Prelim Hearing Resumes In Wis. Starved-Teen Case

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — A preliminary hearing will resume for the Madison couple accused of starving and torturing the man’s 15-year-old daughter.

The hearing is scheduled for Friday afternoon. It began Tuesday but was postponed because the prosecution’s lead witness had a sick child.

The witness is the doctor who examined the girl last month after the teen ran away from home wearing thin pajamas. The doctor diagnosed the 70-pound girl as a victim of “serial child torture with prolonged exposure to definite starvation.”

Defense attorney William Hayes represents the father. He has hinted that he questions the girl’s mental health. He said he reviewed her story “and the word ‘rubbish’ came to mind.”

A preliminary hearing gives the judge an opportunity to decide whether there’s enough evidence to warrant a trial.

(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

One Comment

  1. Cheers says:

    A mean and biting animal is often simply ordered to be put down

    I am suggesting the same be done here to the parents. To the perverted son – castration and then nailed to a pole…..let nature take care of the details

  2. Honest says:

    The defense attorney is trying the “mental illness” angle is he? That’s not going to work. The physical evidence is stacked VERY heavily against them. Right down to her frail body and arrested puberty. They shouldn’t see the light of day..ever..again.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From WCCO | CBS Minnesota

The Leaderboard
Good Question

Listen Live