$40K Cello Stolen From Man’s SUV Recovered

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Police say a $40,000 cello that was stolen from a man’s unlocked SUV has been recovered.

On Friday afternoon, police responded to a 911 call reporting that a cello in a case had been recovered in the 2800 block of Harriet Avenue South. Police said a man called a local media station and reported he had stolen a $40,000 cello and wanted to turn it in.

The man then met with a reporter, who was given the cello. The reporter then called 911 and turned the cello over to police.

Last week, the thief stole the cello from inside 26-year-old Scott Lykins’ SUV, which was located on Hennepin Avenue in Uptown between 33rd and 34th streets.

Police say whoever took the cello has no idea how much it cost and that the thief wouldn’t likely know where to unload it.

Police would also like to remind people that a car – even a SUV — is not a safe.

“It brings about our message that we’ve always said: Don’t leave valuables in your vehicle,” said Sgt. Bill Palmer of Minneapolis police.

1. Darren says:

That local media outlet was KSTP Channel 5. Since WCCO doesn’t have enough guts to say it.

1. O John says:

I think the real story might goo like this “man committing insurance fraud finds friend who anonymously returns the not-stolen cello because he realized he couldn’t pull it off.”

1. Exactly says:

Who leaved anything valued that high in an unlocked car in plain site, in Minneapolis?? What a fool

2. ratings says:

You sure it wasn’t Howard Stern,since he has higher ratings than wcco am and tv? (Darren-they’ll probably censor this since you are right)

3. steve says:

lock your car doors!!!

4. Alma Schwingler says:

I like Orange Cello with cut up Bananas in it!

1. What Da Fog says:

What the?

5. Hillbilly Hub says:

Smells like Belly Button Jam to me!

1. Morrie Qentinslipsch says:

Mushroom Flavored?

1. Tanman says:

He may be a mushroom but he is a really fun guy.

6. k$tp says:

Its ok to say KSTP-TV, bias CBS-Minnesota, its not a vial word.

7. Journeyone says:

If you do not lock your car doors then you deserve getting whatever stolen. It goes to show how much this guy thought of his cello. I would have lost the bet, I thought he did it for insurance money.

8. Journeyone says:

Whenever I leave a comment on WCCO, it always comes back and says I am sending too many comments. Oh wait it was my first one. Or it says I already said that.
    What I said was if he doesn’t know to lock his car he deserves to get it stolen. And I also said I was sure he did this for insurance money.

1. Uncle Rico says:

Nobody “deserves” to have anything stolen from them. Thats the same as saying that women deserved to be harmed because of how they were dressed. What’s wrong is that people think it’s ok to take things from other people that do not belong to them. It’s alarming that so many people create they red herring catalysts to indirectly justify crime. So strange, dig deeper.

9. Robert says:

Remember, suv’s are not safe. Good lord.

10. Lisa says:

Locking your car doors does not stop a thief; they just break the windows.

11. See BS says:

Thank goodness they found his chelo — he hide a GPS locator on it somewhere.

12. Carl says:

Why is this cello on the news? How is it any different from someone else getting stuff stolen from their car? Not to be mean but it was his irresponsibility that led it to being stolen.

I find it fishy that this guy gets 5 mins. of tv time while other people don’t.

13. okiedokie says:

The theif had more common sense than the victom.

14. m says:

I watched him on the news. at first he didn’t even remember if he took it to the resturant or left it in the car? he was drunk at the time.

15. m says:

16. I’m a musician, so when I first heard the story that began “A man’s $40k Cello was stolen,” I was aghast. Then I heard that he had left it in his car, and that’s how it got stolen in the first place.
    What an idiot.
    ‘effin deserved it if you asked me, and would have deserved it if it had not been returned. What a moron.

17. just sayin says:

Hmmm wonder who the thief was.