Coleman Rules Out 2014 Senate Rematch With Franken
ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) – Former U.S. Sen. Norm Coleman says he won’t seek a rematch with Sen. Al Franken in 2014.
Coleman tweeted word of his decision Wednesday, after it was first reported in the National Journal. He lost to Democrat Franken by a few hundred votes in 2008, in a race that prompted a statewide recount and an ensuing court challenge that delayed Franken’s seating until months after the election.
Coleman tweeted that he thinks a strong Republican candidate will emerge against Franken. He suggested U.S. Reps. Erik Paulsen or John Kline. He says he hopes to focus on Minnesota rather than Washington.
That suggests a possible interest in running for governor, with Democrat Mark Dayton also on the 2014 ballot. Coleman previously ran for governor in 1998 but lost to Jesse Ventura.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)