MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – A teenager admitted Monday to killing a 50-year-old homeless man in a robbery in north Minneapolis earlier this year, the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office said.
Seventeen-year-old Andre Steward, Jr., pleaded guilty to second-degree unintentional murder in connection with the death of Harry Brown. Steward is slated to be sentenced on Oct. 15; he is expected to receive the guideline sentence of 150 months in prison, the attorney’s office said.
When in court Monday, Steward said he and 23-year-old Willis Richardson were looking for a person to rob on the night of June 29. Around 9 p.m., they saw Brown walking along 18th Street North, near Bryant Avenue, carrying a bag from a liquor store.
Richardson then attacked Brown by hitting him in the legs with a baseball bat, but Brown fought back. In order to help out Richardson in the fight, Steward said he punched Brown in the face, knocking him down. Richardson and Steward then robbed Brown and used his money ($5) to buy alcohol.
Life support kept Brown alive before he died on July 8. He died from the blunt force head injuries, according to the Hennepin County Medical Examiner’s Office.
Richardson is scheduled to be in court on Oct. 11.