Teen To Stand Trial As Adult In Mpls Shooting
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A Minneapolis teen has been ordered to stand trial as an adult on charges he fatally shot a 16-year-old in an alley.
The Hennepin County Attorney’s office says 16-year-old Malcolm Jackson agreed to waive adult certification proceedings Monday.
Jackson is charged with intentional second-degree murder. He’s due in court Tuesday.
Trequan Sykes was found shot twice in the back in the entryway of a south Minneapolis apartment building on June 1. He died at HCMC.
According to the complaint, Jackson told police he brought the gun to school and hid it nearby. After classes he retrieved the revolver and confronted Sykes. The charges say Jackson shot Sykes as Sykes tried to run back into his house.
Jackson told investigators he had been in a fight with the victim’s brother.
(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)