WCCO EYE4 LOGO WCCO Radio wcco-eye-green01, ww color green
Severe T-Storm Warning: Brown, Carver, Hennepin, McLeod Nicollet, Redwood, RenvilleScott, Sibley, Wright Counties | Radar | Latest Forecast

Local

Fatal Garage Fire Blamed On Careless Smoking

View Comments
(credit: CBS)

(credit: CBS)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up
Today's Most Popular Video
  1. Tornado Touches Down In Northwestern Minn.
  2. HSSR: Sept. 19, 2014 - Coach Of The Week – Bill Weiss
  3. HSSR: Sept. 19, 2014 - Tyrone Carter's 1-On-1 Coaching
  4. An Alligator On The Loose In Minnesota?
  5. Mike's Mix: The Big Easy

ST. PAUL, Minn. (WCCO) — Authorities say the garage fire that killed a man on the east side of St. Paul Thursday morning was likely caused by careless smoking.

Don Pnewski, 53, was trapped in the fire that spread rapidly through the free-standing garage he was using as a home.

The fire broke out at about 2 a.m. on the 800 block of Juno Street. Shortly after they arrived the roof collapsed. St. Paul Fire Marshal Steve Zaccard said the blaze was not survivable.

Pnewski died from smoke inhalation, according to the Ramsey County Medical Examiner.

Zaccard says it is a violation of St. Paul city code to live in your garage. Had inspectors known, Pnewski would have been ordered to leave.

A half dozen friends said Pnewski had struggled for years with alcohol, that he had not worked a regular job  in years and spent much of his days drinking with friends. But all remembered him as a kind man who offered to do jobs.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,867 other followers