wee Herman in town to lead the rally?

5. Spanky says:

I love fat girls in spandex!

6. schoolbusdriver says:

Maybe they could start paying the license fees then they might not need more money.

1. Uncle Rico says:

No way. I should be getting tax deductions and a check every week for not contributing to pollution and gridlock.

1. schoolbusdriver says:

Not likely. I don’t think cyclists should get rewarded for running stop signs including the one on a school bus, swerving in and out of traffic, not indicating turns, not yeilding to pedestrians in crosswalks, not paying their license fees. I’ve had kids almost get run over by bicycles that don’t obey the law. The cities already put bike lanes on streets with no extra room on them so they move the lanes or the vehicles that pay for the streets to single lanes. I’d say that is contributing to gridlock.