Filed underSeen On WCCO-TV
Makes 4 round Belgian-style pumpkin waffles
1/4 cup light brown sugar
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
2 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and warm, plus more for brushing the waffle iron
– Lightly oil the waffle iron with melted butter and set to the desired temperature.
– Combine brown sugar and cornstarch in a large bowl. Whisk together to break apart the cornstarch. Add the remaining dry ingredients, and whisk to blend.
– Separate eggs: yolks go in a medium sized bowl and whites get set aside in a smaller bowl.
– Add pumpkin and milk to the egg yolks. Whisk to blend and set aside.
– Whip egg whites with a hand mixer on high until stiff peaks form for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Set aside.
– Pour melted butter into the yolk/milk/pumpkin mixture. As you pour, whisk to combine.
– Add the pumpkin mixture to the dry ingredients, and mix them together until just combined. A little lumpiness is fine. That will smooth out when the egg whites are added.
– Slide the whipped egg whites out of the bowl and onto the mixture you just prepared. Gently fold them in until no white bits are obvious.
– Once the waffle iron is heated, pour in approx 1/2C batter. Cook time is about 2.5 minutes, depending on your waffle iron.