Immigration Dept. Now Investigating Kidnapping Case
Get Breaking News First
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A kidnapped baby boy is safe Thursday morning and back with his mother after a frightening series of events Wednesday afternoon.
The 8-month-old was taken from a south Minneapolis apartment Wednesday. Police found Carlos Orozco in the basement of a Minneapolis home four hours after he was kidnapped, and authorities arrested a suspect.
Isabel Diaz-Castillo is currently being held in the Hennepin County Jail on kidnapping and burglary charges and is expected to be formally charged on Friday.
A spokesperson for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement informed WCCO that the department is now also involved in the investigation. They have placed an immigration detainer on her following her arrest.
Diaz-Castillo is in the country illegally, and if she posts bond immigration officials would take her into custody. Her brother said their family is originally from Mexico, and they are trying to get to the bottom of what happened.
The boy’s mother Victoria Orozco was reunited with her son in an ambulance outside of their apartment on Portland Avenue South after spending four hours apart.
“My heart just like made a turn and it felt a lot better knowing that he was fine, that there was nothing wrong with him,” she said.
Earlier in the day, Victoria went to take a shower and put her son in his car seat in their apartment. That’s when police say the boy was kidnapped.
An Amber Alert was issued to help find him. Police were asking for help finding a Red Kia car and Isabel Diaz-Castilla, who the mother had known for about a month after meeting her at a Laundromat.
Victoria Orozco said when she discovered her boy was missing, she had a feeling Diaz-Castillo was the one who took her son.
The suspect’s brother Israel Diaz-Castillo said he believes the two women have a relationship or friendship, but to what extent he couldn’t say. He also said his sister has been struggling with some personal issues.