Man Charged In Shooting On Nicollet Mall
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – A 20-year-old Minneapolis man is facing two felony charges for his role in a March 1 shooting incident on Nicollet Mall in Minneapolis.
Deonta Martez Yarborough was charged Thursday in Hennepin County Court with second-degree assault and carrying a weapon without a permit in connection with the incident. According to the complaint, Minneapolis Police were called to a report of shots fired on Nicollet Mall near Grant Avenue on March 1.
When authorities arrived, they learned that six to eight shots had been fired between two black men who were apparently shooting at each other. One of the suspects was identified as Dominique Watson, but he denied shooting or any handling of a weapon.
He told police he had been jumped by a man identified as Yarborough and said the two had been feuding for months, the complaint states. Surveillance video from the scene shows the two shooting at each other.
The footage was taken in a public plaza next to Yarborough’s residence and shows him following Watson up a set of stairs. Yarborough appears to have a gun and was staring down Watson, who was trying to hide from view behind a pillar. The two then began firing at each other, according to the complaint.
Authorities executed a search warrant at Yarborough’s residence on Tuesday, where they found a 9mm handgun as well as two discharged casings that were found in the area of where the shooting allegedly took place. Yarborough does not have a permit to carry a handgun and has been convicted twice for having a pistol without a permit.
If convicted on the current charges, Yarborough faces up to 12 years in prison and $24,000 in fines.