Sodastream: Does It Really Work?

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Sales of Sodastream are surging as more and more families are making their own pop at home.

The company reports it sold 2.7 million units in 2011, a 41-percent increase over the previous year.

WCCO’s Chris Stanford found it is fairly east to put together and use, but went to his colleagues in the newsroom and took to the streets of downtown Minneapolis to find out what people think about the taste.

The results of the taste test: Seven out of the 10 could tell which was the brand name and which was Sodastream. Three out of the 10 say they preferred the taste of Sodastream.

Stanford tested the Sodastream Genesis Model, which comes with a variety pack of flavors. You can find it for about $100.

Comments

1. Elwood says:

WHAT IS SODASTREAM????!!!!!! Describe it for those who never heard of it!!!!

1. jackactionhero says:

It is a CO2 cartridge like the ones used in BB guns or Paintball guns. It shoots carbon dioxide into the liquid and gives it fizz.

2. tan pup says:

Just another reason to fill the landfills and contaminate your body – with more junk.

3. Jill Gagner says:

Elwood – its a system you buy and take home and make your own soda pop. I work at a Herbergers – they are sold there – otherwise I wouldn’t know what they are either.

4. ELLEN says:

I BOUGHT ONE FOR MY HUSBAND FOR CHRISTMAS LAST YEAR AND HE LOVES IT. HE MADE SOME CONVERSIONS TO IT SO THAT IT USED A 10 LBS CO2 TANK INSTEAD OF THE SMALL ONES THEY WANT YOU TO BUY FOR AN OUTLANDISH PRICE. WE REALLY LIKE IT AND YOU CAN GET YOUR SYRUPS NAME BRAND IF YOU ASK AROUND, YOU JUST NEED THE SPACE TO STORE THE BOXES THEY COME IN.

1. Pat says:

TURN OFF YOUR CAP LOCKS YOU IDIOT!

5. Catherine Gray says:

I’ve had mine since the original was made about 10 yrs ago. I use it to make bubble water (think “mendota springs”) I think it’s fantastic.

6. randal thom says:

it actually saves on landfill trash,, cause one bottle of syrup is equal to 32 cans of soda.. so that is one of our selling points.. you can also use it fizz up other products. so no, the person who threw out the comment about it being another thing to fill landfills is way off base..

7. Doink says:

It’s a carbonator. You can use ANY flavored syrup you like actually, you don’t have to use JUST SodaStream syrups. You don’t even have to use syrup. You can use essentially anything and sweeten it with whatever sweetener you prefer. It has saved our household a bit of money. We don’t drink pop often, but we do like Mendota Springs and this is perfect for it. I’m confused by the title:” Does it really work?” Um duh. Is it a fabulous product, yes.

8. Emily says:

Love this series, Chris keep it coming.

9. jackactionhero says:

My uncle used to do this in the 70s. It’s a passing fad though and will be gone soon. There just is no market for this on a long-term basis for consumers.

10. Jo says:

I use mine to make carbonated water and then add lemon juice to it. Tastes great! I just like he fizzy water and I don’t have to buy a bunch of bottles or cans of water.

1. Doink says:

That’s mostly what we do. I’d say it’s DEFINITELY more healthy than “the real thing”.

11. jackactionhero says:

Why do you care enough about someone else drinking pop that you call them all morons? Are you having a bad day, or are you always just a grouchy pain in the a55?

12. js says:

Why mess around with this when you can have the syrup put into an IV drip?

13. SP says:

Not to get all political here, and I’m not sure this will impact anyone’s purchasing decisions, but the vast majority of SodaStream’s products are made in Israeli settlements…

14. Tenbears says:

Tenbears uses it to blow cool bubbles in the bath tub.