MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Rochester firefighters may have channeled their inner Samuel L. Jackson while investigating an apartment fire and finding a few slithering victims.
Officials say crews found loose pythons slithering around a bedroom while inspecting a fire at the Summit Square Apartments Monday afternoon.
A neighbor called 911 after hearing a fire alarm and smelling smoke. Firefighters found the ball pythons, after arriving on scene.
Crews say they weren’t sure what kind of snake they were, so called animal control and a Minnesota Department of Natural Resource snake expert for assistance.
Three snakes, all nearly three-feet long, were found. Authorities say one of the snakes died and the others were sent to the veterinarian to be checked out.
Investigators believe a warming device for the reptiles likely started the fire. The snakes’ plastic cages were both destroyed.
The resident and snake owner wasn’t home at the time of the fire but a sprinkler system put out most of the flames and kept it from spreading to other apartments.