MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Minneapolis Police say a 41-year-old man has been charged in the City’s first homicide of 2013.
Mauricio Antonio Orochera, of Minneapolis, faces one felony count of intentional second-degree murder in connection to the Jan. 6 incident.
According to the criminal complaint, at 3:25 a.m., Minneapolis police officers were dispatched to a house at 2907 Russell Avenue North on a disturbance call.
Upon arrival, officers found an unresponsive man inside the house who had been stabbed. Medical personnel arrived soon after and determined the man was dead.
Orochera was located in the kitchen area. He was also taken to the hospital for medical treatment.
A witness, the home owner, told police that the two had been arguing and began fighting earlier, but were stopped and went into different areas of the house. The witness then went into the kitchen where he saw Orochera armed with a knife, the complaint said.
Orochera then pushed his way into the victim’s bedroom and attacked him with the knife, according to the complaint.
The Hennepin County Medical Examiner identified the victim as 35-year-old Ever Gonzalez-Canales and determined that he died as a result of a sharp force injury to the chest.
Orochera is currently at the Hennepin County Jail. If convicted, he could face up to 40 years in prison.