MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – A Minnesota woman who received multiple injections of the contaminated steroid medicine at the center of a nationwide recall, filed a lawsuit in Minnesota federal court on Thursday seeking damages and the creation of a statewide class of injured people, according to a press release from Sieben, Grose, Von Holtum, and Carey.
The release states that Barbe Puro, of Savage, received the steroid injections sold by the New England Compounding Center, which has recalled all vials of the medicine after government health officials traced an outbreak of fungal meningitis to the injections. She sought the injections to ease pain in her neck.
Officials from the Minnesota Department of Health contacted Puro to tell her that she had been injected with the contaminated steroid by the Boston-area company, the release explains. Puro underwent medical treatment and a painful spinal tap as a result, and her future health status is uncertain, the release said.
The release also said Puro seeks damages for her injuries and that she requests the court create a class of Minnesotans who have been injured after they received the contaminated injections.