CYRSTAL, Minn. (AP) — Hennepin County authorities say there’s not enough evidence to file charges following an investigation into a newborn baby whose body was found buried in the backyard of a Crystal couple.
County Attorney Mike Freeman says there were conflicting stories of whether the baby had been born alive.
Authorities learned of the baby’s death in late February after investigating a domestic incident at the home. A man eventually told police he had buried a dead baby in the backyard in 2008.
Police thawed the ground and dug up the remains, which investigators say were of a baby born after 30 to 38 weeks of gestation.
Crystal police Chief John Banick said in a statement Friday that evidence wasn’t found to move forward with criminal charges.
The case is now considered closed.
(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)